Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
That’s an interesting point. Did posts overall go up or down during Covid lockdown? That would make for an interesting graph @chown33

For me, down.

When my own (posting) totals were sort of stratospheric, my social life was zero. But, Mother was still with us.

Mind you, nowadays, with Covid, it - a social life - is still zero.......but MR is not the only place where I pass the time, nor is posting here the only activity that occupies my days.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
For me, down.

When my own (posting) totals were sort of stratospheric, my social life was zero. But, Mother was still with us.

Mind you, nowadays, with Covid, it - a social life - is still zero.......but MR is not the only place where I pass the time, nor is posting here the only activity that occupies my days.
I meant generally. If more people increased their posting whilst other things weren’t an option for them.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

chown33

Original poster
Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
That’s an interesting point. Did posts overall go up or down during Covid lockdown? That would make for an interesting graph @chown33
There wasn't any single trend overall. Some went up, some went down, some were about the same, and some did more than one thing.

In the "up" category, @Apple_Robert is the leading example. See the Fun With Graphs tri-weekly graph for the date when his rate increased. It varied some (i.e. the line wiggles a bit), but there's a notable change in slope in early 2020. You can look in Table 1 of past "Extrapolated" threads (always the 1st post) and see the actual numbers of who's up or down in the Delta Rate for that 6-month period. The links to prior threads are at the bottom of the 1st post here (and in each earlier 1st post).

In the "same" category, you're a good example. If you look at the same tri-weekly graph above, your line is pretty steady, even though Table 1 says your Delta Rate dropped by about a fifth. The tri-weekly graph covers about a year and a half, and I don't see a huge change in its slope from the latest 6-months vs. the prior 6-months. There's a slight knee roughly at the gap in late Dec 2020, but nothing like the knee of Apple_Robert in early 2020.

In the "down" category, or really the "up then down" category, @C DM is interesting. They had a pretty low rate in the 1st half of 2020, then a jump in the 2nd half, then back to a low rate in the 1st half of 2021. The 1st graph of post #5 shows this, or take a look at the Delta Rate drop in Table 1. The Table 1 numbers show a jump to over 15 posts/day in the 2nd half of 2020, to under 1 post/day in the 1st half of 2021.

In general, you can scroll through each period's Table 1 and look at the Delta Rate numbers. A positive number is an increase in post rate, negative is decrease. The magnitude is important, relative to the basic rate, because one person's 5 posts/day could be 500%, while another's could be 15%.

Also recall that some people posted mostly in uncounted forums (list in post #1 above), so they could have hundreds of posts on the site, but those posts don't count in their post totals.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
There wasn't any single trend overall. Some went up, some went down, some were about the same, and some did more than one thing.

In the "up" category, @Apple_Robert is the leading example. See the Fun With Graphs tri-weekly graph for the date when his rate increased. It varied some (i.e. the line wiggles a bit), but there's a notable change in slope in early 2020. You can look in Table 1 of past "Extrapolated" threads (always the 1st post) and see the actual numbers of who's up or down in the Delta Rate for that 6-month period. The links to prior threads are at the bottom of the 1st post here (and in each earlier 1st post).

In the "same" category, you're a good example. If you look at the same tri-weekly graph above, your line is pretty steady, even though Table 1 says your Delta Rate dropped by about a fifth. The tri-weekly graph covers about a year and a half, and I don't see a huge change in its slope from the latest 6-months vs. the prior 6-months. There's a slight knee roughly at the gap in late Dec 2020, but nothing like the knee of Apple_Robert in early 2020.

In the "down" category, or really the "up then down" category, @C DM is interesting. They had a pretty low rate in the 1st half of 2020, then a jump in the 2nd half, then back to a low rate in the 1st half of 2021. The 1st graph of post #5 shows this, or take a look at the Delta Rate drop in Table 1. The Table 1 numbers show a jump to over 15 posts/day in the 2nd half of 2020, to under 1 post/day in the 1st half of 2021.

In general, you can scroll through each period's Table 1 and look at the Delta Rate numbers. A positive number is an increase in post rate, negative is decrease. The magnitude is important, relative to the basic rate, because one person's 5 posts/day could be 500%, while another's could be 15%.

Also recall that some people posted mostly in uncounted forums (list in post #1 above), so they could have hundreds of posts on the site, but those posts don't count in their post totals.
Thank you. Of course now one of the most prolific areas of the site PRSI is closed, that will also have an influence. Maybe my top 5 spot will be in jeopardy!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thank you. Of course now one of the most prolific areas of the site PRSI is closed, that will also have an influence. Maybe my top 5 spot will be in jeopardy!
As far as I know, PRSI posts (and posts from one or two other areas of the site) were never counted among the total number of posts of any individual poster, (although, oddly, "likes" awarded in PRSI did seem to count towards one's "likes" total).

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
As far as I know, PRSI posts (and posts from one or two other areas of the site) were never counted among the total number of posts of any individual poster, (although, oddly, "likes" awarded in PRSI did seem to count towards one's "likes" total).
That is exactly my point. Someone who posts 50 times a week in PRSI suddenly posts 50 times a week elsewhere on MR, their count will change significantly.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Yes, I believe that it has.

Take a look at the announcement in SFF (from last Sunday), where its death, demise, or, the fact that it is now deemed to be deceased was announced.
I am looking at the thread now. I will write my comment tomorrow. Just know that it was a true pleasure and an honor to discuss with you on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.