Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ksavorate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2008
Hello,
I recently found a large thin scratch on the top of my 15" MacBook Pro. The laptop is new, I only got it like a couple weeks ago.

I have a couple of questions about my situation here:

1. What should I do about the scratch?
2. Will Apple replace my laptop if I request it, since its brand new?

Here are a couple pictures of the scratches:
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/5549/img1606js9.jpg
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/1213/img1608mj3.jpg
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/3641/img1609pz3.jpg

Thanks so much!

KSavorate

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
There is nothing you can do, except replace the top yourself, which I wouldn't think is worth it since it will cost you about $800.

And no Apple don't replace that! It's like getting a car replaced because you scratched it!

ksavorate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2008
Hmm ok.
I am covered under AppleCare, would that make a difference?

KSavorate

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
I know seeing the first scratch hurts real bad, but it was bound to happen eventually, no matter how careful u are.

I wouldn't worry about it; the cost to replace the top is prohibitive, and there is no way that Apple would replace it under warranty.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
Hmm ok.
I am covered under AppleCare, would that make a difference?

applecare protects against manufactured defects; it isn't an insurance policy that protects against scratches or other accidental damages (like spilled liquids). essentially, if it isn't apple's fault, they're not going to help you. i'm really sorry about the scratch, but it's something you'll just have to learn to live with. replacing the top case simply isn't worth the expense.

just out of curiosity, though, how did you get such a large scratch on the mbp?

ksavorate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2008
I'n not really sure,
It might've happened while one of my books or calculator scratched it in my bag.

There's absolutley no way huh.... :(

Maybe it actually came with the laptop when I bought it but I didn't notice it because you can't see it from some angles.
If it did, I probably couldn't convince them that it came like that as it has been a month later...could I?

Thanks for all your replies guys!

KSavorate

joey4127

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004
I'n not really sure,
It might've happened while one of my books or calculator scratched it in my bag.

There's absolutley no way huh.... :(

Maybe it actually came with the laptop when I bought it but I didn't notice it because you can't see it from some angles.
If it did, I probably couldn't convince them that it came like that as it has been a month later...could I?

Thanks for all your replies guys!

KSavorate

Nah it's to late now...You could have done a lot to your MBP in a month...You could try calling them and making some stuff up...But I doubt they will do anything...

ksavorate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2008
Thanks for the reply and all the help!
:)

KSavorate

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
It's really not that bigga deal to get the whole thing replaced...

The whole thing or the top? Cause any ways he uses to get the whole computer replaced would be fraudulent and I will not suggest. And if it's just the top, well he'd have to buy the whole display for $850 which isn't worth it.

styxfan

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2006
Umm, it won't cost you 800 to get it fixed unless you send it directly to Apple.

The actual part can be found for under $100 online. If you took it to someone, they'd probably put it on for less than $100 too. You could probably put it on yourself if you found a guide.

I'll give you a link to the part.

http://www.welovemacs.com/9227221.html

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
As a previous poster stated, it's bound to happen. And yes, the first one does suck. TSA at the airport scratched my laptop up and even almost dropped it.

If it doesn't affect the performance I wouldn't worry about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.