Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2017
Whenever I'd use Mac OS X, I'd always do everything, except gaming. For no particular reason. But I decided to change that.

So I was wondering if anyone here got their favorites they wish to talk about. It can be anything, from a generic chess game to RPGs, racing, FPS, platformers and even japanese dating sims. Anything at all that can be considered a game.

"Top 7" is just a suggestion: feel free to list however many games you want.

If possible, though, I'd like for it to be Mac OS X games that aren't playable in Mac OS 9 and earlier: I'm already very familiar with those. In other words, non-Classic Mac OS X games only, if possible.

One game I know of for OS X PPC is the famous World of Warcraft, although PPC got restricted to private servers since some years back. There's also Quake 4 and Doom 3, but I haven't enjoyed those at all, from what I have tried. I'm looking at Fable with curiosity, though, so that is one game I'll be trying.

Fami7455

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2019
The computer (The network)
My pick is World Of Goo.

It may look like a simple puzzle game, but it gets more and more involved as you advance through the levels. It has a really strange sense of humor which not many people can get into, but the gameplay is top notch. The visuals and the soundtrack are absolutely brilliant.
It's considered by many to be the spark that ignited the indie videogame craze of the late 2000s and early 2010s.

Plus it runs on anything with a G4 and a Core Image-capable GPU. I've run it on a 400MHz Sawtooth with an FX5200 with no issues whatsoever, apart from some frame dips while displaying extremely complex scenes.
It's also one of the last games released for PowerPC OS X (November 2, 2008).

Reactions: Jubadub

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2017
Sounds like a nice one! I'll give it a spin.

And I just remembered one special title myself: Cave Story (Doukutsu Monogatari). I think it's some exploration platformer (metroidvania?) with RPG elements. It was very famous during its time of release.

Reactions: Fami7455

Fami7455

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2019
The computer (The network)
And I just remembered one special title myself: Cave Story (Doukutsu Monogatari). I think it's some exploration platformer (metroidvania?) with RPG elements. It was very famous during its time of release.
Cave Story is definitely a must play. I'm on my third playthrough, this time on the Nintendo Wii (Which runs on what's basically a G3 CPU).

I vaguely remember having some trouble with sound on the last mac ppc build that was available a couple of years ago. I was able to fix it by swapping some files around with the Intel version, but I can't remember the details. Maybe that's gotten fixed at some point.

Another title which should run under PPC OS X is Machinarium. Though it seems to be a very demanding Flash-based game, requiring at least a 1.6GHz G4 to run smoothly (or so I've heard).

Reactions: AphoticD

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Civilization III

Those are two I play a fair bit of that are fun but also let you flex your CPU/GPU muscles a bit. They are carbon apps, meaning that they run in both OS 9 and OS X. I actually don't like Civ III as much as Civ II, but Civ II is OS 9 only(or Classic).

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Up until my son was born in 2003 I could afford to be hours at the computer playing a game. Unfortunately, I didn't seriously start using PowerPC for personal use until around late 2009. By that time, sitting at the computer for hours on end with a game wasn't happening.

Consequently, all my gaming experience is PC-related and pre-2003.

That said, there are a few games that got through. I was heavily into Diabolo in the late 90s and early 00s (just the game itself, not any networking). On the Mac side that started out as OS9, but there is a update that makes it run on OS X.

There were a few games of the Myst series that run on OS X. Also, there are ports out there of Doom and a particular favorite StarControl 2. They just aren't named as such.

I've fooled around with HALO as well and I know some of the Microsoft Simulators work on OS X.

I've just never sat for more than a hour with a game since 2003.

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
Up until my son was born in 2003 I could afford to be hours at the computer playing a game. Unfortunately, I didn't seriously start using PowerPC for personal use until around late 2009. By that time, sitting at the computer for hours on end with a game wasn't happening.

Consequently, all my gaming experience is PC-related and pre-2003.

That said, there are a few games that got through. I was heavily into Diabolo in the late 90s and early 00s (just the game itself, not any networking). On the Mac side that started out as OS9, but there is a update that makes it run on OS X.

There were a few games of the Myst series that run on OS X. Also, there are ports out there of Doom and a particular favorite StarControl 2. They just aren't named as such.

I've fooled around with HALO as well and I know some of the Microsoft Simulators work on OS X.

Oh boy how I miss those days :D

Reactions: eyoungren

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Here are some of my 8 absolute favorites, briefly summarized.

Neon Tango is an indie Asteroids clone with kickass visuals, and kickass music from the late 2000's. Very arcade-like.

TRON 2.0 is a first-person sequel to the original 1982 TRON, where you are set as a guy trapped in the digital world. You get to hurl Identity Discs back and forth. It's awesome.

Black Shades is another low-key indie where you are a psychic security guard that has to protect a VIP from assassins. Very light on resources.

Total Immersion Racing is IMO by far the best racer on the PPC Mac. Great music, great graphics, and great, easy to control fun.

Myst IV: Revelation is a breathtakingly atmospheric point and click puzzle / adventure with a gorgeous soundtrack. Mostly prerendered.

Similarly, Myst V: End of Ages is a masterful experience with loads of atmosphere and an also excellent soundtrack. Replaced the traditional prerendered exploration with real time movement and control. Both games are very memorable experiences.

Halo requires no introduction. It is simply the best FPS available for PowerPC, and perhaps all other machines of the era.

And of course, who can forget the classic Big Bang Board Games...

Up until my son was born in 2003 I could afford to be hours at the computer playing a game.

You're doing good work. :)

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
When I do get a few minutes to game in between books, blocks & playdough with my son, Stella 3.9.2 universal binary is my favorite Atari 2600 emulator for PPC.

Nestopia v141 is my fav NES emulator for PPC. I have multiple versions of the original consoles but when you’re not in the mood for the quirkiness of retro consoles (lines, flashing screens etc.) or just plain dont have the time, it is a lot of fun to play these on a Mac :) as they “just” work everytime.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raging Dufus

DouglasCarroll

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2016
When I do get a few minutes to game in between books, blocks & playdough with my son, Stella 3.9.2 universal binary is my favorite Atari 2600 emulator for PPC.

Nestopia v141 is my fav NES emulator for PPC. I have multiple versions of the original consoles but when you’re not in the mood for the quirkiness of retro consoles (lines, flashing screens etc.) or just plain dont have the time, it is a lot of fun to play these on a Mac :) as they “just” work everytime.

Good call, I love emulators on PPC Macs. One of my favorites is an Amiga emulator that runs great, supports full screen and joysticks!! GODS or Chaos Engine anyone?

:)

Reactions: 1042686

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Here are all my personal favorites:
Star Wars Knights of the old republic
Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi outcast and it’s sequel Jedi Academy
Age of Empires 2 and 3
Star Wars galactic battle grounds (basically AOE 2 Star Wars skin)
Star Trek elite force series
Star Craft

Reactions: MrPilot

DouglasCarroll

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2016
I usually use a variety of different bluetooth joy pads...

https://www.8bitdo.com/

or I plug in an old atari style joystick with a usb adaptor...

http://www.grandideastudio.com/stelladaptor-2600/

Either work just great! I especially love playing twin stick shooters, i.e., Robotron or Cloak & Dagger, with the 8bitdo controllers!!!
[doublepost=1565998688][/doublepost]Incidentally, I haven’t taken the time to set this up yet on my Powerbook G4....

https://www.retroarch.com/

...but it does look pretty sweet from the description. Almost seems like a PPC version of “Open EMU”!!

Anyone here used retroarch and have any feedback?

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016

Either work just great! I especially love playing twin stick shooters, i.e., Robotron or Cloak & Dagger, with the 8bitdo controllers!!!
[doublepost=1565998688][/doublepost]Incidentally, I haven’t taken the time to set this up yet on my Powerbook G4....

...but it does look pretty sweet from the description. Almost seems like a PPC version of “Open EMU”!!

Retroarch is awesome. The GUI is super smooth and the system/cart catalog is humongous. I had it loaded on a wimpy spec’d w10 dumpster find compaq AMD box connected to my TV via hdmi for a long while & it ran like a champ especially retro emulation.

That being said I haven’t tried it on a ppc Osx box yet but I imagine it would run well on solid spec’d G4 or G5.

As far as joysticks, I use a clone rectangular NES usb controller. Iirc it was like $5 shipped on eBay. In hindsight, I’d invest in a couple BT controllers if I still had that setup. As it stands I’m playing at a computer desk, so no need for wireless connectivity.

Last edited:

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
I've got a very old PSX -> USB adapter for the Mac and PC, called the Super Dual Box Pro, that I use for games and emulators. It supports two controllers and is plug and play on the Mac. I think I paid $5 for it on the 'bay.

tigerintank

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013

Retroarch is awesome. The GUI is super smooth and the system/cart catalog is humongous. I had it loaded on a wimpy spec’d w10 dumpster find compaq AMD box connected to my TV via hdmi for a long while & it ran like a champ especially retro emulation.

That being said I haven’t tried it on a ppc Osx box yet but I imagine it would run well on solid spec’d G4 or G5.

As far as joysticks, I use a clone rectangular NES usb controller. Iirc it was like $5 shipped on eBay. In hindsight, I’d invest in a couple BT controllers if I still had that setup. As it stands I’m playing at a computer desk, so no need for wireless connectivity.

I've got a very old PSX -> USB adapter for the Mac and PC, called the Super Dual Box Pro, that I use for games and emulators. It supports two controllers and is plug and play on the Mac. I think I paid $5 for it on the 'bay.

Thank you guys

Reactions: Jubadub

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2017
Holy cr--smokes, I had no idea RetroArch was available for PPC! Let alone OS X PPC. I have to set that up sometime.

There's also a USB SNES controller adapter I use just like the PS1 one, with two connectors and all. Pretty cool.

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Oh boy how I miss those days :D

My eldest son is now 7 and I regularly share the video game fun with him, revisiting many a blast from the past :)

We’ve been stepping through my old Steam library, which mostly consists of games from before I had kids and the occasional “one day when I have time” game which had gone on sale for $5 or so.

Recently he has been interested in the Halo games, so I pulled out the Mac mini G4 and set it up to play the original Halo on the TV, but for some reason the display gets cut in half on the big screen over DVI->HDMI. So instead I setup an early ‘09 Mac mini C2D and installed Snow Leopard to get the best performance out of the UB games and also for the sake of Rosetta for PowerPC games.

Machinarium, Samorost 1, 2 and 3 and Botanicula from Amanita Design are great games.

Another vote for World of Goo from me and also the Ambrosia games like Apeiron, Maelstrom, Escape Velocity, etc

I also bought a cheap USB adapter on eBay to use the PSX controllers on the Mac/PC and a Pi3 which runs RetroPi / emulationstation for all the old Sega and Nintendo games :cool:

Reactions: Raging Dufus

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
My eldest son is now 7 and I regularly share the video game fun with him, revisiting many a blast from the past :)

We’ve been stepping through my old Steam library, which mostly consists of games from before I had kids and the occasional “one day when I have time” game which had gone on sale for $5 or so.

Recently he has been interested in the Halo games, so I pulled out the Mac mini G4 and set it up to play the original Halo on the TV, but for some reason the display gets cut in half on the big screen over DVI->HDMI. So instead I setup an early ‘09 Mac mini C2D and installed Snow Leopard to get the best performance out of the UB games and also for the sake of Rosetta for PowerPC games.

Machinarium, Samorost 1, 2 and 3 and Botanicula from Amanita Design are great games.

Another vote for World of Goo from me and also the Ambrosia games like Apeiron, Maelstrom, Escape Velocity, etc

I also bought a cheap USB adapter on eBay to use the PSX controllers on the Mac/PC and a Pi3 which runs RetroPi / emulationstation for all the old Sega and Nintendo games :cool:

Can’t wait for him to get interested in games, alas he turned two in July so not quite there yet.

ATM I’m tuning up my imacg3 (cleaned out, new hdd, cpu repaste, fresh OS) for him to bang on. He’s discovered our laptops & is all about my Mac/game stuff so I’ll let him have at my bondi - leave it set up on the floor in his room. Hilarious comedy of errors so far getting this thing cleaned up. Panther stuck at 8gb destination size error but my partition was 8gb - then realized the magic number was 6. Went to install 9.2 & the iMac threw disc read errors, so moved to an external dvd cdrom+os9lives while booting off the 9.2 installer disc. Aside from the crawling usb1 speeds, it installed, slowly. What a minefield this lil bondi was lol. Anyhow it’s done.

Anyone know of a good source of kiddo edutainment games?

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
There's a reason Halo is rated M...

Speaking of games that should’ve been rated M, do you guys remember NARC for the NES? Holy cow you run around with a grenade launcher blowing baddies up. Thing is it shows the guts n gibs n 8bit blood. It’s a 1988 release iirc. Before the time of video game ratings n such. I never owned it as a kid, but picked up the cart as part of a retro gaming trade. Played it a few days ago & was surprised by the gore factor considering the family oriented console. Anyhoo, kinda off topic but it is a title that can be played via emulation on ppc if you’re curious.

Last edited:

MrPilot

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2013
My PPC list

EVO 2 4x4 - A fun offroad racing game
hqdefault.jpg

The Summoner - Adventure RPG with huge world and storyline, inventory, cities, woods, villages, magic etc. Play in Tiger in classic mode (not hack and slash!)
summoner-38823.jpg

Age of Empires 3/2 - Yeah, no introduction needed
maxresdefault.jpg

Warcraft 3 - Great strategy game
Warcraft-3-Reign-of-Chaos-Download-Free-Full-Version-PC-Crack-10.jpg

Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 - It's cute, nice graphics and a lot of fun! Manage park, hire staff, perform maintenance, design and add rides into park, even ride them :)

economic-simulator3.jpg

Various emulators, for sega, nintendo, DOS, amiga/atari.

I have many more games for the PPC, (like starwars games, simulators, like x-plane or fly!, but this is the bulk of what I might play from time to time)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.