Top Case on Macbook Pro not clipped in

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by The Flashing Fi, Apr 23, 2008.

1. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

Hey guys. About a month ago, I had my screen replaced. I've been noticing a "clicking" sound coming from the case whenever I put pressure on it. Well, I found where it's coming from. It's coming from the right hand side, and there is a little gap there. It's not causing any problems except for the noise whenever pressure is applied there (such as resting your hand over it. It's not over the edge that's over the DVD drive, but on the the edge that is where the speakers are. How can I clip it back in, as it seems that they missed a clip and I don't want to drive to an Apple Store to have them do something that can take 20 seconds to do.

So, how do I clip it back in? I assume it shouldn't take much effort.

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

odd, there are no clips on the side they are all screws, there 4 screws on each side the hold it tight, the clips are just on the front where there are no screws

3. The Flashing Fi thread starter macrumors 6502a

I looked on the side, and when I apply some pressure, the screw moves in the whole. None of the other ones move? Do you think the screw could be a little loose. When they screw it in, is there anything that they have to "hit." Because it is popped up a bit there and it seems that the screw isn't doing its job.

4. Dan 7.1 macrumors newbie

there should not be anything which the screws could hit. the screws on the sides literally just tighten into holes on the top-case itself, so when you screw them in you aren't going into the chassis at all, just through the metal of the bottom case and into the top case.

i would just re-tighten the screw.

5. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

yeah the screws should be TIGHT they shouldnt wiggle at all

6. PDE macrumors 68020

I would unscrew all the screws on the side and then, as you push down the top , screw each one back one by one making sure the top is firmly pressed toward the base as you do tighten the screws. Easy and quick fix.

7. The Flashing Fi thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think I'll try that. I'll have to wait until next week though. I don't have a tiny screw driver aviailable.

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

You'll need a Philips #0 screw driver to ensure a perfect fit.