Top Case of MBP unibody being replaced

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hero887, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Hero887 macrumors member

Earlier I made a post here regarding a loose HDD in my MBP.
    So Apple are now replacing the top case.
    I asked for a replacement instead but the Apple Store said they are different to the online store so they could only offer a repair.
    Just wondering if anyone else here has had their MBP unibody top case replaced?

sounds like a big job, just hope they don't mess it up.
    thanks

2. godaz macrumors regular

It is quite a big job it seems but im sure apple will carry it out to their highest standards, nothing to worry about.

3. wankey macrumors 6502a

Make sure they do it right when you get it back. Check that it works straight away.

I got my top case replaced, and my keyboard backlight didn't work. Had to send it in again.

4. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

Just out of interest why would replace the whole top case just for a loose hard drive - seems a bit excessive. Unless of course the top case innards were manufactured incorrectly.

5. Hero887 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah will make sure it works.

Yeah the top casing has parts which hold the HD so obviously those parts are not working thats why HD is loose according to the genius.

6. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

That seems odd that they would replace the entire top case for a loose hard drive. I would echo what a previous poster said: Check to make sure everything is sorted while at the store before you accept it as fixed.

7. bodhisattva macrumors member

It's my understanding, because the unibody casting has pre-drilled mounting areas.. most likely when the hard drive was mounted, the only thing that could cause the drive to be loose would be loose mounting screws, or stripped out screws during assembly. I would assume the genius looked to see stripped screws, calling for a replacement.. since there are no attached parts for the mounting.. the drilled mounting points are a part of the cast unibody..

8. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, just to reiterate, check the computer very closely when you get it back.

I sent my new unibody MBP in for repair (heating issues) and it came back terribly, terribly scratched up. We're talking five very deep, three-inch-long scratches. The quality control at the Apple repair centers is not always top-notch.

If there is anything wrong, call your local store manager, explain the problem, and ask for a new computer. That's what I did, and walked out of the store with a new, sealed box.

9. Hero887 thread starter macrumors member

Cool thanks
    I did originally ask for an exchange instead of the hassle of this big repair job but they said because I bought from the Apple UK Online store they can't exchange it for a new one instore because they are different to the online store.
    But I guess they could make some sort of an arrangement with the online store if a replacement is needed...
    thanks

10. Mark2000 macrumors regular

Mark2000

Backup your data. All of it, not just the important stuff. Either that or remove the drive before you give it to them. Apple is known for formatting perfectly good drives for no reason. I've seen a bunch of reports on it and i happened to me as well.

I though maybe they replaced the drive since it was a spill incident, but I run an undelete utility on it and found some of my old stuff. Not cool, Apple.