Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaehaerys48

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2023
Having owned both a 5S and a XS (my current phone) I can say that the latter phone is quite clearly better than the former in just about every way. I suspect that the vast majority of consumers would agree.

I guess I missed the magic 6S or something. Must have been made out of pure gold.

flofixer

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2016
California
Are you…are you suggesting we should be using RS-232 for everything so as to avoid waste?

Cat 7 is only for very high speed short runs. Cat 5e is still very, very common and has been for what 20 years or more?

Those Apple 5 watt power cubes are still around. I still have some. But 5 watts isn’t nearly enough anymore even for an Apple Watch.

The technology industry is still relatively young. Progress marches on. I believe you can give your old stuff to Apple for recycling if it bothers you. But there’s not much business incentive for them to offer a cable replacement program or something.

For more than a decade, USB was the main way to use a printer and they never included cables. TVs generally don’t include HDMI cables. You’re lucky if you even get a cable with a monitor that has multiple input types. It’s just an industry standard at this point.

And I seriously doubt the rumor that they are going to severely limit non MFi USB-C cables. Apple has been selling those and providing them with their laptops for a long time.
I still use the 5 watt power cube to charge my iPhone quite frequently. As long as you are not in a hurry it works fine. It's way more than enough to charge my Apple watch, that's for sure.

RandomTox

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2007
MacRumors has ads all over the place and after each article. Impossible to follow content. What's going on?

StrollerEd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011
Scotland
Still impressed with my 14 pro max (from the 12 pro) and will wait to see what the 16 pro offers.
Other than the extra size/weight, what for you are the biggest +vs about the 14Pro over the 12Pro? I'm starting to get an itch.

(I've 38/128 and battery health @ 86%; it's fully paid off but I'm still paying AppleCare+)

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
Other than the extra size/weight, what for you are the biggest +vs about the 14Pro over the 12Pro? I'm starting to get an itch.

(I've 38/128 and battery health @ 86%; it's fully paid off but I'm still paying AppleCare+)
More screen real estate / DI vs. notch (one of the biggest factors plus the DI is useful for me), better camera (not by a whole lot but I did notice improvements here and there), and battery (my 12 pro was at 88%, which is not bad but did not have AC). Going from pro to pro max battery life is significant. I don't own an apple watch or iPad so it gets used a lot and I wanted the biggest / best for mobile.

I also was able to sell my 12 pro (256 gb) for $500 on Swappa and I got $400 towards the 14 pro max through my provider (xfinity) so to me it was a no brainer. I usually upgrade every 2-3 years and I felt this was a good move.

For you, tough to say with these rumors getting more frequent because I would say wait it out. If you aren't happy with what 15's offer you could scoop the 14 for a discount.

edit: forgot to quote user.

Reactions: StrollerEd

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I still use the 5 watt power cube to charge my iPhone quite frequently. As long as you are not in a hurry it works fine. It's way more than enough to charge my Apple watch, that's for sure.

Overnight, sure. But we have better options. 5W is a relic of a bygone era. And I used Apple Watch as a very low end example. You must not wear yours overnight. I like putting mine on a fast charger for a half hour when I get up and maybe half an hour before bed once a week or so.

flofixer

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2016
California
Overnight, sure. But we have better options. 5W is a relic of a bygone era. And I used Apple Watch as a very low end example. You must not wear yours overnight. I like putting mine on a fast charger for a half hour when I get up and maybe half an hour before bed once a week or so.
I actually do wear my Apple Watch most nights, I like to see how low my heart rate goes when I'm asleep. Also using the lower powered 5w charger may have benefits for the longevity of the iPhone battery. Not huge but some benefit.

SpaceCrystal

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2021
Excepting for all of the drawers now full of obsoleted Apple Lightning cables. Will they also migrate into the landfills just like the untold numbers of USB-A, Firewire 400 & 800, Display port, Apple ADB, parallel, RS-232, Micro usb etc cables residing there now? We are now at CAT 7 ethernet cables. What happened to all of the prior generations of ethernet cables? Were did all of the Apple 5 watt power cubes, Firewire 400 & 800 power cubes and other obsoleted wall warts go? Where did all of the "plastic cased" Apple computers end up? Since 1984 there have been lots of those made.

Apple milked Lightning as hard and as long as they could. Now it will be proprietary USB cables requiring their power bricks.

Now the eco friendly solution might be send in the Lightning cables and they will be replaced with USB-C cables. Same with the wall warts. Chance of that happening ranges from slim to none.
I’m personally glad that I’ve waited for the switch from Lightning to USB-C before upgrading to a iPhone*, as the latter is standard nowadays while Lightning is outdated.

*I’m going from Samsung Galaxy S8 to iPhone 15 Pro Max/Ultra.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.