Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CJ Dorschel

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2019
Berlin
It will be, just a couple of card slots id guess, but thats cool. Go full scale MacPro if you want the most flexibility. It'll be around for a while and still a powerhouse.
I just don’t understand why Apple didn’t return to the 2000’s PowerMac/Mac Pro factor with a simple logic board that doesn’t need Afterburner support, etc. Just update it with Thunderbolt 3, USB 3.x, WiFiac/BTLE, SATA III, etc. I did all that with my 4,1 and 5,1 Mac Pro’s including an AMD sapphire Radeon Pulse 8GB GPU and all Apple genuine parts for WiFi ac/BTLE as well as a SATA III PCIe boot SSD, USB-C PCIe card, etc. I got Thunderbolt 2 working but it was a PITA having to boot windows and fidget with it. Sold them while they were worth the money.

The trashcan Mac Pro’s have lasted me 6-7 years but it’s time to upgrade. I just can’t bring myself to spend $6k on a base model Mac Pro which will require an MPX module at $2200 to put my 4 external drives into the system so i can ditch my Thunderbolt 2 arrays otherwise what’s the point of internal storage if you have to get another adapter? I could use the two SATA III connections with a third 2.5” drive and throw in an extra SSD blade but that requires a $200-300 adapter and I’d lose storage space as I have 40 TB’s of HDD’s - 20TB‘s I could keep but 20 TB’s of SSD storage will be a lot of extra funds which means the Promise MPX module for 4 SATA bays at $2200 ends up being the better option.

So even a base Mac Pro will run $7200 min which is absurd.

I sincerely hope Apple is developing a Mac Pro for prosumers as they used to with a starting price tag of $3k and anyone who wants to trick it out for professional use can. The 2019’s logic board is the main cost factor as it was developed for expandability with specific hardware in mind. Just throw in the iMac Pro logic board into the form factor - the same board from the 2010‘s With PCIe, SATA III, etc. I don’t need an iMac Pro as I have 3 5K UltraFine displays. I keep looking for refurbished Mac Pro’s for around $5200 or so and figure in the trade in of one of my 2014 Mac Pro’s at about $1100 and am tempted but what’s the point if I still have to use my Pegasus Thunderbolt 2 array’s?

It’s such a mess. I sincerely hope Apple is producing a dedicated display line like the 3 CCFL LCD’s they used to make at reasonable prices and a truly upgradable mid tower system. Otherwise I don’t know what my next move will be.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I have a question no one seems to have an answer for...if the Airpods 3rd gen are about to be released and there supposed to be replacing the 2nd gen. Meaning the 3rd gen most likely won’t have the high end noise cancellation feature present in the AirPods Pro...then why are the AirPods Pro being discounted on Amazon for $199.00

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Behind the times i know but ordered MagSafe Wallet today so will look forward to trying it out

acader

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2018
West
Heading the Windows Vista way!!!

At one point in time, it was the software+hardware that defined Apple. This was Steve Jobs' vision. Now the software is buggy and hardware is eh....

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
I respect Apple for reversing the horrible design decisions made in 2016 to the MBP (drop Magsafe, drop legacy ports, add Touch Bar, etc.) And with the new processors this thing will be THE BEST EVER!!!

wanha

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2020
Genuinely excited for the new MacBook Pro with MagSafe, MiniLed, and more ports. Let's goooo!

wanha

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2020
Yea, NO FREAKIN' WAY I'm putting my driver's license, military ID, and credit cards on a magnetic thingie on my phone that can very easily and unnoticeably fall off.

I'll carry a real wallet, thank you very much, and use the wallet-less phone itself to pay with until the battery dies, at which point I'll whip out my real wallet and credit cards.

Call me old-fashioned.
Ok. You're old-fashioned. :)

wanha

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2020
The Mac Pro better not be a larger Mac mini with less or no upgradability.
Considering Apple made a VERY public reversal with the Mac Pro to make it MORE upgradable just two years ago, it would be downright insane for them to undo everything they just did and lose all the goodwill they gained from it.

GagggedforMac

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2021
I'm seriously hoping the number of USB-A and USB-C ports is accurate as in the back end of the iMac mockup images (/render) anyone want to hazard a guess how many there will be?

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
Considering Apple made a VERY public reversal with the Mac Pro to make it MORE upgradable just two years ago, it would be downright insane for them to undo everything they just did and lose all the goodwill they gained from it.
Wouldn't be the first time. Nor the last.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.