Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mhkobe

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2009
Thanks, that makes sense :D

What makes the nvidia quadro fx 4800 so expensive? Is that even all that much better for the extra 1k?

It has an ultra high core count 1.5 gigs gddr3 ram, but the drivers suck, you will get almost as good performance, sometimes better with the WAYYYY cheaper 4870 mac card. STAY AWAY FROM THE QUADRO YOU WILL WASTE YOUR MONEY. I would just go for the 4870 if you are just using graphics intensive mac apps eg. Modo, Photoshop etc. or the gtx 265 for gaming, also, as long as you have a high clock, gaming will be fine. The stereo-type that multi-cores are bad for gaming is just made because when we started using dual cores, clocks dropped and the games couldn't utilize multiple cores at the same time. With turbo-boost on a 2.93 GHz nehalem xeon, you will be fine. Does anyone know the Cinebench benchmarks for a fully configured mac pro, I have used a dual quad 2.26GHz with 6 gigs RAM, gt 120 etc. and it got around 19800, i want to see how much benefeit the extra ram and clock would be. Also, it has to be nehalem architecture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.