Top i7 model iMacs (2011) = more fan noise?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Mac32, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Mac32, Dec 2, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012

Mac32 macrumors 6502a

Hi!

Sorry, yet another questions about CPUs. This is the very last one. :D I'm debating whether going for the i5 or the i7 iMac 27'' model.

How often do you people with the highest CPU model iMacs (i7) experience the fans rev up? Are the fastest i7 CPU iMacs in general more noisy than their lower clocked i5 counterparts? I guess the most relevant comparison would be the last iMac 27'' models.

My new iMac purchase is going to be really expensive, so I want to get it right. I'm debating going for the 3.4ghz i7 (over the 3.2ghz i5), but if it's at the expense of a more noisy computer with noises going off at moderate loads, I'd just rather go for the i5 (for my use hyperthreading is more about futureproofing).

Again, I would greatly appreciate anyone who has experience i5 vs i7 iMacs, if there's a difference in general temperature and fan noise with moderate-high loads. (Windows 7 and gaming + OSX in general)

Thanks! :)

2. r3m1 macrumors regular

r3m1

I have the 3,4GHz i7 purchased June this year with the 2GB Hard drive and 2GB video. The machine is very very quiet. Even if iStat shows that temperatures on the inside reach 50 degrees celcius.

Overall - sound or noise from the machine when doing heavy tasks have never been an issue.

3. Mac32 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! :) Anyone who've played around with both i5 and i7 models? That would be very interesting to know more about..