Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

This week saw the launch of the final product from Apple's January hardware announcements, with the second-generation HomePod making its way into customers' hands.

top-stories-4feb2023.jpg

Other news and rumors this week included signs of an interim iOS 16.3.1 bug fix update in the works as we await a fresh round of beta testing for a more significant iOS 16.4 update, a report on the potential dangers of using AirTags to track your pets, and Apple's earnings release for the December quarter, so read on for all the details on these stories and more!

New HomePod Reviews Offer Hands-On Look at Sound Quality and More

Apple's second-generation HomePod became available on Friday, several weeks after its unveiling and the start of pre-orders. Ahead of the launch, the first reviews of the smart speaker were shared by select media publications and YouTube channels, offering a hands-on look at the device.

HomePod-2-White-and-Midnight-Feature-Purple-Orange.jpg

Priced at $299, the new HomePod features a virtually identical design as the full-size HomePod that Apple discontinued in March 2021, but with two fewer tweeters and microphones. Reviews tested the new HomePod's sound quality compared to the original model and more.

And if you're just getting your new HomePod, make sure to check out our comprehensive guide with all sorts of tips and how-tos to help you make the most of your new smart speaker.

Apple Explains Why HomePod Was Released Again, Wi-Fi 4 Limitation, and More

A pair of Apple employees discussed the new HomePod this week in a series of wide-ranging interviews, revealing some fresh details about the speaker.

HomePod-2-iPhone-Feature-Blue-Orange.jpg

Apple explained why it decided to release a full-size HomePod again after discontinuing the original model a few years ago, and addressed some of the new model's limitations, including Wi-Fi 4 support and incompatibility with the original HomePod for stereo pairing.

Apple Smart Home Display: Everything We Know

Apple is working on a new iPad-like accessory that is designed to serve as a central hub for smart home management. The Apple TV and the HomePod are already home hubs, but Apple is reportedly designing an all-in-one home management device.

iPad-iOS-16-WP-Display-Feature-eric-edit.jpeg

To learn more, check out our new guide that aggregates everything that we know so far about Apple's planned smart home device, including potential features.

Apple Preparing iOS 16.3.1 for iPhone as Wait for iOS 16.4 Beta Continues

Apple appears to be preparing an iOS 16.3.1 update for the iPhone, based on evidence of the software in our website's analytics logs this week. It's unclear when the update will be released, but it will likely be available at some point in February.

iOS-16.3.1-Public-Beta-Feature.jpg

In the meantime, the wait continues for the first beta of iOS 16.4, which will likely be a more significant update with new features. See: When Will iOS 16.4 Be Released?

Report Highlights Danger of Using AirTags for Tracking Dogs

Apple's AirTag may provide a convenient way for tracking dogs that might get off leash or otherwise lost, but there are dangers associated with the practice, as outlined by a report from The Wall Street Journal. For example, there have been some incidents of dogs swallowing an AirTag, which can cause harm.

dewey-airtag.jpg

Following the launch of the AirTag in 2021, Apple stressed that the accessory is designed to track items, not people or pets.

Apple Reports 1Q 2023 Results: $30.0B Profit on $117.2B Revenue Amid 'Challenging Environment'

Apple on Thursday released its financial results for the quarter ending in December, reporting a roughly 5% decline in revenue compared to the year-ago quarter. Apple cited a "challenging environment" that included iPhone supply issues which hampered its ability to ship devices to customers.

Apple-Logo-Cash-Blue.jpg

As part of its announcement, Apple revealed that its user base has surpassed two billion active devices worldwide and that its Apple Pay Later installment service will be launching "soon." Apple CEO Tim Cook and CFO Luca Maestri touched on a number of other topics in their earnings conference call as well.

MacRumors Newsletter

Each week, we publish an email newsletter like this highlighting the top Apple stories, making it a great way to get a bite-sized recap of the week hitting all of the major topics we've covered and tying together related stories for a big-picture view.

So if you want to have top stories like the above recap delivered to your email inbox each week, subscribe to our newsletter!

Article Link: Top Stories: New HomePod Launches, iOS 16.3.1 Coming Soon, and More

JWD

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2012
iOS 16 is 1 of about 3 major iOS upgrades over the years since my iPhone 3GS I wish I never did. Hopefully 16.3.1 is a step back to stability and having a functional device.

Reactions: decypher44

macsplusmacs

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2014
I thought air tags would be a great pet tag. I experimented and sadly, its just not there yet. We need something that is smaller than a GPS collar size but can still find them a few houses away at least. no solution on the horizon that I am aware of sadly.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Apple on Thursday released its financial results for the quarter ending in December, reporting a roughly 5% decline in revenue compared to the year-ago quarter. Apple cited a "challenging environment" that included iPhone supply issues which hampered its ability to ship devices to customers.
It could have been a lot worse since Apple was still dealing with China’s zero policy up to Dec 2020 then finally got changed, that effected a goodly part of manufacturing. Thankfully we are now past that now so the quarter ending March will be a lot better. That was evident with all the announcements early January.

For instance, China's zero-COVID policy has led to major iPhone shortages heading into the holidays, according to a report released by Ives on Monday. Shortages have reached as low as 35% of typical holiday inventory in some stores, causing overall iPhone demand to outstrip supply by a ratio of 3 to 1, he found.

The iPhone shortage is the "poster child" of a larger trend, Ives told ABC News. The zero-COVID policy continues to reduce the supply of goods from China by an estimated 10% to 20%, he said.

Last edited:

F-B-Z

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2022
Germany
So excited about 16.3.1! Maybe new emojis? I hope I can take a day or two off to update all my devices.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Apple explained why it decided to release a full-size HomePod again after discontinuing the original model a few years ago, and addressed some of the new model's limitations, including Wi-Fi 4 support and incompatibility with the original HomePod for stereo pairing.
The weird decision of the week is why Apple choose to rerelease the full sized Home Pod again with old WiFi 4 (802.11N) range issues compared to WiFi5 (802.11AC)?
"HomePod features Wi-Fi 4 connectivity that allows us to target exactly what works best in the entire system," Costello tells TechCrunch, "making sure Siri requests are responsive, and ensuring a consistent experience for all you are listening to, controlling your smart home accessories and more — all while being energy efficient."

Last edited:

apexsky7

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2022
Got two homepods yesterday and didn't know connecting my iPhone to homepods was hard.

haincha

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
Still no official word on the Apple TV remote disconnect issues? That is infuriating my wife more than anything. She’s about to throw the thing out the window.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Still no official word on the Apple TV remote disconnect issues? That is infuriating my wife more than anything. She’s about to throw the thing out the window.
I thought the 3rd gen ATV4K remote Bluetooth pairing issue was fixed, I had one occurrence during the time it was reported and several tvOS 16.3 betas to 16.3 RC I haven’t had another instance. Do you also control it with a iOS/IpadOS using the OS's built in remote via control center. If you do I would un-pair and re-pair it using that.

JanoschR

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2011
Germany
The new HomePods run 16.0, it was a mess updating them to 16.3 (when you have already upgraded to the new Home architecture). They are stuck in ‘Configuring‘. That’s what 16.3.1 is for. Additionally, it confirms that the HomePod was originally set for late last year (when 16.0 was brand new).

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
I am hanging out for the next update of TVOS. My USBC controller on my new AppleTV keeps losing connection. Have to pull the plug on the box to fix it. I thought the last update would fix it but noooo.
Rebooted the controller today and it is working again after using it for a while at about 30cm, but I have no hope it is fixed.

apexsky7

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2022
I am returning both of them soon. They work nicely as a replacement of a soundbar however, I can't seem to find a way to connect speakers with my phone. It's just there is no option showing when I am trying to airplay them.

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
I am returning both of them soon. They work nicely as a replacement of a soundbar however, I can't seem to find a way to connect speakers with my phone. It's just there is no option showing when I am trying to airplay them.
This should work

1. Plug HomePod into power and wait for a chime. Place HomePod or HomePod mini on a solid surface with at least 6 inches of space around it and plug it into power.
  2. Hold your unlocked iPhone or iPad over HomePod.
  3. Customize your HomePod settings.
  4. Wait for setup to complete.

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
No new features until the existing ones and the core IOS stable. Ideally all future updates should only happen on the IOS number not anytime during the after core dot updates. Apple fans once had great time mocking Windows for all of its bloated software. Welcome to Apple bloat.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.