Top Gear-like program for computers

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by lifeinhd, Jul 22, 2010.

1. lifeinhd macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

I had this strange idea the other day, I was wondering what you thought of it....

I really like Top Gear, particularly the challenges and reviews (so, the bulk of the show, the interviews I don't feel bad if I miss). Considering how popular the show is, they must be doing something right. So what if there were a program in a similar style, but instead of using cars, they used computers? Obviously, testing computers would be easy, and I'll bet the tests could be made as exciting and, dare I say useful, as the TG road tests. Challenges could also be fun, I can see a "$200 netbook" challenge, a "build-a-computer-using-free-parts" race, a "find-the-oldest-computer-that-can-still-be-used-for-everyday-tasks" quest, and the like. Interviews, I'm not entirely sure how that would work, because it isn't asking much to have a celebrity use a computer for five minutes.

Thoughts?

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I thought about this same topic in 2002ish. Like thousands others I reckon :D.
    I don't think it would be that interesting to be honest. I don't like cars that much but I love Top Gear because of the pace of the show and the cast. I just couldn't see a computer show being as quickly paced.

It would have to be a British production on the BBC (like TG, they're immune to advertisements swaying bias). And I just don't see the BBC making such a show.

3. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

I think this is the show you are after. It's not as good as Top Gear, but it has all the challenges etc. that you are talking about.

http://fwd.five.tv/gadget-show

4. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

I watch it for the exact same reason. I've never heard of half the cars they mention but they just review them in an entertaining way not like a list of what the cars can do and make it simple.

5. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

The Gadget Show is alright, although it could be improved I suppose. I mostly watch TG for the cars, as I'm a car guy, but the banter is good as well.

6. kolax macrumors G3

Gadget Show does my head in. The concept is good, but the presenters..

It's like Top Gear is to Fifth Gear. Channel 5 pish..

7. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Got that right, from what I've seen of the ads for the new Series it seems as though they are trying to loose them up a bit.

We'll just have to see how well that goes, that is if I remember to tune in to watch it :D

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I caught one episode of the Gadget Show a while back, they were testing out how waterproof our modern gadgets are (or were, it was a while back!). Wasn't bad but nowhere near Top Gear quality.

9. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Yeah, I think they have a lot less to spend on the actual show compared to TopGear.

10. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

On a related note I always thought a web designers reality show would have worked. Kind of a Top Chef/Project Runway style but interactive.

Each week there would be a web design task (Restaurant site, dating site, sports site, etc.) for all the web designers. The resulting designs could be posted online and so viewers could vote on which they liked/disliked.

Each week one designer could be voted off. At the end the winner could receive some money and/or several big accounts.

11. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

You know, what can they do in terms of quality for the show to make it like Top Gear?

There aren't many features where they can get out the lens filters and give us the big(ish) budget scenes that Top Gear is able to. But that is down to what Top Gear is shooting - cars.

The music video challenge was great, and the Fightstar video that Suzie directed during it was just brilliant, but apart from that I don't know where they can employ Top Gear like techniques.

I like Oatis and Suzie a lot, mainly because I remember them from my childhood, Suzie hosting the Superbikes and Oatis was a CBBC presenter. Jason's ok, but reminds me too much of one of the people in random german rock/hip-hop band, Der fantastischen vier and the old guy just doesn't do it for me. He was on that 'Click' program on News 24, which was crappy.

I think it's a pretty good and entertaining show, but then, I think Diggnation is an entertaining show too, even though it is truly low budget, it goes along with Top Gears philosophy of grown men arsing about with cars/technology. Hopefully Kevin Rose will make FForward on Revision3 a bit Top Gear like...

12. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Christ no! One badly dressed gurning gobshite spurting racist/sexist/homophobic 'comedy banter' whilst two sycophantic non-entites laugh along with him is horrific enough.

The tech/gaming world has a hard enough press as it is (Paedophiles using social networking to groom their victims, GTA training impressionable youths to murder prostitutes, Facebook causing cancer, and so on), without adding a Top Gear-alike to the mix.