Top end 15" for Creative Cloud

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jakesaunders27, May 29, 2015.

1. jakesaunders27 macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Hi,

Been having a look through all the threads about the new MBP but can't find anything specific for my uses.

I want to get the top spec with the new AMD card in as shown in the screenshot attached.

I work in Logic Pro X most of the time and occasionally Ableton Live. I also work with the Adobe Creative Cloud apps, most specifically Premiere Pro CC 2014, Photoshop CC 2014 & Lightroom CC 2015. Obviously the GPU has no effect on the music apps but for creative cloud is the GPU going to make a huge difference?

I currently have a Quad core Mac Pro, 24GB RAM, SSD, ATI 5770 etc so this would be a replacement for that.

Cheers
    Jake

Attached Files:

2. bmclaurin macrumors member

bmclaurin

In my experience, no. My Early 2015 13" rMBP i7/16/512 runs the CC apps every bit as well as my late 2013 15" rMBP i7/16/512 with dGPU.

3. jakesaunders27 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Ah ok, I suppose the difference is just rendering times really isn't it. Hmm really unsure now!

4. Skika macrumors 68030

Keep in mind scaled resolutions run much much better with dGPU. And usually when you work on projects you run in scaled resolution for more work space, at least i do.

5. jakesaunders27 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Yeah I had a mess around with the resolutions in the apple store and would defiantly use the more space option.

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

CC can leverage a lot from the R9 GPU, because a lot of CC apps are now heavily reliant on OpenCL, and the R9 can greatly speed up rendering times.

7. cookies! macrumors 6502

In my experience, having a discrete GPU makes a big difference in Lightroom and in Photoshop rendering times because of the GPU acceleration support. Lightroom 6 especially shows major improvement in usability when browsing large libraries when using a fast SSD and GPU. I mainly use both a rMBP 13 and 15 (2014 and 2015, respectively)

8. jakesaunders27 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Thanks a lot for your help guys, leaning towards the GPU model just to be future proofed and like someone mentioned Lightroom 6 now has GPU support.

Thanks

9. Zakzilla macrumors member

Zakzilla

I've had both a 13" with no dGPU, and now the new 2015 15" with AMD GPU and can honestly say it's a huge difference. Adobe CC (Illustrator and After Effects for me) is much faster with the AMD chip. Even small UI details like switching Spaces or Mission Control is buttery smooth when the AMD chip is on. And you can use a tool like gfxCardStatus to manually force the AMD chip, which I've been doing because the whole computer is faster with it. The integrated Intel Iris Pro graphics just aren't quite ready to handle retina and OS X Yosemite in my opinion. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Apple announces some big performance improvements in the next OS X version, but we'll see.

I highly recommend going with the AMD GPU if you're doing creative work or don't like seeing the laggy UI

10. jakesaunders27 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Thanks for the details mate. Think I'm going to go for the GPU model.