Top 15" or wait for rumored quad core MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Byousee, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Byousee macrumors newbie

Byousee

I'm needing to upgrade my mobile end for lab purposes (computer science) and I was going to get the top end MBP 15" with the 3.06 GHz and 4GBs of RAM. I was looking at getting this no later than Thanksgiving, but now that this is rumored I'm not sure if I should wait. I really just want a 15" and couldn't see Apple making all the MBPs quad core. Even if I were going to get a quad core MBP it would have to be at least 2.8GHz quad. So on that note I see the 17" MBP having the quad core and maybe the top 15", but again, if I were to wait and get a quad core MBP assuming there will be upgrades like this it would have to be at least a 2.8GHz (just my thing). What do you all think I should do? Wait it out for the upgrades or get one Thanksgiving if they are not out yet. Also, I seem recalling Apple having a program, that if you buy a new Mac within so many days of new models being released, they will take care of you. I'm I making this up?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think we're a bit of a ways off before you'll see a quad core MBP. This may even be the coveted G5 PowerBook everyone wished for and never really saw. In other words, you could be waiting a long time.

3. Byousee thread starter macrumors newbie

Byousee

Upgrade

You make a good point and I don't want to/can't wait to far after Thanksgiving to get the MBP. Still with the 6,1 and 6,2 showing up I'm trying to decide if I should wait. Also, what about the exchange policy on recently bought Macs and new ones releasing within so many days?
    Thanks for all and any replies.

4. RabidBear macrumors member

RabidBear

IIRC this usually applies to computers that are ordered and awaiting shipment that get automatically upgraded in the pipeline. However, you may be able to return one if < 30 days and get an upgrade.

5. Byousee thread starter macrumors newbie

Byousee

Could you explain the 30 days to me b/c I only run into the 14days return. Thanks

6. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

7. Byousee thread starter macrumors newbie

Byousee

Quad core vs. Dual

So you think even the < 2.8GHz Quad will do better than the 3.xGHz. With gaming, design and programming/software developing you think the Quad would be worth it?

8. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Absolutely have to wait now. MBP's and iMac upgrades are very closely linked.

9. Byousee thread starter macrumors newbie

Byousee

I think it is decided, I will wait for a while. Thanks to all the advice

10. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

The i7 is much faster pr GHz, it features HT and can scale up CPU frequencies when you run on fewer than 4 cores.

GHz doesn't matter! A 2GHz i7 will do better than the 3GHz Core2Duo in most scenarios, and in those that actually can use 4 cores it will be nearly twice as fast. The 2.0GHz i7 is also faster than the Extreme Core2 Quad 2.53 GHz

11. Leo72 macrumors member

I suppose that we'll see 820QM on MacBook Pro (i hope that i will be wrong :p).

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

13. NullAll macrumors newbie

Just bought 17 MacBook pro with 3.06ghz ...?

Hello all,
    I just received my new MacBook pro 17 with the 3.06ghz. This is my first
    mac ever and I'm amazed, it's just great!
    I'm wondering though since I payed top dollars for a top machine
    should not I have waited for the quad and if there is any way to get apple to replace it in any way. Any thoughts and remarks are welcome.

Thanks!

14. NullAll macrumors newbie

Just happy!

Actually I'm replying to my own question since I came to a
    the conclusion that I'm more than satisfied with my purchase since it is a wonderful computer and is more than sufficient for my needs. Technology will always improve so as long as we are happy with what we have NOW we should not compare it to what only will be in the FUTURE. I'm just extatic with my new wundermachine ! Let us all Macbook Pro owners just rejoice with what IS NOW since we are really lucky!!!
    I'm just extatic with my wonderful brand new top of the line MacBook Pro 17 inch nonglossy wundermachine! Boy it feels good. :)

15. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Just buy it now, not worth waiting for it (won't be here for quite some time)