Top app list...how is it calculated?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by jsnuff1, Aug 13, 2008.

1. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

I thought that the top app list was simply the apps that have the most downloads, but now with two apps that have been on the top 100 list I know that is not the case.

My first app was in the 80's after a week. When my second app came out it hit the top 100 and past my first app on the second day, so I got all excited and thought it must have past the download count of my first app to beat it. Unfortunately that was not the case. All I know is that the second app has about twice as many downloads per day than the first app...so I guess they just rank them by downloads/day?

2. admanimal macrumors 68040

Right, it's just downloads per day or something like that. They can't do all-time downloads or new apps would have no chance against older ones.

3. DipDog3 macrumors 65816

DipDog3

What was the downloads per day for each of them?

4. SwampThingTom macrumors member

Apple doesn't make that public so unless the developer releases it, there's no way to know.

Tom

5. johnnybluejeans macrumors 6502

I have been wondering this myself. It is certainly not a matter of total downloads, but a matter of downloads per some amount of time. Not sure what that time is though.. I'm assuming some sort of running average of downloads per x number of hours.