Top Case Cracks

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by thatoneguy92088, Jul 8, 2010.

1. thatoneguy92088 macrumors member

My macbook looks like this [​IMG]

Will apple replace it? I have no warranty as I bought it in 2007 and no Apple Care?

2. woodsy macrumors newbie

Of course they'll replace it...at a price.

was it dropped?

3. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

It is not difficult to replace yourself. You can pick great condition top cases up on eBay for under $40 shipped.

I would get a Penryn/Santa Rosa Top Case rather than an older style as it has the current keyboard layout for the function keys to be more useful in Leopard/Snow Leopard.

The possible part numbers are 922-8264, 922-8265, 661-5075, and 661-5076. Be sure to tick the "Include title and description" box on your eBay search. Read the item description carefully to make sure you are buying a top case in excellent condition as all will be used. The same holds for parts web sites that are charging $150+ for the exact same thing.

922-8264 - 2006/2007 MB White (some Santa Rosa's/Penryn top cases show up here)
    922-8265 - 2006/2007 MB Black
    661-5075 - Santa Rosa/Penryn White
    661-5076 - Santa Rosa/Penryn Black

4. spacedcadet macrumors regular

not dropped

This is a design/manufacturing fault with the 2007 MacBooks. I had mine replaced under Applecare. The plastic topcase is weak/brittle and eventually cracks where the magnetic latches are located.

I thought I heard that Apple had acknowledged this and done one of those extended warranty repair things? The replacement cases are apparently tougher.

You may be able to argue your case under local consumer law too?

5. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

Does AppleCare cover cracks?

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but I have a similar question. I found some cracks on the bottom case near the hinge on my wife's white MacBook (purchased in spring 2009, right before the unibodies came out). We have AppleCare on it. Will they fix these cracks under AppleCare?

6. Tali macrumors member

I had the same problem some time ago (no more Apple Care). Top case was repaired without charge as it is a design flaw. I was supposed to pay for the bottom part of the case (had some cracks there too) but I requested a quote before issuing the repair. The genius told me it would be €63. I agreed to do that. A day later the guy who was actually repairing the device called me and told me I would have to pay an extra €128 for the labor cost, that was not included in the actual quote. Rushed to the apple store, talked to store manager about the incident, got it for free.

Be sure to get a quote :)