Top End 13" TB vs Base 15" TB

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NoCleverSNForMe, Jun 24, 2017.

1. NoCleverSNForMe macrumors regular

Which one should I get? Portability doesn't matter to me. However, my budget is maxed out at this price range. Should I get the highest end 13" TB with i7 or the base 15"?

Thanks guys! Appreciate your advice!

2. tvith macrumors member

can you give a better idea of what you'll be using the MBP for? If it's at the max end of your budget, is it really worth paying for something you won't fully use? Perhaps you can downgrade the 13", save money and still be able to do all you want w/o any lag.

That being said, if you're determined to go to the max of your budget, and the choice is between these two, I would go with the 15".

3. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

If you're doing anything with 3D (CAD, 3D animation, games), the base 15" should be better, potentially a lot better. Especially since you say portability isn't a big concern.

4. serkan macrumors 6502

serkan

Quad core is better than dual core for my needs. +1 for one 15 inch.

5. NoCleverSNForMe thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks so much! I'm constantly using Pages/Adobe InDesign/Adobe Illustrator ontop of the usual web browsing, word processing, etc. Do you think a mid-range 13" nTB could handle it?

Thanks! :) That's one for the 15"

Thanks :) That's another one for the 15". I appreciate your input, seriously! Thank you!

6. macintoshmac macrumors 65816

macintoshmac

In case portability is not a concern, then for the use case you suggest, we should look at a full desktop iMac. Why look at a balance of performance and portability if portability is not a concern? He would be far happier with a full workhorse iMac if he is not into portability. :)

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For me, I like the idea of getting a larger screen, quad core processors and a dGPU.

8. Matt Leaf macrumors regular

I just noticed the 13" have a significantly higher/more options for the CPU than the 15" - going up to 3.5Ghz. Any idea why this chip is not offered in the 15"?

Business wise it makes some sense - it sure helps make the 13" more expensive than it needs to be.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 25, 2017 ---
    Oh, I see. The 13" processors are dual core.

Man.

So that 13" is so expensive.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The 15" MBP is as well.

10. macintoshmac macrumors 65816

macintoshmac

The 15" is double what I paid for the 15" Late 2011 top model in November 2011. I paid roughly $2400 for the 15" top model in 2011. Today, the top 15" is $3500 roughly, in India.

While in dollar terms this doesn't look double, in Rupee terms this is. I paid Rs. 1,16,000 in 2011, today the top model is 2,35,000. Rs. 3,000 more than double.

11. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

These sorts of illustrations are what I find frustrating about Apple under Tim Cook.
    We all know that ASP and margins are absolutely his thing (all businesses care - but an Ops and Finance guy *really* cares) and so many of the moves around the various products lines have really been efforts to simply increase margins and ASP's and extra little nickel and dime charges, seemingly in a priority above all else at times.

12. macintoshmac, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017

macintoshmac macrumors 65816

macintoshmac

When I bought my first Mac, the MacBook Pro Late 2011, prices had literally attained parity - enough parity - at least in terms of MacBooks and some other accessories. And I as customer was very happy. The products had reduced in pricing, and the prices were roughly on par with American pricing and represented very good value considering what they offered in terms of product and quality. But now, that parity is nowhere to be seen. And this is not currency fluctuation or the Indian government's tentacles. This is just Apple choosing to increase their margins to a level where people would seriously consider other platforms.

It is almost as if they are testing the true loyalists and seeing how much they can push the boundaries for pricing their products. I do not mind charging a trip to the moon if they want to, but then give an out of the world experience. :p

About your remark regarding finance guy *really* caring, totally true. Pricing on Apple products has made me skirt with the idea that Tim has not quite left his finance head behind and donned on the other hats a CEO needs to wear. I do, though, wholeheartedly appreciate his stance on user privacy rights, and I am very happy and proud of him for taking that stand. It does take balls, and while it serves to be an excellent PR, fact is that you do need sensibility and balls to take that decision, and glad he can take those decisions for Apple and users. So, I think, when Steve gave the baton to Tim, he did it seeing all sides of the man.

13. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

...and judging by the defense of basically everything they do by so many users here...

I'm not sure there's anything they could do or price they could charge that wouldn't have a huge segment of people defending it..

14. macintoshmac macrumors 65816

macintoshmac

Well, when you think about it, even murder can be defended and justified. Justification does not mean the justified is right. :p

15. jerryk macrumors 68020

Doesn't India have some steep tariffs on goods not at least partially made in India?

16. Munch macrumors member

I don't believe Tim has done anything different in terms of pricing. In Canada, the prices have fluctuated always fluctuated with the US exchange rate, as far back as 2006 when I bought my first MacBook. In that time, prices fell and increased again due to the exchange rate. I would love for Macs to be 30% cheaper like they were several years ago, but that is how things work, don't fault Apple for not cutting into their margins. They are a business, not a charity.

17. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

I agree - But we can use that line of thinking to defend basically any action a business takes, so I'm not sure how much it really helps..

Personally, I just find the current 15" MBP's to be overpriced across the board.

18. macintoshmac, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017

macintoshmac macrumors 65816

macintoshmac

I will repeat what I said, in different words.

1. Mac pricing in India has got nothing to do with currency fluctuation. There was a time, when I bought my MacBook Pro in 2011, when US pricing in dollars converted to Indian Rupees was roughly the MRP of the product in India, increased only by $200 roughly, across board. I am not stupid, do not assume people on MR to be stupid. I did not just talk about high prices that were a result of currency fluctuation.

Let me give you a clear example, taken from your own country, maybe you will understand what I am talking about. MBP 2016 13" with TB, 256GB model, stock, is priced at CAD2399.

What I said:
    - CAD2399 = Rs. 1,16,xxx.
    - But, that model is priced in India at Rs. 1,46,000, equating to CAD3000.

My Late 2011 15" 2.4GHz stock model was priced in USD at 2200.
    Pricing in India was Rs. 1,24,900 equating to USD 2400 at the conversion rate in Oct-Nov 2011.

This is not currency fluctuation, this is different pricing. See? Apple had a extra margin of $200 for MacBooks sold in India. Same was for iPhones. $200 more than US retail pricing. THIS IS NOT CURRENCY FLUCTUATION.

Today, that EXTRA margin stands at over $1,000 which is insane. I am not saying they are not free to charge it. They can charge whatever the hell they want to. My point was something else, twisted and brought down by you to something so meagre as me being a bad boy crying foul at Apple. I was not.

What You said:

You said the prices are due to currency fluctuation. So according to you a CAD2399 MBP should be equivalently priced, right? It is higher only because of fluctuation? Well here are stats:

- 1 Canadian Dollar in 2011 was Rs. 49.42. So, this MBP 2016 priced at CAD2399 would be Rs. 1,18,xxx in 2011.
    - 1 Canadian Dollar today is Rs. 48.59. So, MBP 2016 at CAD2399 is Rs. 1,16,xxx today.

FACT: This MBP is Rs. 1,45,900 as I said, equating to CAD3,000. So... not currency fluctuation. I hope you get it now.

2. Next, I said, that today, the price margins have been inflated so much that the MBP 15" is double of what I bought it in 2011, and it is NOT costing just a currency conversion anymore. I MERELY stated a fact. I did not say anything about bad Apple or rotten Apple or Apple sucks or Tim should step down or anything to that effect. My response about Tim being "finance guy" was strictly in conversation with/response to and context of @turbineseaplane, who said "but an Ops and Finance guy *really* cares) and so many of the moves around the various products lines have really been efforts to simply increase margins and ASP's and extra little nickel and dime charges, seemingly in a priority above all else at times." and he was not wrong to say this. This was all a simple lighthearted conversation and I am sure he got what I was saying, as did I what he was saying. I responded by telling him that $200 extra that we had to pay over the US retail pricing has now shot up to over $1100, and this is not currency fluctuation, this is just charging more. China is right next door to us, nothing can ship to US faster than it can ship to India from China, and nothing can cost less for Apple to ship to India than to ship to US, as India and China are neighbours. So, instead of having at least same pricing give or take some, like $200, we are at over $1100 today, which is way too much.

So, with that said, what are you talking about me "faulting" Apple for not cutting margins? When did I say that? There is no margin cutting involved. Pricing in the US includes everything, right? All margins, all shipping. Surely shipping costs are far less to India. So, instead of CAD2399 for Canada, it could very well be CAD1999 for India. Did my post make any mention to such effect? So why point a finger?

Lastly, is that all that you got from my post? Is that all you choose to single out and point your finger at? I also praised Tim for advocating user privacy rights, no comments from you on that, and on my praising that? When you single out something seemingly negative in my comments, isn't it only fair that you then choose to also refer and opine on the positive that I said? This only leads me to think you just wanted to point your finger at something and someone, that's it, and found me saying something you could use.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 25, 2017 ---
    The "import duty" is there, but that figure has not changed to the best of my knowledge. Another example, that tells how much the duties might be, and corroborated by another company's figures:

Sigma 150-600 HSM Contemporary Lens USD 1089 retail. In Rupees, this is roughly Rs. 73,000 today. MRP of this lens in India is Rs. 88,900 meaning roughly USD1325. So, Sigma also inflates prices roughly $200, give or take some. This is the real deal that companies might be paying on electronics, in way of duties.

Now, this lens is available with a rebate of $100 in US, bringing it down to $989. What is the cost of this lens on Amazon in India? Rs. 66,xxx. In USD, this is roughly $1,000. So, very comparable to US pricing.

So, even with the import duties, companies are able to keep the pricing relatively fair and square across the world. Prices vary because of the duties and taxes, and that's it. Apple in Canada is $2399, it should have been $2599 or say $2699 here in India after duties. But, it is $3,000. Again, I am not saying they are wrong to do this. They are free to price their products however they want to. That is their choice. I, like I said, was responding to @turbineseaplane and telling him of the "extra" pricing here in India by Apple, a practice they always engaged in, then stopped engaging in for a period, and have now started engaging in again.

Do you know, an iPhone 5s 64GB retail was Rs. 72,000 in India? That is $1150 on September 30, 2013. Price in US was $849. So, about $250-300 higher.

Today, iPhone 7 is $749 for 128GB in USA. In India, it is $1045 roughly. So, again, about the same $200-300 window.

Just not as inflated as the MacBook pricing today.

19. Matt Leaf macrumors regular

A good computer has always been about 5000 dollars (AUD), i can remember this back in the 80's as a kid, even something like a Pentium III desktop was 5000 in the shops. So in general I don't mind the price. But personally I don't much like to pay more than 3,500 AUD for a laptop. If you factor in things like Apple care, you're already going to be over 4 grand at that price point.

The only real way into that price point currently is a refurbished 2016.

A refurbished 512gb, 455 GPU 15" comes in at $3229
    A refurbished 1TB, 460 GPU comes in at $4089

By my standards the refurbished 512 with the 455 seems to be what I'm willing to afford.

The 2017 Kaby Lake model with 560 GPU, 512GB is: 4099

But the part that blows me away is a 13" with an i7 chip, and 16gb of ram, brand new, is 3799.

With 1TB - 4399.

The 15" with a 1TB option, remembering its Quad Core, and has 2 more high speed ports, a bigger screen and a dedicated graphics chip - clocks in at $4739.

So for an extra $440, you get all those above things I just mentioned.

That to me is what makes the 13" look so damn expensive.

Or looked at the other way - the 15" is actually relatively cheap compared to the 13".

20. workerbee macrumors member

One thing Tim Cook's Apple is really good at is upselling. When I compare pricing for Retina iMacs, I always end up looking at the 27" model, because there's just so little price difference to a well-specced 21.5" one.