Top-case repair/change

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thegrandmaster, Feb 13, 2008.

1. thegrandmaster macrumors regular

thegrandmaster

Hey Guys,

I've had a look at the iFixit guide and a couple of others but I haven't been able to decide definitively for myself, I was hoping y'all could help me out.

If one were to remove the 'top-case' of a Macbook Pro (I'm referring to the area around the keyboard/trackpad/ and the speaker grilles), would you have to remove the keyboard also?

Also, if Apple were to change just this piece (the metal 'plate') I was referring to earlier, would they take off the keyboard or examine other parts of the laptop?

Thanks!

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Why do you care if they look at other parts of the laptop?

If you do get Apple to do this I don't imagine it'd be particularly expensive.

3. thegrandmaster thread starter macrumors regular

thegrandmaster

I'm mainly wondering if they would actively go looking for reasons not to do the repair, by examining other parts of the laptop ie: if there were small scratches on the bottom of my laptop or over the markings on the side of the case (I'm a bad shot connecting USB stuff without looking), would they look at that and refuse repair?

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If its in warranty they probably won't care about minor scratches. But you are implying that your machine is out of warranty, so you are paying for the repair, in which case I don't think they'd care if the rest of the machine looked like it had been run over by a truck.

5. thegrandmaster thread starter macrumors regular

thegrandmaster

I wasn't trying to imply that, I only bought my MBP last Jun, so its well within warranty.

Thanks for the help.