Top Secret Feature in Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pbaker, Oct 14, 2007.

1. pbaker macrumors newbie

Does anyone know what Steve was talking about as hes given us a demo of Leopard at WWDC 07 but i couldn't see anything that you would class as a secret.

I seriously don't know how long i can wait for leopard i wish i could have it NOW. it looks so cool.

Im not sure weather to just upgrade over the top of tiger or completely format and do a fresh install.

Anyone have any ideas?

Phill

:apple:

2. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

The 'Top secret' features of leopard was its new desktop, new dock, new finder, although i don't think they were worthy of being called top secret, there not that amazing

3. macjack1 macrumors regular

macjack1

Hi Phill,

What I do is install a new OS on a bootable external hard drive. Then work with it until I'm sure it is stable all features work as advertised. Then, an only then, I clone it over to my main drive. EDIT: And yes, I erase my main drive before cloning.

-mj

4. pbaker thread starter macrumors newbie

Leopard Secret Features

yes im sure i will just upgrade over the top it will be easier. i thought there might be a secret feature that apple might give us hints about a weeks or days before leopard is released to keep us guessing until we get our hands on a copy.

I have seen some rumors that apple might stop the mac mini do you think this is true and what do you think might be its replacement. I have heard somethign about them working on a tablet or PDA like the apple newton maybe thats the minis replacement it might have multi-touch on it.

I dont think its worth creating another partition then cloning it over you might as just upgrade and then make sure you have your databackuped then you can restore it if it goes wrong well thats what i thought the whole idea of time-machine was. Do you know if time -machine can back up to a NAS drive.

5. saxman macrumors 6502

The "secret" features of Leopard are with the "exciting things in the pipeline for PPC" (after the Intel announcement) and the "hidden features" in the iPod 4G. Not really groundbreaking, or even specific things.

Whenever Steve or someone at Apple makes an offhand comment or a facial expression, things get repeated over and over again on these boards. It eventually becomes expected that certain things will happen even though the original intent of the statement/expression was probably not referring to a specific item, but just general showmanship. Apple prides itself on secrecy and likes the mystic nature of their heritage.

Don't be disappointed though, Leopard looks like a good operating system. It won't live up to the hype, but nothing ever does.

I will be doing a clean install of Leopard myself. I've accumulated a lot of junk and need to do some house cleaning. Otherwise, I would just do an upgrade

6. jellomizer macrumors 6502

jellomizer

The small features are the ones that Apple needs to protect. Big things like Time machine is a technically difficult code to program. But things like stacks and reflective desktops are easy to code. But the real expense was that apple spent a lot of time figuring out how it will work easy for the user. I know I wouldn't have come up with that feature myself. But after just seeing it in a Demo I could program that feature, as could many other programmers. The difficult part is figuring what the feature is and how it will work to the user. Coding it is often the minor part of the problem. Features like Time Machine are more technically challenging, meaning you can show it, and it could take months for a competitor to copy and implement the feature. The small ones that people use the most and are easy to program and quick to implement.

7. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

I'm still hoping that there will be at least a few things that show up in leopard that were kept from the public betas and from the public eye. That's just wishful thinking on my part :rolleyes:

8. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

You could always try an iSCSI initiator ;)

9. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

All I want is replacements for the scrollbars, checkboxes etc.

10. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

I call BS.

He had a whole slide with the big words 'TOP SECRET" on it, and made that joke about photocopiers. That was not an 'off-hand comment'.

There are no true secret features, but don't pretend Steve has been misinterpreted either.

11. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

+1, that would be cool, but I'm still very happy with the latest leopard build (that is, I will be happy with it once I get my grubby hands on it...)

12. macjack1 macrumors regular

macjack1

Well, an upgrade install should be fine.
    But backing up to another partition on the same drive (if that is what you meant) is a poor backup solution. When that drive fails, you have no backup.

The details of Time Machine are irrelevant, it is a backup program. Unless you backup to another disk or upload to iDisk, or somewhere else, to store your backup, it seems quite worthless.

NAS? You can connect Mac now, don't see why that would change?

-mj

13. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

I still can't understand why some people don't get this whole secret features thing. Yes, Steve said there were some secret features in Leopard, and that he wasn't going to show us yet. Then, in his next keynote he told us about the new finder, new dock and desktop etc. They are the secret features! Yes they aren't that amazing, but it's to generate hype. It's called good marketing. :rolleyes:

14. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Well some may say that to hype the things he did in such a way is bad marketing as they are hardly things to write home about and in his second presentation he didn't specifically state that these were the new secret features, hence the confusion. I personally think that Steve was trying to hide some features that later turned out to be too problematic and as such were pulled.

15. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Okay, but then he has to at least accept the consequences of an army of Mac fanatics going "Err...Steve? Where are those features, anyway?"

If he hadn't said it, no-one would have cared.

(Edit: You might just be right, actually, what with the whole ZFS incident).

16. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

At least Steve can get away with this secret features promise, but Microsoft screwed up big time promising specific features that were only touted but not delivered. Yes, it sucks if Apple wasn't able to implement what they had in mind, but we don't really know what was the case, do we? Perhaps we imagined the most part...

17. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i think we would all like some more secret features....but i don't think we'll see anything new

18. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

There is a new torrent going around that claims to be the GM...when people have finished downloading and installing this they will see if it is real, and if there are secret features :)

If it is real, we'll only have a few days or so to find out!

19. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks for the info. i didn't realize this. but i still don't think there will be anything new, or at least anything big

20. JSpence macrumors regular

JSpence

Yeah, I realized the latest GM candidate was an internal build, made me think that if it were GM 1. They wouldn't want to seed it out to everyone because then they wouldn't purchase a copy and/or 2. There are somethings in the newest Leopard that were hushed until the release.
    Bring on the Big Cat!

21. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i sure can't find the torrent that claims to be GM....i guess i don't know the places to look

22. adamzx3 macrumors regular

adamzx3

I hope the super secret feature is ZFS read/write :D

Would there be any significant differences if hypothetically leopards boot filesystem was ZFS rather than HFS+? ...maybe that will be for 10.6 lol.

23. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

My guess is that ZFS R/W will come in 10.5.3...

24. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm not sure this makes any sense... I thought that all the people who have legal seed rights to developer builds of Leopard also get the release Leopard for free anyways as part of their developer contracts. What's more the question is if they have truly been seeding release candidates of Leopard (which I don't think they generally do), or if they have been seeding developer previews that contain a subset of the release candidate.

As a for example, I don't think every widget was known to the developer community before Tiger actually dropped. There was no need to know, so Apple developed them internally and then just released them.

25. adamzx3 macrumors regular

adamzx3

I just found the thread titled "Apple Seeds ZFS Read/Write Developer Preview 1.1 for Leopard" good read :)