top end 21" or base 27"

Discussion in 'iMac' started by flexy, Jan 8, 2013.

1. flexy macrumors newbie

Hi yet another which one thread, I have about £1500 to spend on a new machine and have kind of settled on a 21" with 16gb ram and fusion upgrade.

The only reason i haven't press the order button is, at that price I can get the base model 27". My current set is a 13"MBP but need a bigger display for my office to mainly do the usually admin type work email, research online, spreadsheet and the main reason for a bigger display is the view building plan and doing basic drawing work in sketch up, which I can do on my MBP but is a bit annoying due to the screen size.

So what would you guys do? 21" with extras or 27" base? Thanks in advance

2. pizzapappa macrumors member

Really the base 21,5 inch would suffice. Now you can config it with the fusion drive aswell.
    Honestly though. At school we use 24" screens to draw in sketchup, revit and autocad and i think the screen real estate is appreciated therefore, if you have the money. The base 27 -> for the screen size

3. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

I had a similar dilemma, although in my case it was moving from a mid 2007 iMac. In the end I decided to go for the fully kitted 21". The main reason was desk area, I could just about squeeze the larger model onto my desk, but it wouldn't look right. And for what I use it for: word processing, spreadsheeting, music writing/production, I decided I didn't need the extra screen estate. And I think it's better (especially when upgrade options are limited) to have the top of a range of something than the bottom.

4. laryenhilllvr macrumors regular

food for thought: instead of paying apple for your ram upgrade you could buy your own (if you went the 27" route).

5. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I have the first generation aluminum iMac (don't remember which year they came out) and I'm considering the 21.5 model, not maxing it on specs. My desk isn't large enough for the 27" as it would be very close to where I sit and it seems like it would be over-kill and just too much screen so close to my face.

The only option I'm considering is the fusion drive. My current iMac has 3gigs of memory, so I should be fine with the basic 8 that comes with the stock model.

6. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

I should be getting my 21 base with fusion late next week at the earliest. I'll be sitting fairly close to it with the current desk setup I have, so I'll give a report on the speed of the machine and how the screen real estate is.