Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iisarenotnobody

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
I've been ripping DVD's to my 2.66 iMac and noticed that on the top left of my iMac it was SCORCHING hot. The same thing happens when i Export FCE movies but no where near as hot.

I use Handbrake btw

munson

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2008
Boston, MA
ye its usual i do alot of work on the internet and my imac is burning hot so dont worry:)

Same. They're sort of built to handle the heat, since Apple knew they would get outrageously hot.

Also, those temps are not too out of the ordinary. Mine run at that most of the time. Wait until you start maxing out on your resources (extreme multitasking and graphics processing simultaneously) and you'll start to see some higher temperatures.

Also, I am pretty sure that there is a system in place to make sure that once your computer reaches certain temperatures it simply shuts off for safety reasons, and so the computer does not become damaged - but don't quote me on this, since I'm not 100% on it.

passingXstorm

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2008
Those temps are normal. The iMacs just run hot (to the touch) when you do processor intensive stuff. Open your door and have your AC and a ceiling fan running while doing that, unless you want to use the mac as a space heater. lol Nothing to worry about though.

iisarenotnobody

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
LOL. thanks for all the responses. i wondered why it would always get hot... damn u photoshop and dreamweaver! ;)

I LOVE MY MAC....:D:D:D

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Zap it with the laser temperature probe and you will find it isn't as scorching hot as you think it is.

I got a 108°F for my scorching hot surface temperature.

Feels a lot hotter than it is, due to the dandy heat transfer of aluminum.

mike12806

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2007
Boston, MA
My imac fan cpu and hard drive fans will not increase above 1200 rpm, no matter what I do! Is this normal? It's a 24 inch refurb Aluminum, just got it yesterday and it's definitely much hotter than my old white imac!

Edit: the power supply temp was up over 80 C last night!

passingXstorm

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2008
My imac fan cpu and hard drive fans will not increase above 1200 rpm, no matter what I do! Is this normal? It's a 24 inch refurb Aluminum, just got it yesterday and it's definitely much hotter than my old white imac!

Edit: the power supply temp was up over 80 C last night!

Did you reset the pram?

mike12806

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2007
Boston, MA
Did you reset the pram?

I reset the SMC, which controls fan speed and temp settings etc. on intel-based macs. I had no change after doing this....are the AL imac fans simply made to not increase their speed, even while under load?

web.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.