"Top News" is old news.

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by theheadguy, Jan 28, 2011.

1. theheadguy macrumors 65816

"Top News: Steve Jobs Taking Leave of Absence"

My apologies if someone has already posted this, but I'm getting increasingly irritated by this new 'feature' on the main page.

When something was important (like his leave of absence or a countdown to an event), that space was used for that purpose and removed when it was no longer relevant.

Now, you have a permanent space for it and it's almost like crying wolf. When something important really needs to go there, most people will likely ignore it because you've had the same "Top News" there for weeks.

I could go on, but I think you got my point. Leave good enough alone until a true redesign.

Thanks,
    theheadguy

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I agree - use that space only for countdowns and such. The current usage is a bit silly.

3. QuarterSwede, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011

QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Wow, I didn't even realize it was there. Yeah, that's pretty much useless.

Honestly, if they want to do something like that they need to do something with pictures like Engadget or Neowin.net

Attached Files:

4. Creative One macrumors 6502

Creative One

I also agree. Even the common non-tech person knows about this because it is talked about pretty much every day by every local news station.

5. karsten macrumors 6502a

karsten

it's probably more for the person who hasn't logged on for like a month so they dont have to scroll through all the news articles for the most important ones

6. Creative One macrumors 6502

Creative One

If you had of read the responses, or watched any news station, it's all over it.

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Well, seeing as this thread was created just yesterday, not everyone saw the front page news.

"New" and "old" are relative words. It takes up a very small amount of space and that news story has generated almost 900 comments. I think it's manually placed there so stays as long as the admins feel it serves some purpose.

8. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

9. theheadguy thread starter macrumors 65816

I've noticed it's gone. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :p