Top i7 Mac for future Gaming

Discussion in 'iMac' started by boogieman14, May 6, 2011.

1. boogieman14 macrumors newbie

I put on order for the i7 and the 2Gig Video Card, would this machine handle somewhat serious gaming within 2 years time frame,

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Depends on what you mean by "handle." It shouldn't be that hard to accept that in 2 years the video demands from gaming will probably be much greater than today.

3. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

It will be fine until it isn't and then you won't have any options other than to replace it.

4. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Probably not.

5. Zen0Jin macrumors member

The 6970 card is 2 years old, since it can handle current games fairly decently, it will definitely not in 4 years (it would make it a 4 year old card).

6. Hayashi macrumors newbie

You're probably good for at least another 5 years haha. With counsels holding back pc games because they are mostly ported over. I can't image you would have to upgrade anytime soon.

7. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

The 6970 came out this year.

@OP: Yes it will handle decent gaming for about that time, but expect that you may have to play future games at slightly lower setting over the time.

8. Zen0Jin macrumors member

No, the 6970 is a 2 year old card. It may have come OUT this year.

9. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

Being as powerful as a card from 2 years ago and being to years old is something different. The 6970 is from this year not from 2 years ago. However you may be right with the performance.

10. Zen0Jin macrumors member

Well, that was my point...

It's equivalent to a 2 year old card. If you buy a top end desktop card today, it will last you 2 more years for sure, but the iMac has a 2 year old card already.

It's not a big deal to me because I know Diablo 3 will screen on a 6970M and there isn't really that much worth getting excited about. Worst thing is that in 2 years, you'll have to run at 2x AA instead of 8x AA or turn down the resolution.

11. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

With a Top Moblity Card such as the 6970m I have no fear that i will be able to run Witcher 2, Skyrim, MassEffect3, or any other game that will be released in the next 1,5 years at at least High and 1080p...with no AA of course.

I dont understand why one would waste GPU power with AA; max. AA i use is 2x.

12. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Really depends on what kind of a graphics freak you are. My kids are playing on HD2600 iMacs and are still enjoying the experience. I think you should be fine if you are happy with running a game at medium detail in 2 years time. Most will still probably run on high with some tweaking.