Top 5 Movies

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by filmbufs, Aug 30, 2015.

1. filmbufs macrumors 6502

filmbufs

It's time to play, Name Your Top 5 Movies!

If you had to pick 5 of your favorite movies, what would they be? Everyone's list will likely be different, as will the reasons for picking one movie over the other. Give it a go, use whatever criteria you wish and rattle off five of your favorite films.

1. The Godfather - practically flawless.
    the rest in no particular order:
    Citizen Kane
    Apocalypse Now
    Casablanca
    The Maltese Falcon

2. sartrekid macrumors 6502

Hard to do just five, so I chose six, which is still not enough... :)

1. The Last Wave [1977] - My absolute #1 movie of all time.

A Sydney lawyer defends five Aborigines in a ritualized taboo murder and in the process learns disturbing things about himself and premonitions.

2. Cleopatra (original with Liz Taylor and Richard Burton) [1963]

Historical epic. The triumphs and tragedy of the Egyptian queen, Cleopatra.
    3. North by Northwest [1959]

A hapless New York advertising executive is mistaken for a government agent by a group of foreign spies, and is pursued across the country while he looks for a way to survive.

4. The Kid [1921]

The Tramp cares for an abandoned child, but events put that relationship in jeopardy.

5. Once Upon a Time in America [1984]

A former Prohibition-era Jewish gangster returns to the Lower East Side of Manhattan over thirty years later, where he once again must confront the ghosts and regrets of his old life.
    6. Ordinary People [1980]

The accidental death of the older son of an affluent family deeply strains the relationships among the bitter mother, the good-natured father, and the guilt-ridden younger son.

3. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

The Empire Strikes Back
    A New Hope
    Return of the Jedi
    Revenge of the Sith
    Attack of the Clones

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

These are some of my top films, in no particular order, and subject to change from time to time.
    • A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)
    • Citizen Kane (1941)
    • To Have, and Have Not (1944)
    • Snatch (2000)
    • The Big Sleep (1946)

5. Scepticalscribe, Aug 30, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2015

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Very hard to say, although I rate your chosen five pretty highly. All are classics, but not necessarily the classics I might have chosen, although I would most certainly include one or two of them.

While there are a quite a number of movies that can be termed classics, only a few are superlative at every level - script, lighting, cast, acting, an epic tale or story, cinematography, doing something old in a new way as in breaking new ground when telling a story using the format of film.

And, personally, I like movies that do more than entertain me, or thrill me: I like movies that make me think, that try to make me see old, or familiar, things in a new way, or, at least allow that one might look differently at familiar matters, movies that leave me with questions, that offer food for thought. Entertainment alone - even the best of entertainment - will not win a place in my top five. I want to leave the cinema silent, because I have viewed a masterpiece that has compelled a re-examination in my mind, one that has given me food for thought.

Using these criteria, mine would include:

1. Citizen Kane: This is a superlative and ground breaking movie, a great epic story. It made cinematic history on so many levels, multiple narrators, stunning cinematography, incredible lighting, the 'fake' news reel, how to show rapid passage of time, superb acting and a tour de force from Orson Welles as the eponymous Charles Foster Kane.

2. The Third Man: A superb account of the morally bankrupt world and dubious dilemmas posed by life in post war Vienna; an urbane story written by a master - Graham Greene, with a first rate cast, great script, shot on location, stunning soundtrack, and the the courage to insist on the bitter sweet integrity of art, - rather than the easy popularity of schmaltz - when giving the movie a downbeat ending.

3. Au Revoir les Enfants. A brilliant, superbly realised and acted and beautifully understated - utterly gripping but haunting and nuanced - account of life in an upper-class French Catholic boarding school during World War 2. In French with sub-titles.

4. Jesus of Montreal. The best - and most thoughtfully intelligent - cinematic treatment of the life of Christ that I have seen (with one - possible - exception). A first rate and extraordinarily intelligent and compelling movie - and I write this as an avowedly secular person. An avant-garde theatre company are engaged to stage a life of Christ for the summer season in Montreal. In French, with sub-titles.

Honourable mentions include The Godfather, (parts 1 & 2), The Maltese Falcon (a true noir classic), Sunset Boulevard (a stunning examination of Hollywood).

These are all serious thought-provoking movies. For now - although my mood may have changed by tomorrow - I'll select a comedy as my fifth choice. Here, my preferences are markedly British.

In the 1940s, and 50s, Ealing Studios produced a series of superb, elegant, clever, witty comedies, such as 'The Lady Killers', 'The Lavender Hill Mob' and my personal favourite from their stable, the deliciously dark, 'Kind Hearts and Coronets'.

'Arsenic and Old Lace' is a subtle US comedy in that style, while the brilliant 'Dr Strangelove' is superb political satire, and still very, very funny today.

However, much though I like the Ealing Studio Comedies, if I must pick a movie that is classed under the label of 'comedy', that is also rich, clever, inventive with sharp observation and searing satire, I have to salute Monty Python.

'Monty Python And The Holy Grail' is first rate and highly intelligent comedy, but for sheer, comedic subversive - yet thought-provoking - brilliance, the fifth place goes to:

5. The Life of Brian. Monty Python at their brilliant, subversive, challenging and superb best.

6. filmbufs thread starter macrumors 6502

filmbufs

Nice posts so far and so many choices that I agree with. As mentioned, the criteria for picking a 'favorite' movie differs from person to person, so it is always interesting to see what is chosen. The next five movies on my list, making up a top ten, are wildly different, mainly because of the memories associated or because I have seen them three-dozen times.

You're right, @sartrekid, five movies is not enough. I once had an actor ask me for a list of movies he should see. I think he was expecting a short list. Instead I came back with 250 that easily rolled off the top of my head.

The other cool thing about these lists is the discovery of a movie you may not have heard about or seen. I'll have to find Jesus of Montreal soon, so thanks for that recommendation.

7. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Leonard Part 6, Pure Luck, Plan 9 from Outer Space
    Oh... You said best movies...

What is a great movie? I was going to say it is one that I can watch over and over again and still feel emotionally invested in. But then I got to thinking, have you ever seen a great movie that left you so uncomfortable that you never want to see it again? I couldn't think of a film to put in that category - can you?

This topic has come up a number of time on MacRumors. I answer it honestly every time and haven't listed the exact same movies twice! I agree with a lot of the previous movies, but I am trying to add something new at the same time.

Shawshank Redemption
    Moon
    12 Angry Men
    The Incredibles (Picking one Pixar movie is tough. I think Inside Out will be right up there with Pixar's best (Toy Story 3, Finding Nemo), but it's still too new. On lists like these, most people seem to overlook animation.)
    Sixth Sense - I might be heckled for this one, but I'll wait to see what you say before I give my reasons.

8. sartrekid, Aug 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2015

sartrekid macrumors 6502

I've not seen any of the other movies you listed but The Sixth Sense is a fantastic movie.

250? I think that roughly covers the movies I've seen in my entire life, and I'm neither in my teens nor in my twenties...

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Again, when discussing and defining what is a 'great' movie, or a movie deserving of a place in a top five, or top ten, is a 'great' movie one that you can watch again and again because it affords you something of the ease, security and familiarity of a comfort blanket? (And nothing wrong with a comfort blanket). Or is it one that you can watch again and again because it makes you see something new each time?

In any case, I can well see why @sartrekid has chosen 'Once Upon A Time In America' - a brilliant movie, and I also like the spectacular 'Once Upon A Time In The West'. Ennio Morricone's transcendental score lends an added dimension to each of these classics.

Another - underrated modern American movie - which is a multilayered, rich, nuanced tale of a surprisingly large number of interlocking tales (with at least four separate interracial couples depicted) is John Sayle's gripping, intelligent and thoughtful movie 'Lone Star'.

I can see why the 'Shawshank Redemption' will make such a list; the triumph of hope over despair is a very powerful message, and I certainly enjoyed - and enjoy - watching that movie.

10. sartrekid, Aug 30, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2015

sartrekid macrumors 6502

@Scepticalscribe, not sure whether you were asking me to add my reasons for choosing the movies I did...

Anyhow, I've used my own, highly subjective parameters that are all over the place, so some are in my list because I have emotional ties to them, others are cinematographically brilliant, among other things.

The Last Wave is on the list because it excels in everything. The screenplay was pretty much non-existent. Some of the actors (Aborigines) weren't even professional actors but the only "true" tribal people left in Australia. The story itself is captivating and highly engaging. The end can be interpreted in many ways and there is no definite answer. This is one of those movies that you can't watch just once and something new to ponder about pops up with every viewing. Most people would likely find it boring. I find it fascinating to no end. An overall brilliant, smart, low-key, zero(!)-budget movie with excellent actors. The cinematographic aspect doesn't fall short either. The imagery is so timeless, it could have been shot today. Or a hundred years ago. Anyone who loves to chew their nails in despair while figuring out the great questions of life - as well as the smaller ones - will find this movie a good fit. As a side note; This is probably one of Richard Chamberlain's best acting. This movie is supreme beyond words and a true labor of love by everyone involved.

Cleopatra is a two-fold thing. It's nostalgia as I watched it the first time when I was around 8. Now, a good three decades later, I still am in awe. This movie has triggered my interest in history - particularly Roman and Egyptian history - at a very young age and has formed and highly influenced many of my educational decisions later in life. It's also simply a great movie, even without a backstory. The cinematography was unbeaten and highly progressive for its time. The actors are great, the story, while not 100% accurate - as is the case with pretty much all of the more known Hollywood movies that deal with ancient (or contemporary) history - is solid, the actors are great, though I'd highlight Roddy McDowall who plays the role of Octavian (Augustus). I've not seen all of his works but he easily surpasses Richard Burton (that says something) with a tour-de-force acting performance. It's definitely left a mark.

North by Northwest is also mainly a childhood pick. That and the fact that I love almost all of the movies in which Alfred Hitchcock had a hand. Powerful scenery, wonderful soundtrack, just overall a great classic with nice twists that weren't obvious to me as a child. I've seen it a dozen times (like all of the movies in this list) and it's still a great way to waste nearly 2.5 hours.

The Kid is representative of my love for Charlie Chaplin's works. All of them. And it features the magical Jackie Coogan! I've never seen a child perform like this. It's made me shed many tears. It's a fine silent movie, nothing out of the ordinary in terms of story, but the execution and timing are perfect, as are all of Chaplin's movies and shorts.

Once Upon a Time in America is representative of my fascination with Mafia/gangster movies of that era. I like The Godfather trilogy almost as much, or Goodfellas. But I think Time in America stands out and prefer it over the rest. I don't actually know why. I just think the mixture of life/love/tragedy are best balanced in this movie. And the soundtrack kills me.

Ordinary People is another childhood mention. I was around 8, so this is another thirty-year-old memory. The story is tight and gripping, highly emotional and probably one of the first movies that highlighted the field of psycho-therapy without exaggeration or "over-the-top" nonsense. All three of the main actors, Donald Sutherland, Timothy Hutton, and Mary Tyler-Moore truly nail their roles, Moore is probably the most convincing one because you almost begin to deeply despise her while watching. The story itself is very down-to-earth and thus very easy to relate with on a personal level, at least for me.

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

No, I wasn't, and I apologise if you thought I had implied or suggested that you do so, merely because I did. That wasn't my intention at all (and the thread was started by @filmbufs, not by me, so I've no 'ownership' of it, or right to steer it).

Nonetheless, @sartrekid, I'm delighted to read your reasons for selecting these movies; the movies people respond to have as much to do with setting, age, context, and so on.

I remember seeing the brilliant Lindsay Anderson's movie 'If' (about student rebellion at a public school), starring Malcolm McDowell and featuring a spell binding soundtrack (including repeatedly playing the 'Missa Luba' from the African Sanctus); as a student, this blew my mind. I wanted to be Mick Travis, so I understand the continuing emotional psychological and narrative power of movies that transfixed you as a youngster.

12. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

North by Northwest - I loved the mistake in the restaurant scene where the little kid plugs his ears before the gun is actually fired.

Red River - John Wayne's best acting job.

Casablanca - A true gem.

The African Queen - Two of the best paired up.

The Third Man - A Graham Greene special.

13. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

14. sartrekid macrumors 6502

15. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Tom Courtenay, Rod Steiger and Alec Guinness are also excellent as was Geraldine Chaplin. Great soundtrack, stunning cinematography, and fascinating story.

I read the book as an undergrad, but my Mother had adored the film in the 1960s when it was first released.

16. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

S, most interestingly - rare case - I liked the movie of David Lean much better than Pasternak's book. Maybe it is just me.

17. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

No, it is not just you.

Actually, strange to relate, - because usually, I much prefer the book that has given rise to the movie - and have often been appalled at movie adaptations of books I have loved - I agree with you on the matter of Dr Zhivago.

In fact, I suspect that the reverence given the book (which is very good, but not spell binding, like the film/movie) - owed much to the appalling treatment meted out to Boris Pasternak by the Soviet Government.

18. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

You maybe right. There are so many interesting phenomena around this masterpiece, i.e. the declined Nobel Prize which was later accepted by his descendants, the movie shot mainly in Spain etc. Oh, well, I liked it.

19. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, he was leaned on to decline the Nobel Prize; he had originally planned to accept it, and then was more or less compelled to define it. Nikita Khrushchev's thaw had limits.

Actually, there is a very interesting account of those events (along with some fascinating photographs) in an autobiography by Galina Vishnevskaya (an exceptionally accomplished lead soprano with the Bolshoi who was married to Mstislav Rostropovich); this was a couple who counted Sergei Prokofiev, Dmitri Shostokovich, Alexander Solzhenitsyn, and Boris Pasternak (some of whom hated and despised one another and many of who were persecuted by the regime - Vishnevskaya and Rostropovich offering some of them temporary refuge in their home for months on end) among many others - as their friends.

20. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

Geez, this is so hard. The top 3 of them have been in constant viewing since I first saw them: the pinnacle of their genres for me. The final two are more recent excursions into foreign genre territory and I love these for their stories, characters, cinematography and OTT violence.

Raiders of the Lost Ark
    High Plains Drifter
    Star Wars
    Vengeance!
    Tenebre

21. Savor Suspended

Savor

#1. The Shawshank Redemption (1994) - 9.5/10

I saw this in the theater when I was 14 back in January 1995 at Mann Theaters in Glendale, CA with my Mom, aunt, and my baby brother's elderly babysitter. I remember thinking this movie was going to be boring. I recall a college couple in line saying they were going to watch Pulp Fiction and I got a little envious. And here I was going to watch a movie I couldn't pronounce correctly yet and looked like a boring prison movie. Boy, was I so WRONG! I left the theater thinking I just saw the greatest movie of my lifetime. I thought about this movie for days. Everything from the characters, screenplay, music, and choreography is just perfect. It is like The Godfather Part I & II, nearly flawless in all areas.

Nobody really saw it in the theater. So when movie rental stores like Blockbuster video were peaking in the 1990's, more and more people started to love it which is why it ranks #1 in IMDb right now. It basically is like Papillon or even The Count of Monte Cristo which they referenced but the emphasis is life in prison and human interactions. The "Brooks was here scene" and ending always gets me misty-eyed.

"I doubt they would toss a couple roadblocks. Not for an old crook like me."

"Get busy living or get busy dying. That's god damn right!"

Andy, Red, Warden, Hadley, Tommy, Hayworth, Boggs, scary laugh of Elmo Blatch, and Brooks. Fantastic cast. Eerie mood with the perfect score. Fantastic replay value for a drama. Good balance of humor. I read the Stephen King short story of it where Red really is Irish and the rapes are more descriptive. I feel Frank Darabont (who I love for The Green Mile, The Walking Dead, The Mist) surpassed it with his version.

Hadley is my favorite. He has the funniest lines to me -

"You speak English, butt steak?"

"I'm not gonna count to three. I'm not even gonna count to one. You either shut the f*** up or I'll sing you a lullaby!"

"Bunch of ballwashing bastards!"

"Oh, you're real funny. You're gonna look funnier sucking my **** with no teeth!"

A great film to me is when I can equally enjoy both good and bad guys. It is why I love Back To The Future trilogy so much. Biff Tannen would be like Lt. Hadley had he become a prison guard. "Hello? Hello? Think, McFly! Think."

#2. Casino (1995) - 9/10

I had a tough time picking between Goodfellas vs Casino. I watched Casino first on video. I originally did see Goodfellas first but all I did was hang around in the lobby area of Grauman's Chinese since my aunt worked there as a teenager when it called Mann's Chinese. Twice that happened while I let my relatives watch it. I was only 9 and didn't understand it yet. I think I like Casino just a tad more because I liked the ending more and the better production value and camera shots. Bigger budget, more in-depth with the characters. We didn't really know Jimmy Conway and Tommy DeVito in Goodfellas all that much, did we?

Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci gave better performances here while they both had supporting roles in Goodfellas. Goodfellas is a Henry Hill story starring Ray Liotta & Lorraine Bracco. De Niro should've never got first billing. I prefer Karen Hill's character over Ginger, but Sharon Stone gave the best performance of her career. I also adore James Woods, Don Rickles, and John Bloom (aka Joe Bob Briggs). Ending credits music is downright epic. I hated it for Goodfellas. Music were about equal even using the same tracks. I showed this movie to college buddy and my current gf and they love it while my ex-gf prefers Goodfellas more.

#3. Goodfellas (1990) - 9/10

While I may love Casino a tad more, Goodfellas does better in a few areas. Being a shorter movie, it has better pacing and arguably funnier while Casino is a tad better with the story, characters, and drama. Casino kinda drags a bit after that first hour which generally acts like a brilliant documentary those first 45 minutes. The female lead in Goodfellas isn't as annoying as Ginger. And Goodfellas has more memorable scenes and quotes. The Copacabana, Funny Guy, Spider, and Billy Batts (Now go home and your get your f*****g shinebox) scenes can marinate in on our memories forever. Even the entire day scene when the Narcs catch Henry is memorable.

I just didn't like how abruptly it ended. But I also read Wiseguys and seen Henry Hill documentaries and interviews, so I understand the last five minutes of it has to end that way. Rat on your friends at court. Live like a schmuck like us. The End. Still, I prefer how dramatic Casino ended. New York is my fav city in the U.S. but I am a West Coast guy who visited Las Vegas 40x compared to 4x with NYC. I'm fascinated by the rich, Vegas gangsters over the blue-collar NY guys. Casino still looks amazing with superior ambiance while Goodfellas aged a little worse being a half-decade older and grainier looking. Goodfellas should've won Best Picture for 1990 though. Not that borefest called Dances With Wolves.

"Hey, you wanna laugh? This pr|ck last week asked me to Christian his kid. Yeah, for seven thousand I'll charge ya."

"You really are a funny guy."

I used to say to my ex-gf, "Stop busting my balls!" I laugh everytime I think of Maury losing his toupee.

Such a quotable movie.

#4. Pulp Fiction (1994)

First time I saw it, I liked it but didn't love it. Then I buy the DVD in 2002 and watched it like 10x that week. I studied it and saw the fun facts for it. Like The Big Lebowski, it gets better and better with each viewing. I would recite their Ezekiel 25:17 verbatim to my friends and the Tony Rocky Horror. Like Goodfellas and The Big Lebowski, an absolute quotable movie when the real hero is the gherri-curled Jules Winnfield who walks away CLEAN at the end while Vincent Vega dies for being too loyal.

What I don't like is The Gold Watch segment can be boring at times for me. And I just don't like Bruce Willis (a real life jerk). And I still prefer Scorsese over Tarantino and De Niro/Pesci over Travolta/Jackson. Also while the movie is on a bigger budget, it isn't quite beautiful to look at like Casino. The dialogue which moves the non-linear story and can set up the next scene is brilliant. Right after you see a male raping in The Gold Watch, I love the intro lines to The Bonnie Situation. "But Marselles Wallace don't like to be a ****ed by anybody except Mrs. Wallace."

Some of my favorite quotes -

The entire Ezekiel 25:17 line

"Pride only hurts. It never helps."

"Is there a sign outside my house that says dead n***** storage?"

"Let's not start sucking each other's ***** just yet, gentlemen."

"You remember Antwon Rockamura, half-black half-Samoan. Used to call Tony Rocky Horror? Yeah fat, right? I wouldn't go far to call him fat. I mean he got a weight problem, what's the n**** gonna do? He's Samoan."

^^ I used to recite that to my buddies and they would burst out laughing.

"I used the same ****ing soap you did and when I was through with it, my towel didn't look like some god damn maxi-pad!

Some people might prefer Reservoir Dogs, Jackie Brown, Inglourious Basterds, and Django Unchained. I don't think Tarantino has topped Pulp Fiction since. I also like how the story came from him and Roger Avary. Scorsese helped write the screenplay which is hilarious but the story was adapted from a book. I like how original Tarantino's film can be except for Jackie Brown.

My Top 4 hasn't changed since 2002. It may stay that way for the rest of my life.

But my #5 has become a little trickier. Once occupied by Forrest Gump, I think it moves down and has The Forbidden Kingdom or Braveheart replacing it. For a review of those latter two movies, it can be found in the what movie are you watching thread.

Forrest Gump (1994) - 8.5/10

It really is a Disneyfied version of the mid 1950's - early 1980's. Vietnam scenes doesn't look like Vietnam at all. Nothing tropical or jungle about it. The scenes with Forrest next to John Lennon and the U.S. Presidents look hokey now with terrible voice syncing. Majority of the characters aren't likeable.. I still love the movie for Tom Hanks, the pacing, and soundtrack. Still a Top 10-er for me. But it has major flaws and a terrible message that if you act human like Jenny, you suffer. If you are an innocent dimwit like Forrest, you get rewarded in life.

I don't like some things with Pulp Fiction either like The Gold Watch segment which slows down the movie and I can't stand Bruce Willis at times. But that can be a minor annoyance in what really is a redemption movie and how loyalty from Vincent Vega can get you killed. Jules with the gerrycurl was right all along.But Jenny in Forrest Gump is a MAJOR annoyance, both young and adult. Run Forrest, run! *cringe* Only Lt. Dan was interesting but he wasn't all that likeable either.

It can better after more viewings like Zemeckis' BTTF series because it is like an Indiana Jones for lucky Southern dimwits and Baby Boomers. Pacing is quick. But unlike BTTF which never took itself so seriously and has likeable characters and no forced upon sentimentality, Gump can also get worse after awhile once you see its major flaws. This was my #5 since 2002, but I am having second thoughts with it after reading so many anti-Forrest Gump sites. And I haven't bothered to rewatch it like before like I can still do with my Top 4.

The Godfather Trilogy (1972-1990) - 9/10

Part I - 9/10
    Part II - 9.5/10
    Part III - 8/10

I still love this trilogy. I love Part 1 & 2 and rank them as the two greatest films in history. But as of late, I've been cooling off on it among favs. I guess because it can be too serious with very little humor and action in-between that replay value goes down. I have seen them 20x and even studied the timeline and family tree. I prefer Part II slightly more over 1 because of Hymen Roth schooling Michael Corleone about killing Moe Green. Part III was good but not great. Alot of the best characters were dead by that point. The color brown and beige throughout also turns me off from it. But the first two are technically near perfect films which excels in all areas and no glaring weaknesses. The Godfather I/II rank up there with the best of them. I just think Goodfellas/Casino speaks to MY generation better and with better pacing and humor. The narration helps too.

22. filmbufs thread starter macrumors 6502

filmbufs

That's a pretty cool top 5, @Savor . It makes me smile, for personal reasons, that you enjoyed The Shawshank Redemption and Casino so much.

23. twietee, Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2015

twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Ahh, the impossible "Top5 ..." - intriguing!

Star Wars and Indy Jones would easily take some spots because of nostalgia alone (and because they're awesome), so I'm not going to include them. Makes sense, no? Also agreed on the brilliant Third Man (which I respectively won't include as well)!

Blade Runner - genuine depiction of a futuristic megacity
    Apocalypse Now Redux - Coppola perfectly filming my favorite piece by one of my favorite writers featuring a bunch of my favorite actors.
    Blow Up - Antonioni filming London featuring David Hemmings? Very hard to top.
    Don't Look Now - for the chills and perfect venetian atmosphere.

Too bad the list couldn't include Doc Strangelove, The Life Aquatic and every single movie featuring Monica Vitti! :D

24. Savor Suspended

Savor

Action/adventure or crime with enough humor tend to be my favorites or where I gravitate towards most to. Scorsese-Tarantino-Guy Ritchie style humor.

Since my TOP 5 doesn't consist of movies within a series, I decided to separate my favorite movies from my favorite franchises.

Top 5 Favorite Franchises
    1. Back To The Future
    2. Indiana Jones
    3. Star Wars
    4. The Godfather
    5. Marvel Cinematic Universe

Franchises/Series (minimum of three films)

Back To The Future - 8/10
    Fav - Back To The Future Part II (1989)

Indiana Jones - 8/10
    Fav - The Last Crusade (1989)

Star Wars - 8/10
    Fav - Revenge of the Sith (2005)

The Godfather - 9/10
    Fav - The Godfather Part II (1974)

Marvel Cinematic Universe - 8.5/10
    Fav - Captain America: Winter Soldier (2014)

Batman - 8/10
    Fav - The Dark Knight (2008)

The Lord of the Rings - 9/10
    Fav - The Return of the King (2003)

X-Men - 7.5/10
    Fav - Days of Future Past (2014)

Spider-Man - 7.5/10
    Fav - The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)

Jurassic Park - 7.5/10
    Fav - Jurassic Park (1993), JW #2

Naked Gun - 7/10
    Fav - Naked Gun (1988)

Austin Powers - 7/10
    Fav - The Spy Who Shagged Me (1999)

Men In Black - 7/10
    Fav - Men In Black 3 (2012), formerly MiB 1

Pirates of the Carribean - 7/10
    Fav - The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)

The Matrix - 7/10
    Fav - The Matrix (1999)

Terminator - 7/10
    Fav - Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)

The Transformers - 7/10
    Fav - The Transformers (2007)

James Bond - 7/10
    Fav - Shockingly... Licence To Kill (1989)

Rocky - 7/10
    Fav - Rocky V (1990)

The Expendables - 6.5
    Fav - The Expendables 3 (2014)

The Hangover - 6.5/10
    Fav - The Hangover (2009)

The Fast And The Furious - 6.5/10
    Fav - Fast Five (2011), followed by 7...

Rush Hour - 6.5/10
    Fav - Rush Hour 2 (2001)

American Pie - 6.5/10
    Fav - American Pie (1999)

King Kong - 6.5/10
    Fav - King Kong (1976), '05 was too long

Godzilla - 6/10
    Fav - Godzilla (2014) <- most realistic

Among two-film series, my favs are -

1-1-1-1-2-2-1-1

300 (2007)
    Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (1989)
    Dumb & Dumber (1994)
    Hot Tub Time Machine (2010)
    Kick-Ass 2 (2013)
    Kill Bill Vol. 2 (2004)
    Sin City (2005)
    Ted (2012)

The sequels to Dumb & Dumber, Hot Tub Time Machine, and Ted aren't that bad.

Dumb & Dumber To only made me laugh about thrice when I saw it in the theater. But after more viewings, it has some hilarious lines like - "Maybe I couldn't afford to send her to the best public schools.."So Harry is my biographical father?"..It will be one of those sequels that will get more appreciated once it is on cable and near equal with hilarious quotes as the first one.

Hot Tub Time Machine 2 is probably the worst sequel of the trio and my LEAST favorite because Cusack isn't it in except that brief cameo at the end. But still some cool scenes like Craig Robinson ripping off other music artists, and some cool gadgetry in the future. I enjoy the series because it is like Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure and Back To The Future Part II of the 21st century but on drugs and alcohol. Totally absurd scenarios. It complements other movies like the Harold & Kumar trilogy and Ted movies well too with the vulgarity.

And Ted 2 is like an episode of Family Guy lacking the some heart that the og had. Losing Mila Kunis is no biggie to me. Amanda Seyfried is hotter to me with a less annoying voice. But they all have their moments. I generally like the cast in all of them.

Don't care to ever watch Harry Potter or Twilight. And way too many horror flicks to even pick a favorite when those movies are 5/10 as a series at best.

25. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Ah, well, on a thread with a title such as this, I think film/movie choices under the heading of 'best five or 'personal favourites' 's may be both "an age thing", or possibly a geographical thing...

However, I have long been struck by the fact that people who like the old classics tend, firstly, to be somewhat older, and a number of them seem to hail from Europe and elsewhere, or have a sensibility that includes a nod to the Old World and its cultural and creative preferences.

Young Americans, on the other hand, tend to choose (or maybe are only aware of) recently made movies, many of them carved from the mould of block-buster movie making.

Some great movies, in this list, and wouldn't quarrel with any of these on a list of great American classics.
    Excellent selection, and again, all are rightly regarded as classics.