Top/Bottom Bezel of the iPad Pro 9.7"

Discussion in 'iPad' started by augustya, Aug 4, 2016.

1. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Do you guys see this top and bottom bezel of the iPad getting shrinked in the next upcoming model ? Please see the attached picture.

Attached Files:

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I wouldn't mind a redesign, but I do like being able to grip my iPad without my thumbs blocking part of the screen. That doesn't seem possible with a thin bezel.

3. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Not sure. Holding by the thinner bezel in portrait mode is comfortable because the weight of the ipad is distributed above and below your hand. Holding a thinner bezel in landscape might now be as comfortable, as all the wight is towards the opposite side of your hand.

I think it would look better thinner tho.

4. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

The point that I am trying to ask is are we looking at a Thinner Bezel in the very near future ? I know it will happen someday but is it gonna happen in the next iteration ? How much scope is still there in making the current iPad Pro Bezel still thin ? It is already thin isn't it ? Can it be like absolutely gone kind of bezel ?

5. ericwn macrumors 65816

For this to happen the home button would need changing. Either smaller or an integrated scanner in the display area somewhere. Also, it's ease of use first, I'm sure. If there is a way to shed this plastic of without affecting functionality and cost, we'll see a change. But when that will be the case, we can all only guess.

6. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Anytime soon like 2017?

7. ericwn macrumors 65816

I would not expect a redesign of the Pro models so early, maybe 2018-2020 sometime. Again, guessing, of course.

8. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Which means the 2017 9.7" iPad Pro iteration would mostly have hardware increments like 4GB RAM and 3D Touch home button and a second generation Touch ID. What would really hurt me if I buy the 9.7" iPad Pro on Sunday which I am planning, if I buy it, what would hurt me is 4GB RAM and a complete redesign like more thin bezels. It this happens in the very immediate future after I buy one.

9. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

The bezels are fine, other wise your thumbs would block part of the screen.

10. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Don't have much hope that the next Pro 9.7" will have 4gb ram...buy any device on what it has now and whether it fulfills your needs.

Bezels won't change either for another generation.

11. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Not necessarily. The bezel is much bigger than the home button. They could shrink the bezel to be only slightly larger than the home button, and that would be quite a lot taken off.

12. ericwn macrumors 65816

Good point, you are right, there is some more space around the home button that could be reduced.

13. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Especially with the new iPad mini. Apple made the bezel even bigger on the iPad mini 4, and it's no longer symmetrical in landscape. There's a much bigger gap between the home button and the bottom of the screen than the home button and the edge of the iPad.

image.jpg

14. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

A quick birdie tells me, that Apple's show runner business is the iPhone, if Apple has to do any structural designs or a design change it has to be with the iPhone first, then with its next range of devices ! So I guess unless we see the iPhone design changing iPad's will not be the first to see a radical change in design ! Do you guys agree ?

15. ericwn macrumors 65816

I guess to a degree this makes sense. Apple can use certain parts on iPhone first in order to mass produce them and bring the price per unit/part down much stronger than iPad sales alone could achieve. But as with everything else, there are no guarantees to that either. They might change their mind any day and decide to introduce product changes when and where they see fit.

16. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

It all depends on the Home Button since it's so Round it takes up a lot of space. And also Apple is at the limits of IPS LCD technology that's why they are switching to OLED next year.

17. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

That's a very -kind- way of describing why they are finally considering OLED...

18. ericwn macrumors 65816

And what would be the unkind way of phrasing the rumoured change?

19. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Ohh, I dunno...maybe:

- that they're late to the party (Samsung, Nexus, LG, and other makers have AMOLED screens for several years now)

- that being cheap can only get you so far (before buyers get fed up and jump ship)

I'm sure you could think of others if you tried.

20. ericwn macrumors 65816

Hm, I am not really familiar enough with their devices to see this as inevitable. Is everybody steering towards this technology?
    I haven't encountered a single review of any new iPad describing the screen as cheap either.