Top Gear love the iPhone

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by kolax, Nov 15, 2009.

1. kolax macrumors G3

The new episode of Top Gear featured all three mad hatters trying to set up their phone's to connect via Bluetooth to their cars. Of course, the phone was the iPhone.

Later in the episode, Clarkson used an iPhone app to measure the decibels of each of the three cars they were driving, and said all you need is "..car..a cheap app".

2. yorkshire macrumors 6502a

yorkshire

I saw this, and wondered if someone would mention it on MR. I remember in the last series JC getting his white iPhone out on the train, putting it against his face which was covered in soot :/ . Richard had a black one, but I wasn't paying enough attention to see if James's phone was an iPhone.

I also remember last series when they had Stephen Fry as a guest, and Clarkson and Fry both said they had a love for "a certain phone".
    Shows how great the iPhone is!

3. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I seem to remember them also saying that Clarkson had only just worked out what an app was :eek:

I miss Top Gear :(

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I knew one day there'd be a reason for me to fall out of love with my iPhone… and a ringing endorsement by those three twats is just about enough…

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

It was on last night and it was very good IMO.

6. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I'm outside the UK just now :(

7. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

just saw this tonight. pretty cool.

8. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

I wish we could get the most recent episodes. I think the states are like 3 or 4 seasons behind. Best show on television though.

9. Veinticinco macrumors 6502a

Veinticinco

Amen, took the words out of my mouth.

I'm a big petrolhead but just can't get past those smug, cringeworthy schoolboy-level Beavis and Butthead morons - the Complete Arse who thinks he's a national treasure, the Pikey who milks his crash given every opportunity, and the Nerd who really needs to get out more. The sycophantic cronies that stand in the studio cheering every lame gag just top it off.

10. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Tell me, do you do the voice for Points Of View?

11. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

There's a big, big difference between fans and sycophants.

I love the show. I particularly enjoy reading JC's column in the sun, and hearing his opinions on TV; he's one of very, very few public figures who speak their mind, with, seemingly, no fear of consequence. He also supports the armed forces wholeheartedly, and repeatedly lets them know that, which is nice to see.

12. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Hahaha you sound exactly like my mum. Which is ironic since a lot of the time the presenters remind me so much of my dad it's unbelievable. I find them funny, I actually fast forward through all the serious car bits.

Top Gear is my guilty secret, I don't tell her I watch it :eek:

13. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

What series are they in now? I've only been able to see/find Series 12, last epp being the Vietnam Special.

I'm seriously Jonesing for new ones. Heck! I think Leno is too, you see the SoCal take on Star in a Reasonable-Priced Car?!? Celeb-in-an-Electric-Car-With-Crap-Fired-At-It-With-No-Stig-As-A-Control.

14. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

iPlayer.

AppleMatt

15. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

iplayer is only availabel in the uk...

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

That's why you have to obtain TG episodes via alternate means. I see episodes about an hour or two after they air in the UK ;)

I don't really care if it's wrong or not, if the BBC doesn't want Americans to download Top Gear, then they should air it in the US the same time they air it in the UK, without cutting out 20 minutes to add in commercials or making any other edits. And if the channels in the UK wait a 2 years before airing new episodes of our shows such as The Simpsons or whatever else gets aired over there, I would fully support the Brits pirating it. If BBC America were to air them the same day in the same form as BBC UK, I would happily set my DVR and stop downloading them.

17. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wirelessly posted (Nokia 5800 Tube XpressMusic : Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; U; Series60/5.0 Nokia5800d-1/21.0.101; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

I don't like any of them too much. Actually, only JC and Hamster act like smug twunts all the time. May actually seems tolerable more times than not, and is probably the most interesting in real life, despite his boring persona on the show.

19. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I think it's A LOT more behind than that. More like a 3-4 seasons behind, if my mother (in the US) is correct. I'm not sure why that is but it's stupid and precisely the reason why Top Gear is the most torrented TV show ever.

Edit: LOL, I need to learn to read sometime. I thought you said 3-4 episodes. D'OH Never mind that first part then.

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I've always hated trying to pair my phone with any car; always tedious and often fails to work.

I'm with you on that. I would definitely buy the latest episodes, but they are just not available. Must resort to alternative means.