Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple last week introduced a new $99 HomePod mini, which is a more affordable alternative to the full-size HomePod that's been around since 2017. The HomePod mini isn't shipping out until November, but on paper, it sounds great for those who have been eyeing a HomePod but haven't wanted to shell out $299.

In our latest YouTube video, we outlined the top five reasons why you might want to buy a HomePod mini.

1. $99 Price

At $99, the HomePod mini is a lot more affordable than the $299 HomePod, which was even more expensive ($349) when it first launched. Rumors have suggested that HomePod sales have been weak because of the high price of the device relative to smart speakers from other companies like Amazon and Google, so it was a no brainer for Apple to come up with a cheaper solution.

homepod_mini_homepod.jpg

It's a lot easier to justify spending $99 on a home speaker than it is to spend $299, so the HomePod mini will likely be appealing to a wider consumer base than the original HomePod. At $99, HomePod is a solid choice if you're looking for a decent speaker that also gives you Siri access and HomeKit control.

2. Intercom

With HomePod mini Apple introduced a new Intercom feature that lets you send messages to and from the HomePod and other Apple devices. So, if you put a HomePod mini in oft-used rooms of the house, you can communicate with other family members through the Intercom option.

homepodminiintercom.jpg

Parents will be able to do things like call the kids to dinner or make sure they're getting ready for school, and at that $99 price tag, it's more affordable to buy a couple of HomePod minis to place throughout the house.

Intercom messages sent to HomePod are played out loud in the room in your actual voice, and you can send them from any device. You can also send Intercom messages on iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, AirPods, and even CarPlay.

3. HomeKit

A HomePod mini is a great way to control HomeKit-connected devices by voice. It's pretty convenient to be able to just say something like "Hey Siri, turn out the lights in the bedroom" at night to turn off the lights, and HomePod mini works with all HomeKit-connected devices.

homepod-mini-power-cable.jpg

It's an AirPlay 2 speaker so you can use it in scenes and automations for automatically playing music when desired, plus it serves as a Home Hub to allow you to access all your HomeKit devices when you're away from home.

4. Stereo Pairing

Two HomePod minis can work together as a stereo pair with left and right channels, serving as audio for an Apple TV or a home theater setup. When paired up, two HomePod minis can create a more immersive sound experience.

homepodminicolors.jpg

You can pair two full-size HomePods together too, but it's a lot cheaper to buy two HomePod minis than to buy two HomePods.

5. Handoff

With handoff functionality, you can bring an iPhone or iPad close to your HomePod mini and then the music that's playing on your device will transfer right over to the HomePod mini. You can also transfer from HomePod mini to iPhone when you're leaving the house.

homepodhandoff.jpg

There's a U1 chip that's in the HomePod mini (and not the HomePod), and Apple says that this chip will enable a different transfer experience with haptic feedback and personalized listening suggestions.

Feedback and Launch Date

Have other reasons you're considering a HomePod mini? Let us know in the comments below.

HomePod mini will be available to pre-order on Friday, November 6, and it will start arriving to customers on Monday, November 16, the official HomePod mini launch date.

Article Link: Top Five Reasons to Buy a HomePod Mini

RealKrS

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
Not trying to troll, but for me the only reason I can‘t see myself buying any HomePods is Siri and her favorite “Here’s what I’ve found” answer to everything I ask, followed by a complete silence until I look down at my screen to see web search results. I’m wondering how that works on a HomePod..

munpip214

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Thread networking is probably going to be one of those silent updates that proves quite important in the future, along with ultra wideband.
I’m buying two of these to use as a surround sound system for my living room Apple TV - The software update for the HomePod now allows you to pair these to your Apple TV to use as the default sound system which is definitely awesome! I think Apple is going to sell a lot of these this year for Christmas time!

Only the regular HomePod is getting this software. Not the mini’s

WiseAJ

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2009
PDX
Thread networking is probably going to be one of those silent updates that proves quite important in the future, along with ultra wideband.

Only the regular HomePod is getting this software. Not the mini’s

You can still connect the mini's to the Apple TV by default and have a stereo pair as well. What is exclusive to the fullsized HomePod and Apple TV 4K is the Dolby Atmos sound.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
It already connects to a USB-C power adaptor out of the box so all you need is one of the portable batteries with a USB-C port.
I did not pay attention to how it was powered, so if this is the case, that it's just going to need a USB-C connection, then it does make it somewhat portable when using a USB-C battery pack. It will be handy for using by the fire pit this fall / winter.

xyz01

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
Oslo, Norway
I’m buying two of these to use as a surround sound system for my living room Apple TV - The software update for the HomePod now allows you to pair these to your Apple TV to use as the default sound system which is definitely awesome! I think Apple is going to sell a lot of these this year for Christmas time!

Unless everything on your TV is coming from your AppleTV, they're not very well suited as a TV speaker system. You're much better off going for something like Sonos ARC.

If they add ARC to AppleTV a setup like the one you describe would be more interesting, although Sonos would still have much better sound, have a better Apple Music interface than Apple[*], support more services and still support Airplay2.

[*] Apple, please separate your own playlists from the Apple Music playlists you like...

Reactions: decypher44

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
1. You can buy 2-3 Echo dots for the same price. 5 right now if you go with the previous gen.
2. Alexa has supported this for years.
3. Much, much more smart products support Alexa than Homekit, and cost generally half as much.
4. Yeah Alexa has also supported this for two years now.
5. Why do I need this? It's a cute gimmick but other than that I can continue playback on my Alexa devices with a voice command.

So let's see: close to whole home coverage for the price of one Homepod Mini thanks to the Best Buy sale going on right now, the same if not better functionality in regards to communication and control of smart devices around the home, easy stereo pairing that improves sound quality dramatically with minimal effort and supports ALL music streaming services including Apple's? Sorry, but no. Apple needs to try a lot harder and compromise on their ridiculous price margins a bit more before I'd ever consider abandoning my Echos for HomePods, Mini or otherwise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.