Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After a few weeks of controversy over potential overheating in the new iPhone 15 Pro models, Apple this week released a software update to help address the issue, which the company says is not the result of the new titanium casing or other thermal design problems.

top-stories-7oct2023.jpg

Apple is also continuing work on the next round of more significant software updates led by iOS 17.1, and we're keeping tabs on everything that's new. Notably, the latest watchOS 10.1 beta enables the Double Tap feature that was one of the main promotional selling points of the latest Apple Watch Series 9 and Apple Watch Ultra 2 models, so read on for all the details on these stories and more!

Apple Releases iOS 17.0.3 With Fix for iPhone 15 Pro Overheating

Apple this week released iOS 17.0.3 with a fix for an issue that may cause the iPhone 15 Pro models to run warmer than expected. The software update also includes several enterprise-related bug fixes and important security updates, according to Apple.

iOS-17.0.3-Feature.jpg

Apple said the iPhone 15 Pro's titanium frame was not a contributing factor to the overheating, and it said the software update does not lower the A17 Pro chip's performance to address the issue.

iOS 17.1 Beta: All the New Features So Far

Apple this week made the second beta of iOS 17.1 available to developers and public beta testers, and there are some new features as usual.

iOS-17.1-On-iPhone-15-Feature-2.jpg

We've put together a list of all of the new features and changes introduced in the iOS 17.1 betas so far. The software update is expected to be released later this month for the iPhone XS and newer, so there are likely still a few more beta versions to come.

Warning: BMW Wireless Charging May Break iPhone 15's Apple Pay Chip

If you have an iPhone 15 and drive a BMW, it might be best to avoid charging the device with the vehicle's wireless charging pad for now.

BMW-Logo-iPhone-15-Pro.jpg

Over the past few weeks, some BMW owners have complained that their iPhone 15's NFC chip no longer works after charging the device with their vehicle's wireless charging pad. It's unclear if the issue has been resolved with iOS 17.0.3 or the iOS 17.1 beta.

watchOS 10.1 Beta 2 Adds Support for Double Tap

The new Double Tap gesture for the Apple Watch Series 9 and Apple Watch Ultra 2 is functional starting with the second beta of watchOS 10.1.

apple-watch-ultra-double-tap-feature-green.jpg

Double Tap lets you tap your index finger and thumb together twice to perform common actions on the Apple Watch, such as stopping a timer, playing and pausing music, snoozing an alarm, answering and ending a phone call, and more, all without touching the screen.

Original Apple Watch is Now Obsolete, Including $17,000 Gold Model

All first-generation Apple Watch models released in 2015 have now been declared obsolete by Apple, meaning they are no longer eligible for repairs or other service at Apple Stores and Apple Authorized Service Provider locations.

Apple-Watch-Edition-Gold-2015-Feature.jpg

This includes the original 18-karat gold Apple Watch Edition model which sold for up to $17,000 at launch. The solid-gold Apple Watch option was discontinued in 2016 and replaced with more reasonably priced but still premium-priced Apple Watch Edition models made with cermamic or titanium for future years.

How to Get the Most Out of the iPhone 15 Pro's Action Button

On our YouTube channel, we recently shared a video highlighting some useful ways to take advantage of the customizable Action button on the iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max.

Best-Shortcuts-You-Need-to-Try-Thumb-2.jpg

For example, Federico Viticci of MacStories came up with a way for two separate shortcuts to be assigned to the Action button. He calls this solution MultiButton, and we provide a closer look at it in our video.

MacRumors Newsletter

Each week, we publish an email newsletter like this highlighting the top Apple stories, making it a great way to get a bite-sized recap of the week hitting all of the major topics we've covered and tying together related stories for a big-picture view.

So if you want to have top stories like the above recap delivered to your email inbox each week, subscribe to our newsletter!

Article Link: Top Stories: iPhone 15 Pro Overheating Fix, Apple Watch Double Tap, and More

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

randomthoughts

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2020
Double Tap sounded cool. One of the reasons why I got an Ultra 2. Hopefully the algorithm continues to get refined. Tried the feature out in watchOS 17.1 beta 2 and it seems to pick up other hand movements as an index-thumb double tap. Had to disable the feature because it kept bringing up Smart Stack unintentionally.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Double Tap sounded cool. One of the reasons why I got an Ultra 2. Hopefully the algorithm continues to get refined. Tried the feature out in watchOS 17.1 beta 2 and it seems to pick up other hand movements as an index-thumb double tap. Had to disable the feature because it kept bringing up Smart Stack unintentionally.
I am just waiting to buy a Series 9 just for the double tap feature. Seriously! Waiting for it to get out of beta and get reviews on how well it works before purchasing. I already have a series 8 SS but just want this feature so bad. Call me a kook! Double tap along with multiple named timers is all I want this extra watch for.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

Fortunately, I don't have this issue. Double tap only enables when I purposely want it to.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
WOW! Windows 12 will be subscription based. I KNEW IT WAS COMING!

I BET APPLE MACOS WILL ALSO FOLLOW IN APPLE SILICON ONLY VERSIONS

Not a chance. Thats MS's style of charging for everything not Apple's. :p

mdatwood

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
I am just waiting to buy a Series 9 just for the double tap feature. Seriously! Waiting for it to get out of beta and get reviews on how well it works before purchasing. I already have a series 8 SS but just want this feature so bad. Call me a kook! Double tap along with multiple named timers is all I want this extra watch for.
I have double tap enabled on my S8. Works well. I wish had enabled it so much sooner.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Its really amazing how powerful the A series processors are now... I remember when A9 came out and, if I recall correctly, this was the moment Apple started highlighting how powerful these were compared to laptop processors. We are now on A17 and we have hardware ray tracing support and massive neural processor power.

Amazing what we are carrying around in our pockets.. and how far ahead Apple is using the ARM architecture.

Question so I have series 7 for a year or so now and saw in settings/features about gesture control something…is that what you’re referring to and if so how’s it any different from the series 9 exclusive I thought tap features??

Finally held iPhone 15 in hand at Apple Store. Nice weight you can feel that difference. Would def make voice memo the function for the action button for all my singing and what not lol

Ummm forgot to try camera zoom but seems legit based on some online articles I’ve perused . More than happy with my 14 pro max so I’ll hold out until series 18/19 lol

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

azdusty

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009
On 17.0.3 our exchange email and calendar integration is still not working. On the iPad it does, but not the iPhone. It’s not just me. Our very large Fortune 500 company is having the issue with all users on the latest ios 17 build. Anyone else having this problem? Right now we can only use the outlook app.

k1121j

Suspended
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire
WOW! Windows 12 will be subscription based. I KNEW IT WAS COMING!

I BET APPLE MACOS WILL ALSO FOLLOW IN APPLE SILICON ONLY VERSIONS

Nope Apple is a hardware company they won’t do it. They avoid the word Monopoly a lot by doing so.

HJM.NL

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
Maybe one overheating fix but new problems arise for me.

Since I’ve installed iOS 17.03 I’ve noticed that my phone doesn’t charge with non-Apple cable. However the battery icon in the upper right corner indicates it is charging.

I thought my battery died and tried restarting my iPhone 13 Pro to see if it had any effect. I’ve tried different cables. Then I tried an original Apple cable and all worked as it supposed to work. I’m not using the original Apple cable because for me it’s not durable, too expensive and too short.

Anyone else experienced this issue?

flofixer

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2016
California

Really good stress test. It's definitely HW issue.
No. It could as easily be a software issue that can be fixed. The iOS version of the software and the android version of the software are different. One could be better tuned than the other. If also looked like the temps were higher on the android device at the end. Very biased review

Mother Nature

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2023
Colombia
No. It could as easily be a software issue that can be fixed. The iOS version of the software and the android version of the software are different. One could be better tuned than the other. If also looked like the temps were higher on the android device at the end. Very biased review
I don't know why they keep comparing an "out of the box" phone, with a phone that has received plenty of OS Upgrades (for the past 6 months) to optimize it. It's simply unbalanced.

Reactions: flofixer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.