Top IMAC 27" VS Top Macbook pro Retina for video editing

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dany74m, May 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dany74m macrumors member

Hi Guys,

I already posted this on the MacBook Pro forum, but I also want to have the opinion of IMAC users, I hope I'm not breaking any rules.

I'm a professional videographer and I use primary to edit adobe Premiere. In the beginning I was needing of power and portability so I bought the late 2013 Macbook pro with 16gb and 1TB SSD. I have to say I'm quite satisfied with this machine, considering that is a Notebook is an amazing beast, even if some time with complex video suffers a little.

Now things are changed and portability for me is not anymore an issue, so I'm trying to understand if to sell my macbook pro and buy the top IMAC 27" with the GTX 780M 4gb. I thought the IMAC would have been be faster and would have been let me to edit smother, but than I read something about the intel iris being faster than the GTX. So I'm a little confused. Is it worth to switch to the IMAC, or the performance would be the same, so it is better just buy an external 27" monitor and continue to edit with my macbook pro?

Thank you.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Iris is only faster in OpenCL tasks. Video editing is still primarily either OpenGL-based or CUDA-accelerated. Premiere Pro and AfterEffects both have CUDA support, and so the GTX780M will accelerate operations on it.

I have a 27" iMac (3.5 i7/32/512/4GB 780M) and it absolutely flies when doing heavy editing on 1080p, and also pretty fast even when doing 4K.

I wouldn't advise to put the brunt of your editing work on the rMBP, because it'll reach its throttling point faster (it heats up way faster than the iMac). The iMac runs smooth and pretty quietly even when under heavy loads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.