Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rt&Dzine

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
I loved this movie, partly because of its eccentricities, and partly because of the incomparable Marianne Sägebrecht The television series bears very little resemblance to the film.

Marianne had another memorable performance in Zuckerbaby, the German film that was later remade into the American film Sugarbaby (starring Ricki Lake).

Interesting. Marianne "makes" the film. Loved the haunting music too. I didn't know there was a tv series. I had to look up FA. Haha.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I just saw Scott Pilgrim tonight. Amazing. Best movie since my last favourite movie. ;)

This type of question is impossible to answer, so for now, I'll just say that Dark Knight, Inception, Juno, and Scott Pilgrim are on my list. They're also films I've seen over the past 2 years that I absolutely loved.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
Interesting. Marianne "makes" the film. Loved the haunting music too. I didn't know there was a tv series.

The TV series starred the unlikely duo of Carol Burnett and Whoopi Goldberg, if I'm not mistaken. Yes, Marianne was the centerpiece of the film, and her performance in Zuckerbaby is equally poignant, if you know German or don't mind subtitles.

I had to look up FA. Haha.

There's no shame in my game. Take a look at the celebs I posted in the current "Celebrity Crushes" thread. :)

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
Choosing to forgo all films mentioned thus far, i have come up with a list of films that i like released after i was born, and those from before

A Good Year
The Firm
The Rainmaker
Trainspotting
Lucky Number Slevin

Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid
Chariots Of Fire
The Untouchables
Bridge On The River Kwai
Cocktail

phas3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
Wow. That's ok. I could watch Casablanca every day for the rest of my life...I somehow identify with Rick Blaine. It's not only a classic, but it's a great story of love, sacrifice, loyalty, and honor. It also has some of the greatest lines in cinema history:

Rick: "I never plan that far ahead"

Rick: "That's so long ago I can't remember"

Rick: I'm a drunkard.
Renault: Which makes Rick a citizen of the world.

Renault: I'm shocked...SHOCKED to find that gambling is going on in here!
Courpier: Your winnings sir.
Renault: Oh, thank you very much.

Rick: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine.

And that's just scratching the surface...Bogart is top notch in this film and is surpassed only by his performance in the Maltese Falcon.

To each their own though.

I've never watch Casablanca but I'm acquiring it as we speak!

oilers15

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
this isn't a list of the best movies but of good movies:
  • The Shawshank Redemption
  • Green Mile
  • Forrest Gump
  • Godfather
  • Pulp Fiction

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
My list (sorry more than 5):

Duck Soup (Marx Bros.)
The Wizard of Oz
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Shawshank Redemption
Seven
The Bourne...anything
Bruce Almighty
Beat Street
Step Up 2 & 3
Stomp the Yard
You Got Served
Passion of the Christ

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
Inland Empire
Mulholland Drive
Donnie Darko
Gummo
Little Miss Sunshine

5 Black and White films:

Casablanca
The Maltese Falcon
The 39 Steps
Seven Samurai
The Hidden Fortress

5 Color Films

Ran
North by Northwest
LOTR (all 3)

Unfortunately, a lot of people under 50 deprive themselves of the pleasure of watching B&W films for some reason. For those who find themselves prejudiced against B&W, check out some of the recent Blu-Ray versions of some of these films (not everything is available on BD yet) -- Blu-Ray generally does a better job of conveying the visual subtleties of the Black and White era.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Well that's not black and white because of its age but it's certainly an interesting one. The audio played its own role in that film.

Fantastic film and I agree about the audio, which is why I bought the soundtrack. But I don't own a copy of the film...

eraser1.jpg eraser2.jpg

AnimaLeo

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2009
Yeah Harmony Korine is such a crazy film maker. I've never seen a film like Gummo before, or since.

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
1. Casablanca (Bogie)
2. Adventures of Robin Hood (Errol Flynn)
3. To Kill a Mockingbird (Gregory Peck)
4. Treasure of the Sierra Madre (Bogie)
5. The Godfather Part ! (they should have stopped there).

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
In no particular order, and generally the more recent movies:

The Dark Knight
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
UP
Inception
The Count of Monte Cristo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.