Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kreasonos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2013
Can anyone shed some light on the reason faceID is at the top of the ipad pro as opposed to on the side?

s66

Suspended
Dec 12, 2016
Probably due to where there is space in the case.

In practice it matters little as long as you keep your hands away from where the camera is during faceId. (if needed the iPad also tells you where it is.

Reactions: kreasonos

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
as long as you keep your hands away from where the camera is during faceId. (if needed the iPad also tells you where it is.
That's my problem, when I pick up the device in landscape my hand is always over the camera, so I have to then shift my grip to log in. It's also a problem for people doing video chats, because they aren't centered in the picture - when you are looking at the person you are chatting with, to them you are looking to the side.

I think it was a mistake for Apple to not move it with the 2020 device, considering it's even more designed for landscape usage and video chats than before.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
i think given where the pencil needs to attach and charge with a case, it made sense to Apple to place it at the “top“ when the iPad is in landscape. Now they could have placed the face id system off set but maybe they don’t like the asymetrical placement of the system. These are my guesses. Wonder if they could explain why they choose what decisions.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Since Face ID works in landscape, I don’t see the placement of that array as a massive issue. What I would like however is a second standard camera on the long edge for FaceTime and video conferencing. The angle when using the Smart Keyboard with the current camera placement is seldom flattering. Would rather have had that than the second rear camera on the new Pros.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.