Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Top Stories: Try the 5.4-Inch iPhone 12 Display Size, Blockbuster Earnings, Tim Cook at Antitrust Hearing

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
I remember modeling & rendering a mock-up of a Microsoft Courier-like config of a dual ipad just like this and posting it on this site when the ipad first came out. The entire idea was to move away from the typewriter keyboard to apps having their own programmable control surfaces on the horizontal half. Imagine it, a keyboard when you needed one for text, but the rest of the time, well organized, clearly arranged, contextual controls for the variables on the command you’re performing. Nope, it horrified almost everyone. People like memorizing a million “command+option+shift+f4“ hotkey combos on their typewriter interfaces.

I would be horrified if it was limited to either a keyboard or contextual controls. it should be second screen that you could use any way you want. I would LOVE a connector like this, as long as it makes two iPads into a dual screen single device.

No, people like tangible, physical keys. See also: the butterfly keyboard.

Some do, I actually prefer typing on the iPad screen - I’ve become quite proficient with it!

I've said it before and will say it again. Apple is declining due to Cook's incompetent style. Hope someone new comes in soon to replace him, as Apple has turned from a good company to a company of greed and corporate imperialism. I am in no way for anything leftist, just noting the obvious about Apple's direction under Cook and it seems it will not be a bright one given these lawsuits.

Always good to maintain a sense of humor in times like this!

Grayballs

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2018
I've said it before and will say it again. Apple is declining due to Cook's incompetent style. Hope someone new comes in soon to replace him, as Apple has turned from a good company to a company of greed and corporate imperialism. I am in no way for anything leftist, just noting the obvious about Apple's direction under Cook and it seems it will not be a bright one given these lawsuits.
We can always lament the loss of Steve Jobs and the changes to the company direction under Cook; I just hope that his successor is more from the mold of Steve!
I've been a (private) Mac user since 1989 - mostly worked in Windows environments but always happy to get home at the end of the day to do my own stuff on my Mac.
These days I am somewhat less than enamoured with Apple's hardware and software......
- my 15" MacBook Pro with Butterfly keyboard is booked in for its second keyboard service/replacement.
- my 2yo 3TB Timecapsule just died; that one having replaced (for free thankfully!) my previous identical one due to its untimely demise.
- my iPad Air 2 died a few months back - took it to my local authorised Apple reseller for repair; nope, no repair, just an exchange for an identical refurbished model for AUD550! It may only have been the failure of a $5 component, but I'll never know!!!
- MacOS updates - far too many things I'd like to say, but in summary I feel there is too much 'window dressing' and change for the sake of change in updates; not necessarily enhancements and/or improvements - just changes......this trend seemed to coincide with Cooks arrival.
- my iPhone XR; I can't wait for my contract renewal and to get rid of it. Functionally fine, but for format it is a fat, heavy sod of a thing. The 12 should be out by then and I'll look at the smaller iteration as a possible replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.