Top 4 movies

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by wvuwhat, Mar 15, 2008.

1. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Figured I'd change it up a little bit. Top 4 movies and why?

-The Departed - Great story and as a Boston/Irish person, love the dialogue
    -The Rock - Cage fan and I'm not afraid to admit it
    -No Country for Old Men - HUGE Coen Bros. fan (not to mention Final Cut Pro used in this movie), look it up...
    -Tin Cup - Big golf fan and this movie speaks to me, because I'm not one of those ultra-rich golfers, but have yet to qualify for the U.S. Open, thought about it, but not quite ready (+3 handicap)

Keep it going...

Mac rules (from a new convert)...

2. BengalDuck macrumors regular

I'm not much to criticize peoples' favorites lists, because it's all opinion. But don't you think it's silly to have two movies that have been out just about a year in your top four favorites of all time? Don't you want to see how they stand up over the course of five or ten or twenty years?

Anyways, not in any order and probably far more than four, but...

Clerks - love the dialogue. I'm a huge KS fan and this enabled it all. Dogma might be more cheeky and cleverly humorous to me but Randall and Dante are fabulous together.

Pulp Fiction - Taranteno's best work. Return of John Travolta. Samuel L Jackson was incredible. All characters are deep and interesting. Can watch this movie any time it's replayed on HBO.

Christmas Vacation & Bad News Bears (original) - I grew up watching these movies with my family all the time. So many classic quotables that are routinely pulled out during family reunions and dinners.

Animal House - Classic movie. Filmed at my school (Univ. of Oregon). My uncle is in about six scenes. As a college student I can still relate to almost all of it. Movie has held up well over the years IMHO.

Love Actually - Fantastic movie all around, even if it is a chick flick. Filmed beautifully. Kiera Knightley :heart.

I generally prefer comedies over everything else, but I don't think Anchorman, Supertroopers, Tommy Boy, or even Stranger Than Fiction are worthy of being a top movie, just a personal favorite. I love almost all of Wes Andersons work, Spielberg's work, and some recent movies such as Crash and The Departed but it's tough to list those as a top favorite for me.

3. wvuwhat thread starter macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Good movies, this is exactly what I'm looking for. I don't believe that the age of the movies makes a difference. I was more influenced (etc.) from the Departed than I was from a Casablanca for example. Time is not of importance.