Top End 27" (Non BTO)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MightyWhite, Oct 24, 2012.

1. MightyWhite macrumors member

Hello,

I have a time constrained question and cant find the answer on the other threads...

iStore in town is offering All Macs (Imacs and Macbook Pro's incl. Retina) 10% off today only as they have been open 1 year today....

In UK top 27" iMac = £1650 with discount = £1485...

2012 top iMac will be £1699

My question. I have 4hours and 40 mins to decide if I want to buy or not so is the new 2012 iMac specs £225 better than current?

I need computer savvy people who know about GPU and CPU as I knoe nowt....

My biggest fear is the "New River Phoenix Operating system works on 2012 iMac 2011 no longer supported" kind of jazz in the future....

Thanks for any responces.

2. laserbeam273 macrumors 6502

It will be a while before River Phoenix comes out and makes the 2011 iMac redundant... by then, it will be worth probably a quarter of the original price.

I think spending $2k++ now so that you computer lasts 4+ years is a bad methodology. In 4 years time, the MBA-equivalents selling for 1k will probably trash the iMac-equivalents. I think upgrading every two years or more regularly is best - the way I'm planning to work at the moment (unless I succumb and buy a top of the line iMac), is to buy the latest model a bit later second hand. Do some numbers, you'll see that it's better.

3. MightyWhite thread starter macrumors member

Now I would be totally happy with a refurb with SSD but the UK store has no refurbs in there.

SSD was really the only thing I was going to upgrade to but feel like I need a 1gb GPU (There is no logic to my thought process I am just a tool that thinks "Well 512 is simply not enough in a GPU for surfing the internet")

Maybe I should just go any buy it today and drop kick my paper weight Dell laptop that broke 2 months ago....

4. PortableLover macrumors 6502a

5. MightyWhite thread starter macrumors member

Basically to feed movies to my apple TV.

To watch movies on it when the wife is watching Bones and the boy is watching spongebob

To continue backing up my blurays and ripping them with Make MKV and hadbrake (have a blu ray drive external)

To look pretty sat on my desk and last me a while

----------

I might try games at some point but I am not a serious gamer....

Also I will use it with CITRIX to log into work but just need the internet for that and no special spec requirements

6. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

The current non-BTO iMac will be able to do all of this, but don't expect it to play games at high settings or resolutions. It's very good for encoding with hand brake and you would only see a minor increase if you wait for the 2012 iMac. The biggest increase in the 2012 iMac is the GPU. If games are not a huge priority, and you're keen to save money, then the 2011 iMac is a good choice.