Top, Maxed (BTO) 15" rMBP in Apple Store(s)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by simon48, Nov 1, 2013.

1. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

I just wanted to pass this on to any BTO buyers. I'm going to buy the top, maxed out 15" rMBP (2.6GHz, 16GB, 1TB, 750m). I've asked a few times at the Apple store if they had it and they've either said not right now or no, we won't have it. But I called to day and they said they have it and plan to stock it!

I just wanted to let any potential BTO buyers know. I mean who likes waiting for shipping? :D Anyone have any luck getting a BTO in your Apple store or plan to?

2. sabbyp macrumors regular

I bought mine in a store, they said they keep some just in case but it's not technically for sale in stores, weird!

3. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

This has always been the case and its a secret for your friends. Hope you guys did not blow it, I'm heading to my store to get it in the morning. I checked earlier in the week and they had it.

Everyone in Phoenix do not pay any attention to this. LOL

4. simon48 thread starter macrumors 65816

simon48

Good point. :p My store had better holdout 4-5 days for me! I've asked for BTO before, but for some reason this time it was really hard, only 1 in 5 employees knew it existed and a couple of them did not believe Apple had ever had BTOs.

5. hogprint macrumors regular

hogprint

I just did this very thing today. Maxed out 15" rMBP 2.6/16gb/1tb right in the store. Mine had 5 in stock.

6. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

Employees most likely would not know. Need them to look up stock on there devices. It's there

Classic case of customer comes in say I want a 2.6 500gb and they can upsell them to max config instead.

7. simon48 thread starter macrumors 65816

simon48

Um, the employees can't up sell if they don't know they have it.

8. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

Well some do and some don't. There are a lot of products in the stores to remember what is and what is not. Need for them to look for the 2.6 models. My sales associate did not until I told him they do. This is how I got the one I have today

9. Benk3350 macrumors member

Thats good to hear, even though mine has already shipped.

If I were to have problems with my maxed out BTO, does that mean I could bring it to the store for a replacement instead of having to ship it? Because that would be awesome. That was one of my worries of getting BTO, was that if I just got a normal one, I could instantly replace it and if I got a BTO, I would have to ship it back, wait another week or more, just to hopefully get a working one.

10. simon48 thread starter macrumors 65816

simon48

I don't see why not. I'd call the Apple store to make sure they have it before you go there. You might have to be very firm and tell them to go check.

11. sabbyp macrumors regular

it's true, the employee I was speaking to about it claimed that i'd have to order online - but then he said "let me just check our stock and see what we actually have". Low and behold there were 2 in stock there and then.

I actually thought they were other people's BTO orders that they were willing to sell to someone else (better to delay someone's purchased order than lose a walk-in sale, right?)

12. Jah2013 macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, this is not a choice in smaller countries.. I guess they wont stock them up when they have a special country version (e.g. Keyboard, charging adapters, ..) and the battery is not happy to stay un****ed for a few months.. I heard they cant really handle well to be unsucked for 3-6 months.. :apple:

13. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

Anyone know if this is the case in the UK?

I'm ideally looking for just the 1TB upgrade, but would rather get it in a shop as delivery is always a pain.

14. Benk3350 macrumors member

Hmm thats good to know. will be annoying to have to pest the employee to check, but it beats those shipping delays. Thats of course IF something goes wrong where it needs replacement.

15. simon48 thread starter macrumors 65816

simon48

Success! Got one today! They had three in stock.

16. twentyred macrumors newbie

It was in the Birmingham Bullring store, I got one the day after the announcement. No indication on how many they had, though.

17. Breedlove macrumors regular

18. simon48 thread starter macrumors 65816

simon48

Call your Apple store and find out, you'll probably need to ask them to go look.