Top story on USA Today.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lilj4425, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Quote: "The price will also rock: $199..."

As though they know. Idiots.

2. lilj4425 thread starter macrumors 6502

It's presto, change-o. LOL. :D

3. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

cheese us:rolleyes:

no wonder ebay prices are dropping. they say usa today requires about a 5 year olds intelligence level:p

4. DreamPod macrumors 65816

So, did you totally ignore...the rest of that statement?

"The price also will rock: $199, according to people with knowledge of the matter, down from the current $399 and $499. Sources declined to be cited by name or affiliation because Apple and AT&T haven't authorized anybody to speak publicly about pricing until after Monday's announcement. The $199 price is being subsidized, though USA TODAY could not confirm details."

So in what way does that sound like they are making a statement about something they know?

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The fact that they write it as though it is fact until the last throwaway sentence stating, "Oh, we don't really know this."

6. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

its called selective referencing i do believe.
    well, it doesn't have an actual term, but we can call it that for now.
    you extract information from a source and use only that to support your argument.
    a slightly flawed technique should someone look it up, but an effective one nevertheless

:D

7. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

i hate that. always on the local news too.

a reporter will say "and coming up next you will hear when you will be able to purchase the 3G iPhone" when all they say is that WWDC is on the 9th.

8. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I'm sure i've seen a few of these. e.g.
    http://www.macscoop.com/articles/2008/06/01/iphone-3g-no-gps-same-old-2mp-camera
    You gotta love an article that goes from trusted sources, to covering there behind in the space of a few sentences.

you could almost have a competition to find the worst of the bunch, in relation to WWDC/iPhone.

Edit: Thinking about it - I've heard far far far worse journalism: Radio 1 news. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr

9. mmoosa macrumors 6502

mmoosa

the papers talk rubbish half the time, every time i read an article i always find they assume everything and make up the rest.

10. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Wow, a few things in that article that just seem awkward in means of sources, so much for a paper.