Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
My watch has been off for a few weeks, as I lost my nan, who bought it for me.

Just turned it on, and notice that when in any app, the top edge of the screen is blurry.

Noticed this before, and after updating.

Can anyone please advise?

Thanks.

Edit, I think it is to do with always showing the time, and which app you're in, when you're in any app.

Is there anyway to turn this off?

IMG_0861.JPG

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Alex Cai

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Have you tried a “hard” reset of your Watch?
I turned it off, then back on.

It's either a bug, or a setting that I can't seem to find.

When you're in an app, do you always see the time and name of the app in the top right hand corner of the screen?

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK

Just turned it on, and notice that when in any app, the top edge of the screen is blurry.

Thanks.

Edit, I think it is to do with always showing the time, and which app you're in, when you're in any app.

View attachment 2324781
Sorry to hear about your Nan, I was just thinking the other day that I havent seen you around here for a while - I hope you are ok.

I had it once on mine, but just did a hard reset and it went. You say the watch has been off for a while - have you updated to 10.2? Not that it will necessarily fix it, but it will perform at least a reinstall of the OS.

Take care

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Sorry to hear about your Nan, I was just thinking the other day that I havent seen you around here for a while - I hope you are ok.

I had it once on mine, but just did a hard reset and it went. You say the watch has been off for a while - have you updated to 10.2? Not that it will necessarily fix it, but it will perform at least a reinstall of the OS.

Take care
Thank you for your condolences.

My nan raised me, so it's the most difficult thing I've ever had to deal with.

Regarding the watch, I've reset and re-paired it, but it still does it.

It's strange, because it wasn't doing it when I was last wearing it, weeks ago? So it was doing it when I turned it on, and it's still doing it after updating.

Other people have reported it happening with their devices, too.

Wishing you well, and thanks again.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Theory: It appears to be blurring below the overlay and can be different sizes. See the pic above and it seems to blur behind “App Store” and search icon. I bet this is a “feature” added in 10.2. For instance on Calendar it blurs even farther down.

Reactions: autrefois

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Theory: It appears to be blurring below the overlay and can be different sizes. See the pic above and it seems to blur behind “App Store” and search icon. I bet this is a “feature” added in 10.2. For instance on Calendar it blurs even farther down.
I concur.

A silly "feature" I must say, though.

bwilh3lm

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2023
You could turn on "reduce transparency" setting in accessibility. I always run with it on and I don't notice it on my watch.

The settings header will still take up the same screen space however.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
This shrinking of app name into this huge bar with app name on side is a real problem here.

As mentioned in previous post - issue can be mitigated by reducing transparency which I also use since day 1 as watch for me had to give me clear informations not blurry unicorn-sweet one…

Hoping Apple will shrink this this bar which is currently like 1/5 of watch screen size :/

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania

Thanks.

View attachment 2324781
Just a transparency bug from the settings header. I have it on my watch as well.

surfzen21

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2019
New York
Sorry about you nan.

I decided to go though a bunch of different menus and apps and it does it in every app that has a "doc" at the top. I don't think its a bug or something that can be turned off. I saw it when scrolling through settings, music playlists and workouts.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
You could turn on "reduce transparency" setting in accessibility. I always run with it on and I don't notice it on my watch.

The settings header will still take up the same screen space however.
I tried that, but it’s even worse.

Thanks for the advice, though.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Sorry about you nan.

I decided to go though a bunch of different menus and apps and it does it in every app that has a "doc" at the top. I don't think its a bug or something that can be turned off. I saw it when scrolling through settings, music playlists and workouts.
Thanks.

• Love
Reactions: surfzen21

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
What a lovely lady! Thank you for sharing the pic!
She was one of a kind.

Completely selfless.

Loved all living creatures, and fed all the strays.

She raised me, and I truly believe she is giving me the strength to get through this, because I don’t know how I’ve managed.

There can be some ignorant people on MacRumors, but there are also some lovely & caring people.

Thank you.

csalm87

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
This is part of the UI. It blurs as you scroll through at the top so you can still read the time. Nothing is wrong with the watch.

It may have been better if it started to fade to black at the top but this is a very minor thing. I would suggest providing feedback to Apple around it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.