Top of touch screen not responding

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MBHockey, Jul 5, 2008.

1. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

So my iPhone (purchased on launch day, no AppleCare) is starting to malfunction. A few days ago the lock/sleep button sort of "caved" into the top of the casing -- it sits almost flush now and it's a bit finicky about working. Today, the top of the touch screen has stopped responding. I can't select the first email in the list, first SMS, can't turn on WiFi, AirPlane mode etc.

My iPhone is a week out of warranty (6/29/07 - 6/29/08) and I'm wondering if anyone has had positive experiences with out of warranty equipment. I hope they'll give me a break since I camped in front of this Apple Store from 6 AM on launch day last year to get this phone...but i'm not expecting much.

Anyone have experience with dealing with Apple and out of warranty products?

I have tried rebooting and restoring the phone. Neither fixed the issue.

2. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

3. germ war macrumors member

Dang, really? I wonder if they'll replace mine. The touch screen is acting really finicky, and there are spots that are misregistering (for instance, I cannot type a Y in landscape mode - it registers as a T or U. If I flip the phone the other way and try and type a T, it registers as a Y or R).

Sometimes when I wake my phone it makes the sound that it woke up, but the screen doesn't light.

I'm going to take it in and hope I have the same outcome as you - I don't want to get a 3G iPhone, but I also bought on launch day and am out of warranty.

Who the hell sells you a product with a 2-year contract that only has a 1-year warranty?

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Who the hell buys a product like this and doesn't get an extended warranty? I'm not trying to be rude, but seriously...

5. TheKrillr macrumors member

Go get it replaced, you're still within the regular warranty. Take it to the iPod/iPhone genius bar and show them what's going on, they'll replace it on-the-spot.

I for one didn't get the AppleCare because I knew that a new model would be coming out before the AppleCare expired. :p

6. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Why even post? You've contributed absolutely nothing to the discussion. Good job.