Top Of The Line rMBP or Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Switchfoot, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Switchfoot macrumors member

Hey guys- looking to get a little feedback.

With education discounts, the new 15" rMBP (with all upgrades, including 1TB SSD) comes to about $3k, which puts me right over the cusp of the Mac Pro (with education, about $2800). Which do you think would be the best route for me?

My main usage: Video editing with Premiere Pro CS6 (not 4k, but still HD footage), Photoshop, Web Development.

Would I be better served keeping my laptop (i7 MBP non-retina, 7000 geekbench) and getting a Mac Pro for renders/video editing? Or is the top rMBP a good single computer compromise, and maybe I wouldn't notice the difference?

Hope you guys can help out! I can possibly step up the 6 core Mac Pro too, if that would make a huge difference, or even go used (2012 Mac Pro, etc.).

Thanks for any advice!!

2. PoppaKap macrumors regular

You have a capable laptop now (addressing any portability issues) and your main usage is video. I think you should get the Mac Pro for sure.

3. aloshka macrumors 65816

I'm in the same boat. Except I don't have a laptop. So it would be mac pro + laptop vs top of the line rMBP.

4. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

Keep your current laptop and go for a MacPro.

5. Deanster macrumors regular

This seems like a no-brainer.

The one place where laptops still really fall short these days is HD video editing/effects - you truly can't have enough speed, cooling capability, storage, etc.

Given that you already have an i7-based laptop, you'd only see an incremental improvement in your capabilities by swapping to a Retina MBP.

By contrast, adding a Mac Pro should blow the doors off your current capabilities, and you'll still have your laptop when you need decent power on the go.

I think the big challenge will be deciding which processor combo you need - it'll be interesting to see what final pricing for those looks like.

6. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

Similar to what the others suggested, go for the Mac Pro and keep your laptop. Before I was doing heavy graphic design with a Mac laptop for long hours and I was bothered by the heat build up. if you're mobile and will just do moderate work the laptop is perfect.

7. webcity macrumors member

Firstly, I am really surprised that anyone would consider a 1TB SSD from Apple. However, like others have said, if you've got the money to spend, I would definitely go for the Mac Pro.