Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I would love to hear a logical explanation of why the iPad does not have a Calculator app included. Macs and iPhones have had one for a very long time. Weird.
Before the first iPad in 2010, Apple's development team did have an iPad calculator ready to go, but it was just a scaled-up version of the iPhone app. Steve Jobs caught wind of it and quickly nixed it, and there wasn't enough time to design an iPad-optimized calculator before the iPad hit shelves.
Now we are 14 years later to this mistake.

Last edited:

Victor Mortimer

Suspended
Apr 17, 2016
How those fine woven cases got past typical Apple quality control is perplexing.

A company like Apple tests things to destruction, literally. They have people who work out where the weak points in products are.. how many key presses (though for butterfly I guess their testing conditions didn't go far enough), how many insertion cycles ports can take, how many open and close of laptop lid etc

And they would have had people test these.. or a machine that repeats typical wear... to see how the material copes.

Maybe it just wasn't tested at all... or they thought it was acceptable.

Counterpoint: Bendgate.

I'm not convinced that they've ever done adequate testing. So much Apple stuff has a few little things wrong that end up causing major problems that should have been easy to spot before release.

Victor Mortimer

Suspended
Apr 17, 2016
A browser interface so that SiRI can answer additional questions such as located content reviews or related suggestive content. The biggest problem tvOS has is that it can't interact with the internet in the same manner as a iPhone or iPad can. Sure you can airplay content from both to the APTV4k, but the present tVOS environment treats the streaming digital receiver as a non-computing device when it could be. The discussing of improving the gaming environment is very much related.

Nothing about adding a browser requires new hardware.

Honestly, the 1st gen Apple TV was a better device - it was just a Mac inside, you could add Finder and whatever browser you wanted.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Nothing about adding a browser requires new hardware.

Honestly, the 1st gen Apple TV was a better device - it was just a Mac inside, you could add Finder and whatever browser you wanted.
Apple just sees tvOS/Apple TV as a general entertainment device, while a lot us consider it capable of a lot more things. We seen several years where Apple really didn't provide much in the way of enhancing how things work.

tvOS 17 did finally make some changes such as changing the icon grid, FaceTime, a revamped Control Center, Find My to the Siri Remote, third-party VPN support, and Apple Fitness+ improvements. Also Apple no longer seems preoccupied with becoming some all-encompassing aggregation hub for streaming entertainment with its Apple TV app.

tvOS 18 probably will go further to making this easier to live with such as screen time controls, sharePlay flexibility, AI enhancements particularly around Siri, and improved gaming usage. For AV1 hardware decoding of YouTube, it would need a M3 or A17/A18 SoC sometime in the future.

Dark_Omen

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2021
what is Apple TV missing that you would want? It's already insanely powerful for a streaming box. Voice controls ?
Apple TV has a lot more potential, but the sports networks ruin it.

ATV+ was supposed to have NFL Sunday Ticket integration, but dirtbag Goodell is a terrible commissioner, so it went to Youtube TV instead. Imagine having NFLST and then integration with widgets, notifications, and fantasy stats on all of your Apple devices. Apple was gonna include it as part of an ATV+ subscription, but Goodell felt like the product had to "look expensive," so passed on Apple's offer.

Imagine if there was tight integration with other sports platforms... MLB.TV, NHL Center Ice, and the others.

What about the ability to watch MLB.TV and NFL Sunday Ticket at the same time on split screen mode? Would be kinda cool, especially if both of my favorite teams are playing.

And....

Apple could essentially start their own TV streaming service, like what DTV and Youtube does, except be more competitive with Verizon, Comcast, and Spectrum.

1. Unlimited cloud DVR integration over iCloud. Apps for the Mac, AVP, ATV, iPad, and iPhone.
  2. 4K TV content on your favorite TV channels.
  3. Integrate sports team apps within it.
  4. Include parental control capabilities for kids.
  5. Siri Integration
  6. Apple Vision Pro integration
  7. The ability to rent movies directly from the app.
  8. The ability see and interact your iPhone notifications directly on the TV. Reminders, calendars notifications, phone calls, texts, food delivery notifications, and even Uber notifications.
  9. Include Apple TV+ in the subscription.
  10. Integrate a weather app and maps into the subscription (more useful than you think).

Tim is too stupid of a CEO and can't innovate, so the second part of my post will never happen.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007

A fan is an mis-feature in a device like the AppleTV. A kludge that you have to add if you’re using too much power and generating too much heat. But one that adds moving parts, adds costs, and potentially shortens the life of the device by allowing dust ingress and unwelcome noise when the bearings start to wear out.

Reactions: TruthAboveAllElse

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2014
Tim: This is the day I had been waiting for the last 14 years. We all thought it would be impossible but finally we reinvented calculator. And we call it the iCalk.

Reactions: fanboy05

Kulfon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2013
Why this is such a big deal (calculator on iPad) that it is made a big news?

Squirrrrel

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2024
Why this is such a big deal (calculator on iPad) that it is made a big news?
Because it’s the dumbest thing in the history of dumbest things to not have a default calculator app on the iPad. There’s no logical reason for not having it.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
I would love to hear a logical explanation of why the iPad does not have a Calculator app included. Macs and iPhones have had one for a very long time. Weird.

When something doesn't make sense, look for answers due to evil reasons. You can be sure that when Apple is developing their devices they constantly look for "product differentiation", i.e. ways to differentiate their products, often artificially, to create a demand that they instead complement each other - i.e. their way trying to make you buy all their devices.

So, in the calculator case, the public explanation they gave was that "we will only include one if we can make it stand out on the iPad". Anyone with a brain would ask "just give a simple calculator one to start with... feel free to make it better at any time". The underlying reason could be that they simply want you own an iPhone and use the calculator app there.

This pattern is evident everywhere, especially with the iPad, since it's something between a phone and a computer. How can they artifically limit these devices in terms of hardware, functionality, features, eco-system, so that you feel forced to own all 3 of them for the "best experience", at the cost of your wallet.

• Disagree

Squirrrrel

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2024
When something doesn't make sense, look for answers due to evil reasons. You can be sure that when Apple is developing their devices they constantly look for "product differentiation", i.e. ways to differentiate their products, often artificially, to create a demand that they instead complement each other - i.e. their way trying to make you buy all their devices.

So, in the calculator case, the public explanation they gave was that "we will only include one if we can make it stand out on the iPad". Anyone with a brain would ask "just give a simple calculator one to start with... feel free to make it better at any time". The underlying reason could be that they simply want you own an iPhone and use the calculator app there.

This pattern is evident everywhere, especially with the iPad, since it's something between a phone and a computer. How can they artifically limit these devices in terms of hardware, functionality, features, eco-system, so that you feel forced to own all 3 of them for the "best experience", at the cost of your wallet.
The Mac has a calculator app as well. And it’s the exact same as the iPhone app. There’s no reason for the iPad not to have one other than Apple is often insufferable about the silliest things.

elliotmoore91

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2019
Apple need to bring back the damn leather cases and sleeves. Fine woven was a noble effort but the end product sucked.

AlanMarron

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2023
How those fine woven cases got past typical Apple quality control is perplexing.

A company like Apple tests things to destruction, literally. They have people who work out where the weak points in products are.. how many key presses (though for butterfly I guess their testing conditions didn't go far enough), how many insertion cycles ports can take, how many open and close of laptop lid etc

And they would have had people test these.. or a machine that repeats typical wear... to see how the material copes.

Maybe it just wasn't tested at all... or they thought it was acceptable.
In the 1980s and ‘90s, I worked for a Japanese car manufacturer/distributor and found that real world consumers can break things that extensive testing didn’t break. We are a uniquely destructive species!

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
So just what we all want--new iPads. What happen to things like 27 inch iMacs or new Apple TV ?
I think 27" iMac ain't happening. And for the best if you ask me. Too much high quality screen being married to a not upgradeable CPU. Apple is pushing the headless Mac with a powerful mini, an even more powerful Mac Studio, and the not dead yet Mac Pro. Push is for desktops to go that route.

AndiG

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2008
Germany
After years of leading Apple to new heights, Tim Cook has decided it's time to 'let loose' and step away from his CEO role. Rumor has it, his resignation letter was written in emoji code and signed with an Animoji wink. Cheers to Tim for deciding to trade in his suits for Hawaiian shirts and embark on a new adventure of hammock naps and coconut cocktails!

nikaru

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2009
Because standard calculator app on such a huge display looks ridiculous. If it can pulled as a widget, it may look fairly decent, but on full-display mode it is look horrendous (you can run the iPhone calculator app on your iPad and check it). Apple probably designed a completely new Math app where you can solve advanced equations, use the camera to scan and calculate and other advanced functions taking advantage of the huge real estate that the iPad screen has to offer.

• Disagree
Reactions: jlnr and lkrupp

The1Biz

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2018
Wow. The next innovation will be the release of a weather app for the iPad that mimics the iPhone.

I'm looking at the potential lineup and really, I'm not impressed. It looks like I'm investing my tax refund instead this year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.