Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After last week's flurry of product launches, Apple's new iPad Pro and MacBook Air have started to make their way into consumers' hands, and we've gone hands-on with both of them this week. Apple this week also released iOS and iPadOS 13.4 (as well as macOS, watchOS, and tvOS updates) with a number of new features and improvements.

On the rumor side of things, we're starting to hear about the possibliity of a delayed launch of the iPhone 12 later this year, some details on Apple's iPhone camera plans, new Apple TV hardware and software rumors, and an update on Apple's rumored Mac transition from Intel to Arm-based chips. Finally, we shared a look at some prototype hardware and software related to Apple's AR/VR headset project.

Read on for all of the details, and check out our video above for even more from this week's news cycle.

Hands-On With the New iPad Pro and MacBook Air

Apple last week announced new 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models, and as of this week, orders are beginning to arrive to customers. We picked up one of the new 12.9-inch models and checked it out to see just what's new and whether it's worth buying.

ipadprobox.jpg

The new iPad Pro features an A12Z Bionic chip with faster graphics performance, an Ultra Wide camera for 0.5x zoom, a LiDAR Scanner for enhanced augmented reality, better sounding microphones, and compatibility with Apple's upcoming Magic Keyboard with a built-in trackpad. Pricing continues to start at $799 for the 11-inch model with 128GB of storage, while the 12.9-inch model begins at $999.

Keep in mind that rumors suggest that Apple may be planning another iPad Pro refresh towards the end of 2020, with expected features including a faster A14X chip, 5G support, and a Mini-LED display.

We also spent some time going hands-on with the new MacBook Air, which features a lower starting price, more storage, faster 10th-generation processors, and most importantly an updated keyboard.

iOS and iPadOS 13.4 Released With iCloud Folder Sharing, Trackpad Support for iPad, and More

Apple this week released iOS 13.4 and iPadOS 13.4 with several new features, including iCloud Folder Sharing, a redesigned Mail app toolbar, and support for Bluetooth mice and trackpads on many iPads.

Apple will be releasing its own Magic Keyboard case with a built-in trackpad in May for 2018 and later iPad Pro models, and we have put together a guide with everything you need to know. Third-party options like Logitech's new trackpad keyboards for the 10.5-inch iPad Air and 10.2-inch iPad are also supported.

Apple Considering Delaying iPhone 12 Launch 'by Months'

Apple has reportedly held internal discussions about the possibility of delaying the release of new iPhone 12 models "by months" due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Supply chain sources also believe that "practical hurdles" could push back what was expected to be a normal September launch, although other suppliers say they have not been asked to push back production.

fouriphones2020.jpg

Apple is widely rumored to be planning four new iPhone models, including a 5.4-inch model, two 6.1-inch models, and a 6.7-inch model. All of the devices are expected to have OLED displays, 5G support, A14 chips, and rear 3D sensing like the LiDAR Scanner on the new iPad Pro.

6.7" iPhone 12 May Have Sensor-Shift Stabilization in 2020, Periscope Lens to Follow in 2022

Apple's rumored 6.7-inch iPhone 12 model will feature sensor-shift image stabilization, according to reputable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

iphone-11-pro-ultra-wide.jpg

While details are slim, sensor-shift technology could bring optical image stabilization to the Ultra Wide lens on the 6.7-inch iPhone, as already exists for the Wide and Telephoto lenses on iPhone 11 Pro models.

Kuo also predicted that at least one 2022 iPhone model will feature a periscope lens, which could allow for 5x optical zoom like Huawei's P30 Pro or even 10x optical zoom as is rumored for the device's P40 Pro successor.

Apple Testing AR/VR Headset With HTC Vive-Like Controller, Crosswalk Bowling Game, and More

MacRumors has obtained a photo from iOS 14 of what appears to be a generic looking test controller for Apple's rumored AR/VR headset, which reports suggest will be released by 2021 or 2022. The controller has a very similar design as the controller for the HTC Vive Focus headset, released in 2018.

apple-ar-feature-image.jpg

Apple is testing a variety of augmented reality experiences on its headset, including a "crosswalk bowling game" that appears to allow Apple engineers to roll a virtual bowling ball across the crosswalk to knock down virtual bowling pins on the other side of the street.

Apple is also rumored to be working on a pair of sleeker AR glasses that could be released as early as 2022 or 2023.

Apple to Launch Several Macs With Arm-Based Processors in 2021, USB4 Support Coming to Macs in 2022

Apple plans to launch several Mac notebooks and desktop computers with its own custom designed Arm-based processors in 2021, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said this week in a research note obtained by MacRumors.

macbook-pro-13-inch.jpg

Kuo believes that Arm-based processors will significantly enhance the competitive advantage of the Mac lineup, allow Apple to refresh its Mac models without relying on Intel's processor roadmap, reduce processor costs by 40 to 60 percent, and provide Macs with more hardware differentiation from Windows PCs.

Apple Allegedly Adding Kids Mode and Screen Time to tvOS, Launching Apple TV With Up to 128GB Storage

Apple is reportedly planning to launch a new Apple TV and add new features like Kids Mode and Screen Time options to a future version of tvOS.

apple-tv-4.jpg

The new ?Apple TV? is said to feature an A11 or A12 processor and 64/128GB storage capacities, up from the current 32/64GB options.

The source of the report has shared some previously accurate tvOS rumors, including a picture-in-picture feature and multiple user support, but it has been wrong about some other Apple rumors.

MacRumors Newsletter

Each week, we publish an email newsletter like this highlighting the top Apple stories, making it a great way to get a bite-sized recap of the week hitting all of the major topics we've covered and tying together related stories for a big-picture view.

So if you want to have top stories like the above recap delivered to your email inbox each week, subscribe to our newsletter!

Article Link: Top Stories: Hands-On With 2020 iPad Pro and MacBook Air, iOS and iPadOS 13.4 Released, iPhone 12 Delay?

Last edited:

Cristim74

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2016
Bucharest, Romania
I've been wanting to play around with Final Cut Pro X and Logic Pro X for a while, but could not justify paying for them. Now it's the perfect time to start learning them for free for three months! I've just installed both and will look for tutorials.

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Suspended
Jul 30, 2015
DC / Baltimore / Northeast
I don't think Arm processors will be that much cheaper, faster, more Windows compatible or offer any significant advantage and Apple Macs in general will still not be cheaper than PCs. Intel will always have a better economy of scale. It's just another PowerPC debacle where everyone has to re-buy all their software, and where MacOS will quickly be discontinued for Intel, damaging corporate buying. I really fail to see any significant advantage and once again, Tim Cook is no Steve Jobs. He'll have no Reality Distortion field working on his or Apple's side this go-round. Having gone through this before going back to 68k series Macs, I see this as just another Mongolian CF that screws the end consumer.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Apple will be releasing its own Magic Keyboard case with a built-in trackpad in May for 2018 and later iPad Pro models, and we have put together a guide with everything you need to know. Third-party options like Logitech's new trackpad keyboards for the 10.5-inch iPad Air and 10.2-inch iPad are also supported.

It's also useful to note that Apple has released the iPad User Guide for iPadOS 13.4. There's a good section on the new trackpad/mouse gestures. This guide is almost 1000 pages long with this version of the OS!

Freeangel1

Suspended
Jan 13, 2020
I'm buying an iPhone 11 Pro I don't need 5g in a phone. have 5g already on my iPhone 8 Plus as a hotspot connection to my iMac. I need 5g for my desktop Mac. but never need fast download in my phone alone . You can get a refurbed iPhone XS Max 512GB now for only $650. SWEET price point.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I'm buying an iPhone 11 Pro I don't need 5g in a phone. have 5g already on my iPhone 8 Plus as a hotspot connection to my iMac. I need 5g for my desktop Mac. but never need fast download in my phone alone . You can get a refurbed iPhone XS Max 512GB now for only $650. SWEET price point.
I don't think I'd even buy an iPhone 11 Pro Max refurb right now. My X has lasted 2.5 years, it can make it to the fall for the 12. Undoubtedly Timmy and co. will find a way to underwhelm us again this year, but one can hope that the 12 will actually give reason to upgrade after the failure of the 11 lineup.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Hope they release a new remote, current one is awful.
There are two solutions to the remote:

1. Use the Remote app on your phone. Let's you type too.
2. Get a silicone colored case for the remote which helps ID top v bottom, and makes it thicker so it doesn't fall through cracks in couch, easier to grip, and comes in colors makes it easier to spot. Add the remote loop and that also makes it easier to ID top v bottom. I got a case (different color for each of my units) and a loop for each. Everybody loves that solution. About $7 for the case and $8-12 for the loop.

My Apple TV remote is the only remote we need (or phone) as it turns it on and off, as well as the TV, controls the sound system volume, and since we cut the cord, there is no cable/satellite box. One remote. That's it. Super simple. Well actually 4 remotes, since I have 4 TVs, each with an Apple TV and the necessary apps.

Chicagoblah

macrumors member
May 19, 2017
There are two solutions to the remote:

1. Use the Remote app on your phone. Let's you type too.
2. Get a silicone colored case for the remote which helps ID top v bottom, and makes it thicker so it doesn't fall through cracks in couch, easier to grip, and comes in colors makes it easier to spot. Add the remote loop and that also makes it easier to ID top v bottom. I got a case (different color for each of my units) and a loop for each. Everybody loves that solution. About $7 for the case and $8-12 for the loop.

My Apple TV remote is the only remote we need (or phone) as it turns it on and off, as well as the TV, controls the sound system volume, and since we cut the cord, there is no cable/satellite box. One remote. That's it. Super simple. Well actually 4 remotes, since I have 4 TVs, each with an Apple TV and the necessary apps.

I do use my phone more often then not, but can’t tell you how many times an accidental tap of the wrong button will wreak havoc. It’s not ideal since you have to look directly at it to know what you are doing. The physical remote as it is today is too small. They could make it slightly larger, illuminated and how about a mute button. They should differentiate the button shapes.

I actually would prefer something similar to the LG magic remote it works quite well and great for operating without looking.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.

Just FYI - It's not actual real 5G, no matter how the hell AT&T tries to spin it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.