Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Top Stories: Late October Apple Event?, iPhone 12 Pro in Dark Blue, 12-Inch MacBook With A14X Chip

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2016
What makes you think that, curious ? Do you know of many iPhones or iPads that are 6-7-8-9-10 years old and still working ?
Well, my iPhone 6 is still working, but I do agree with you that Apple silicon won't make anything last longer. My 2015 MBP is also still working. And the previous laptops I've had also lasted well. I've found the longevity of Apple products to be pretty good, regardless of Apple or Intel silicon (at least the older generation stuff, I have doubts about the newer laptops due to so much stuff being soldered together making for prohibitively expensive repairs once they get older). It's rarely the CPU that dies, it's all the other things that break first, and then it comes down to repair cost vs resale value. It appears to me that Apple's end goal for laptop repairability is to have 100% of the parts all soldered and glued together, so if any component breaks, you will have to replace the entire laptop. They are getting closer and closer to that goal. And when they reach it, there will be almost no one willing to buy them anymore. The decline of growth has already been happening since 2016 when they added the soldered RAM and glued battery to the SSD on the list of non-repairable components.

Attachments

• Mac sales 2016-2019 annotated.png
    Mac sales 2016-2019 annotated.png
    899.8 KB · Views: 20

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2016
Yes. IMO it's been happening since 2013/14. My July 2006 black MacBook still works. My March 2014 MacAir's screen started to flicker in October 2017 and stopped working October 2019. My October 2019 MacPro's hd was flawed out of the box, kept crashing. Genius Bar confirmed & exchanged 2 days later. Tech told me the newer line of laptops were not reliable, that "we see a lot these coming back daily," & he highly stressed AppleCare because he couldn't guarantee it would last like previous cycles. He wasn't selling me because I wasn't buying that day. In fact, he told me to hold off purchasing altogether, but alas, my 2014 Air was inoperable and I needed a computer.
I agree that longevity has been in decline, and I think that's matched by declining sales growth. Have a look at this chart!

Attachments

899.8 KB · Views: 14

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2016
I think with Apple Silicon they'll actually last longer now.
Well, my iPhone 6 is still working, but so is my 2015 MBP. And the previous laptops I've had also lasted well. I've found the longevity of Apple products to be pretty good, regardless of Apple or Intel silicon (at least the older generation stuff, I have doubts about the newer laptops due to so much stuff being soldered together making for prohibitively expensive repairs once they get older). It's rarely the CPU that dies, it's all the other things that break first, and then it comes down to repair cost vs resale value. It appears to me that Apple's end goal for laptop repairability is to have 100% of the parts all soldered and glued together, so if any component breaks, you will have to replace the entire laptop. They are getting closer and closer to that goal. And when they reach it, there will be almost no one willing to buy them anymore. The decline of growth has already been happening since 2016 when they added the soldered RAM and glued battery to the SSD on the list of non-repairable components.

Attachments

899.8 KB · Views: 15

capandjudy

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2013
Huntington, WV
After owning Audio Technica and Sony XM3’s, I’m curious how Apple can rival with their studio headphones. I know they will have some unique features, and we all know the price point will be verging over $399, but I’m just curious how they will push the competition, especially with the sound being the primary focus.
Since when has Apple seriously considered sound quality?

rxp

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2018
I'm excited about the headphones. Apple had some real stunning innovation with the Air Pods Pro. They got all the isolation, none of the discomfort and a remarkable transparency mode. They basically kept all the benefits of an open earpod design and added all the isolation of a deep insert IEM.

Reading the patent application I'm excited about what they'll do on headphones. We know from the Beats and APP's that their ANC is top notch even compared to Bose and Sony. I'm expecting remarkable comfort with a unique headband that has a linear clamping force no matter how big your head. The ability to fold flat will be unique too. Just hoping for a mic as good as the Bose 700s.

Sine headphones are minimum phase devices, the frequency response entirely determines the sound quality. With modern processing in phones you can EQ it to whatever you like. So sound quality is a non-issue for me. All the other stuff like ANC, fit, comfort, features, mic just can't be processed to improve.

Reactions: newyorksole

newyorksole

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
A few years ago I would’ve loved to have a Navy Blue iPhone. Now all I like is silver and gold.

I used to alternate. Black 5, White/Gold 5S, Black 6, Rose Gold 6S... Etc.

But since the iPhone X, I like the White/Silver look and have been only buying that colorway.

Howeverrrr! Blue is my absolute favorite color and this shade looks TOO good to pass up. Blue iPhone 12 Pro Max here I come!

StaceyMJ86

macrumors 68040
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I used to alternate. Black 5, White/Gold 5S, Black 6, Rose Gold 6S... Etc.

But since the iPhone X, I like the White/Silver look and have been only buying that colorway.

Howeverrrr! Blue is my absolute favorite color and this shade looks TOO good to pass up. Blue iPhone 12 Pro Max here I come!

Blue is my favorite color as well, but since I’ve seen multiple people have issues with the sides of their iPhones changing colors, I figure to play it safe and buy silver this year and get AppleCare+, since I’ll be holding onto this phone for 2-3 years.

Reactions: newyorksole

mousekiks

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2014
Was it used a lot?
It was my go to for music while I was in college. So, at least 4 years. I had switched to iPhone towards the end. It’s sitting on a dock for my surround sound right now. Played games in it during class too lol.

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
Show me a Pro machine on Apple silicon with the power of AMD APUs and I will get excited. Until then ... it’s just another iPad.

BTW, rumor has it that Apple is going to reintroduce the butterfly keyboard again with the 12” MB. If true, buyers are either unknowing beta-testers or suckers.

leicaman

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Carlsbad, CA
There is zero chance the SOC in any Apple silicon device is going to be called A14X. That's an iPad Pro processor, and that's not what is coming in Macs. Period. It won't be called Apple silicon either, is my bet. There will be a new designation for the SOC, which is going to be the whole system (memory, processor, GPU, etc.) and they probably won't even talk about a discreet microprocessor or CPU.

Also, I'm betting the AirTags won't look anything like that. Way too fat, way to clumsy. I'm betting they will be shaped in a unique way that makes Tiles look like antiques.

George Dawes

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
I wonder why they're taking so long to update the ATV ?

Maybe they're going to put a really super duper powerful chip in to compete with the Ps5 ??

newyorksole

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Blue is my favorite color as well, but since I’ve seen multiple people have issues with the sides of their iPhones changing colors, I figure to play it safe and buy silver this year and get AppleCare+, since I’ll be holding onto this phone for 2-3 years.

Yeah that makes sense. You can get a nice blue case too.

😎

Reactions: StaceyMJ86

GalileoSeven

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2015
An ultraportable like this MB, priced like the old 11" MBA would definitely get me to ditch my iPad and go back to a laptop

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen

I had black iPhone 3G, white iPhone 4S, white iPhone 5S, white/gold 6S, current white/silver iPhone X, I like the sage green and the dark blue sounds attractive.. they should offer that with copper colored metal parts.
[automerge]1599500697[/automerge]
This year will be the first time I’m adding Apple Leather Cases to my list of cases. I’ve only used Caseology clear cases with my XS Max.

I've been using the BookBook case from Twelve South since iPhone 4S.. It's also my wallet.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors 68040
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I had black iPhone 3G, white iPhone 4S, white iPhone 5S, white/gold 6S, current white/silver iPhone X, I like the sage green and the dark blue sounds attractive.. they should offer that with copper colored metal parts.
[automerge]1599500697[/automerge]

I've been using the BookBook case from Twelve South since iPhone 4S.. It's also my wallet.

I like that the case resembles a book.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.