Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following last week's hardware announcements, this week saw the actual release of several of the new products as well as operating system updates bringing new features and bug fixes across Apple's platforms.

top-stories-28jan2023.jpg

This week also saw some fresh rumors about the iPhone 15 lineup and Apple's upcoming AR/VR headset, while we shared some tips to help you get the most of your macOS experience, so read for all the details on these stories and more!

Everything New in iOS 16.3 for Your iPhone

iOS 16.3 was released to the public this week following around six weeks of beta testing. The software update is relatively minor, but there are still a handful of new features and changes for the iPhone, so make sure to check out our list of everything new in iOS 16.3.

ios-16-3-thumb.jpg

Apple also released iPadOS 16.3, macOS 13.2, watchOS 9.3, tvOS 16.3, and HomePod software version 16.3 this week with new features across the iPad, Mac, Apple Watch, Apple TV, and HomePod.

iPhone 15 Pro Rumored to Feature Ultra-Thin Curved Bezels

Apple's next-generation iPhone 15 Pro models will feature ultra-thin curved bezels around the display, according to the leaker known as ShrimpApplePro.

iPhone-15-Pro-Blue-Feature.jpg

The thinner bezels are said to be similar to those on the Apple Watch Series 7 and Series 8. The display glass itself and the rumored titanium frame are both expected to remain flat on the iPhone 15 Pro.

Multiple reports this week also indicated that iPhone 15 models will support faster Wi-Fi 6E, but it will apparently be limited to the Pro models.

Some New MacBook Pro and Mac Mini Models Have Slower SSD Speeds Than Previous Models

While the new Mac mini with the M2 chip has a lower $599 starting price, the base model with 256GB of storage has slower SSD read and write speeds compared to the equivalent previous-generation model. The same is true for the new 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models with 512GB of storage.

M2-MacBook-Pro-and-Mini-Feature.jpg

The issue results from some new Mac configurations having fewer NAND storage chips than previous models.

10 macOS Tips to Boost Your Productivity

When it comes to working on your Mac, there are so many handy time-saving tricks hidden away in macOS that there's a good chance you're missing at least one or two. Here are 10 quick tips, any of which could be key to turbo-charging your productivity.

10-Productivity-Tips-Feature.jpg

The list assumes you're using a Mac running the latest macOS Ventura software, but most of these tips also work in earlier versions of the operating system.

Apple's Mixed Reality Headset to Feature iOS-Like Interface, Advanced Hand Tracking, and More

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman this week shared a detailed article explaining how Apple's long-rumored AR/VR headset will function.

apple-mixed-reality-headset-mockup-feature-orange.jpg

Gurman said key features of Apple's headset will include advanced hand and eye tracking, an iOS-like software interface with a grid of apps, a Digital Crown-like control knob, and more. He also said the headset will be able to serve as an external display for a Mac.

A separate report from The Information's Wayne Ma claims users will be able to create AR apps for the device simply by using Siri with no coding knowledge required.

Apple Adjusts Trade-In Values for iPhones, Macs, and More

After announcing new Mac and HomePod models last week, Apple adjusted its trade-in values for select devices, including the iPhone, Mac, Apple Watch, and Android smartphones. iPad trade-in values were not changed this time around.

iPhone-trade-in-16x9.jpg

Notably, iPhone trade-in values decreased by up to $80. Check out our comparison of Apple's new and old trade-in values to see what your device is worth today.

MacRumors Newsletter

Each week, we publish an email newsletter like this highlighting the top Apple stories, making it a great way to get a bite-sized recap of the week hitting all of the major topics we've covered and tying together related stories for a big-picture view.

So if you want to have top stories like the above recap delivered to your email inbox each week, subscribe to our newsletter!

Article Link: Top Stories: iOS 16.3 Released, iPhone 15 Pro Rumors, macOS Tips and Tricks, and More

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Still sporting my XS Max. I thought I'd try to use the Max without the case as the case is a little long in the tooth. As soon as I removed the case, nearly dropped it. Still slippery as all get go. Hope the iphone 15 isn't slippery.

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
I purchased the iPhone X and was planning on holding onto it until AT&T got its 5G network built out and started offering the iPhone 12 Pro for just a few bucks a month if you signed up for an installment plan and agreed to bill credits every month for 36 months to cover the vast majority of the cost of the device.

The iPhone 12 will be paid off and the bill credits will stop in March. The question now becomes will I hang onto the iPhone 12 Pro and switch carriers to T-Mobile to enjoy the much improved 5G coverage and the savings you get over AT&T or stick with AT&T and take the same deal to get an iPhone 15 Pro when that’s released.

In a perfect world T-Mobile would have a similar plan that includes a new device plus the cost savings you get from switching. If that meant signing on for 24-36 months for bill credits I’d be willing to do it since I’ll have plenty of time to rest the network when the iPhone 12 is both SIM and eSIM unlocked by AT&T in March.

vegetassj4

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2014
iPhone 15 Pro rumors? You don't say. Heck, I wish I never upgraded from the X to the 12 pro (didn't really bring any benefit for me, though with the better camera et al I can se why others are happy). Apple will either have to bring the noise, or force me into obsoletion before I upgrade now.

Now get off my lawn.

DeLaSoul

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2022
I heard a rumour that the new Mac Pro will be round shaped, and modular, resembling Apple's new HQ, with 1/4 of circles that you can attach to form full circles: base units, CPUs, GPUs, memory, storage, and the bus will be open so third party vendors can build modules too. You can stack multiple floors.

Realityck

macrumors G3
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
While the new Mac mini with the M2 chip has a lower $599 starting price, the base model with 256GB of storage has slower SSD read and write speeds compared to the equivalent previous-generation model. The same is true for the new 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models with 512GB of storage. The issue results from some new Mac configurations having fewer NAND storage chips than previous models.
While we understand the cost reasons, the decision to have fewer NAND storage chips is bizarre? Just use 2 smaller NAND storage capacity instead of one larger NAND storage chip. This was easily preventable.

repoman016

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
Ohio
Still sporting my XS Max. I thought I'd try to use the Max without the case as the case is a little long in the tooth. As soon as I removed the case, nearly dropped it. Still slippery as all get go. Hope the iphone 15 isn't slippery.
XS max was still a rounded bezel. They went with the squared (like iphone 5s) one starting on the 12. I find the squared bezel to be less slippery

Reactions: iamaydo and I7guy

ralpa

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2015
if an iPhone 15 pro was left in a bar today, it won't be big news anymore. you know what I mean Tim Apple?

• Love
Reactions: Amon Ra

Digital Dude

macrumors 65816
Well, so far 16.3 didn’t do jack to improve the reliability of my nine HomePods. At this point, I pretty much given up on these darn things, and will eventually add more google speakers to my existing three Nest Home hubs. Ironically, my HomePods did sorta dance well together about a year ago but I can’t remember what step-version of iOS that actually worked. 🫤

Last edited:

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
I was hoping we might get another Mac Productivity post this last week. I enjoyed reading the original one and there is still so much I don't know about this computer that I should learn. I think it would be great if MacRumors picked a subject each Friday and did a tips article about it. This last week I've been trying to learn about Notes and moving over to OneNote because I'm trying not to use Icloud (Don't want to pay for it).

appleph

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2019
1. I like the rumor about the thinner bezel.
2. If they can also push that cutout higher that would be lovely. (Oh was that called a notch? Yeah I think the 14 is a step backwards when they detached that notch)
3. I wish they will have features that people will actually use. Not those nice to haves like the crash detection, satellite, etc.

adib

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
Singapore
iPhone 15 Pro rumors? You don't say. Heck, I wish I never upgraded from the X to the 12 pro (didn't really bring any benefit for me, though with the better camera et al I can se why others are happy). Apple will either have to bring the noise, or force me into obsoletion before I upgrade now.

Now get off my lawn.
iPhone 7 has stopped receiving OS updates. Therefore iPhone 8 and X are likely the next ones to be left behind by iOS 17.

segfaultdotorg

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2007
Glad to hear that Apple is completely revamping the Mail app in the next MacOS by licensing and porting Outlook Express (the original Windows 98 version, not the inferior Windows XP version). This is going to be awesome!

fixmdude

macrumors member
May 8, 2009
Still on 12 pro max, my first time ever holding a phone beyond 2 years. But when you get the best top of the line version of the year, it's like a regular version a year or two later, so not all that surprising. The only thing I feel that I'm missing and wish I had was foldable. Even with the max, it's hard to read fine print because too many apps don't support the accessibility settings of enlarging the fonts on the phone. I could use a larger screen but a smaller pocket print.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.