Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Happy New Year 2022! With calendars turning over to the new year, it's a great opportunity to look ahead at expectations for 2022 and there has been no shortage of rumors on that front already.

top-stories-jan-8.jpeg

This week saw rumors about the iPhone 14 Pro, AirPods Pro 2, the next iPhone SE, and more, while we wrapped up 2021 and kicked off 2022 with the first two episodes of our new podcast, The MacRumors Show, so read on below for all of the details!

iPhone 14 Pro Rumored to Feature Pill-Shaped Camera Cutout With Face ID Under the Display

We've been hearing rumors for a while now that iPhone 14 Pro models won't have a notch, and this week, a leaker known as @dylandkt claimed that Face ID hardware will be moved under the display as a result.

iPhone-14-Mock-Pill.jpg

Instead of a notch, the leaker claimed that iPhone 14 Pro models will feature a pill-shaped camera cutout at the top of the display, rather than a circular hole-punch cutout that was originally rumored. The above image is a mockup of what this new design could look like.

The MacRumors Show: Mark Gurman Talks Through Everything Apple is Expected to Announce in 2022

Bloomberg reporter Mark Gurman joined us this week on The MacRumors Show podcast to discuss everything we're expecting from Apple in 2022, providing insights into many upcoming announcements.

MR-Show-2-16x9-Featurejpg.jpg

Gurman also shared his expectations for Apple in 2022 in the latest edition of his "Power On" newsletter, including iPhone 14 Pro models without a notch, a redesigned MacBook Air with an M2 chip, a new iPad Pro with wireless charging, an AR/VR headset barring any further delays, and more.

Apple Testing Multiple Foldable iPhone Prototypes, But Has Some Concerns

Another rumor from leaker @dylandkt this week claimed that Apple is testing multiple foldable iPhone prototypes, but he said that Apple has concerns over the quality of foldable display technology and whether there is a long-term market for foldable smartphones.

Foldable-iPhone-2023-Feature-Blue.jpg

Last year, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said Apple planned to release a foldable iPhone with an 8-inch flexible OLED display as early as 2023, but 2024 is also a possibility.

2022 iPhone SE to Feature 5G, Major Update Coming in 2024

Apple is widely expected to release a third-generation iPhone SE in the first quarter of 2022. The device is expected to have the same external design as the current iPhone SE, with key new features being 5G support and a faster A15 chip.

iPhone-SE-Cosmopolitan-Clean.png

According to leaker @dylandkt, Apple is planning a bigger update to the iPhone SE for 2024, with the device to have a similar design as the iPhone XR and iPhone 11.

Kuo: AirPods Pro 2 to Feature Lossless Support and Sound-Emitting Charging Case

Apple plans to release second-generation AirPods Pro in the fourth quarter of 2022, with upgrades including a new design, lossless audio support, and a charging case that can emit a sound in the event it is misplaced, according to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

AirPods-Pro-Gen-3-Mock-Feature-Red.jpg

Like the third-generation AirPods released in October, it is also likely that the next AirPods Pro will have improved battery life and a water-resistant charging case.

Intel Says New Core i9 Processor for Laptops is Faster Than Apple's M1 Max Chip

Intel this week unveiled new 12th-generation Core processors for laptops, and as part of the announcement, it claimed that the new Core i9 is not only faster than Apple's M1 Max chip in the 16-inch MacBook Pro, but is the fastest mobile processor ever.

intel-core-12th-generation-mobile.jpg

Of course, we'll have to wait to see how the 12th-generation Core processors perform in real-world testing for a true comparison with the M1 Max chip.

MacRumors Newsletter

Each week, we publish an email newsletter like this highlighting the top Apple stories, making it a great way to get a bite-sized recap of the week hitting all of the major topics we've covered and tying together related stories for a big-picture view.

So if you want to have top stories like the above recap delivered to your email inbox each week, subscribe to our newsletter!

Article Link: Top Stories: iPhone 14 Pro Without Notch, AirPods Pro 2, and More for 2022

Last edited:

Bkdodger

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2019
I'm cool with either one. Samsung did have the pill on previous phone as well. Anything to make this real estate larger on the phone?

Blackwell

macrumors member
May 10, 2012
Northern California
Face ID means I get to pick the phone up (/s) instead of just touching it quickly to see what is going on...

I'll get a Mac Mini instantly if it gives me touch ID. Works great on my new MacBook. Probably get one anyway 'cause I want to use a third party monitor/projector.

Had to use a chrome book to get HDMI for my classroom lessons. Mac Mini is currently, what, 4 years in the tooth.

Love my new $2,000 MacBook.

Realityck

macrumors 603
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Foldable phones for Apple present a problem, you can’t magically decrease the mass of the device by folding it. iPhones run iOS which doesn’t offer multitasking like iPadOS, so to what benefit does a tablet size screen on a iPhone mean really? It been suggested many times that Apple offer small iPads that you can make cell calls but they have purposefully avoided that, always maintaining iPhones and iPads separately, so how can they really offer foldable phones? :)

Last edited:

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Intel this week unveiled new 12th-generation Core processors for laptops, and as part of the announcement, it claimed that the new Core i9 is not only faster than Apple's M1 Max chip in the 16-inch MacBook Pro, but is the fastest mobile processor ever.

It could be faster, Apple are not the only companies who can produce upgrades. The real question is how much power is required to beat the M1 Max, especially since it's a mobile processor. If it takes a battery that's twice as big, it means a heavier laptop because of the bigger battery and a better cooling system. It probably means laptops that can't be as thin as a MacBook Pro. Sure there are limits to how thin a laptop should get, but on the other hand I think nobody wants to go back to 2000's-era laptop thickness.

Also, what's the point of targeting Apple's M-series processors as a comparison point? Are they afraid to compare it to AMD's products? Most Macs users are know are not using a Mac for the hardware, they're using Macs because of the OS and the software available for it. As usual, Intel's marketing department is barking up the wrong tree. Now that Apple are in control of the processors that goes into all their hardware, I don't see them ever going back to Intel.

PinkyMacGodess

macrumors G3
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I sure hope the new AirPod Pro 2's look better than those mock-ups. But with the Beats Studios and Beats Fits, I haven't touched my AirPod Pros in months.

That Intel thing looks almost like a 'slot one' Pentium 2/3 cartridge. Remember those? And they did Xeon MASSIVE cartridges too. I won a matched pair at an Intel conference. (No one wanted to buy them, and the motherboards for them were very pricey) *sigh*

samwight

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008
Well, since they're coming out after the M1 Max, the new i9s should be faster.

But since Apple could have only got these new i9s in the *next* iteration of the MacBooks, the question is: are they faster than Apple's *next* iteration of the M* chip? I'd bet against.

samwight

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008
My iPhone is too big in my pocket now, so I don't want something bigger that folds down to the same size, only fatter.

I would like something that opens to the current phone size but folds down to half the size (only fatter).

But not at the expense of additional weight, or reduced performance or longevity. My guess it's still years away.

Populus

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Of course Intel will hope to reach M1 power, but how will it do with thermal issues, and Apple is already developing M2 so is this even a threat.

Looking forward to the new AirPod Pros for sure.
I feel like the real challenger here will be the M3, as they move towards 3nm. I don’t expect a big jump with M2 lineup to be honest.

Reactions: Sciomar

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I’m glad that Apple has companies making claims that they make laptops faster than the M1, it means that Apple is doing something right. I am very excited to see what Apple has in store for 2022. And I think the Apple Silicon Mac Pro is going to be a killer machine.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My iPhone is too big in my pocket now, so I don't want something bigger that folds down to the same size, only fatter.

I would like something that opens to the current phone size but folds down to half the size (only fatter).

But not at the expense of additional weight, or reduced performance or longevity. My guess it's still years away.
There’s no rush for a product like this. I do think it creates diversity if we see a folding display, but smart phones are already generally expensive as it is, and folding displays would only carry even a higher price tag. When Apple perfects the technology/structure, that’s when they release the product. They never need to be the first, it’s about the execution of the product when it’s ready to release. They are the one company that’s not afraid to delay a next-Gen product as long as it needs to, until it’s ready.

Denzo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2009
Australia
Looking forward to iPhone 14 this year with the supposed redesign.
Pretty sure it's going to be identical with a very minor change at the camera area, and better cameras. Hardly 10 month edge of your seat worthy let alone all that money to upgrade from a 12/13 pro.

if we are talking about legitimate upgrades though, Can't wait for an apple folďable, will get that for sure.

Populus

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I think the big changes in regards of power and cameras will come with the iPhone 15 (or 14S), the 2023 iPhone. Jumping to 3nm processor and a 48MP camera, with possibly periscope lenses, will be a huge jump forward.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.