Top Taskbar or Bar, Can you move icons?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MattGarner, Jun 20, 2008.

1. MattGarner macrumors regular

I call it the top taskbar, if anyone has the correct name then please tell. But I was wondering can you move the icons (the ones that show are running/ Temperature, Date etc) around.

[​IMG]

^ That, I want the "Date and Time" more to the right near the bluetooth,wireless. Does anyone know if this can be done on OSX?

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

thats the Menu Bar and those are Menu Bar icons or "apps".

you can move around the icons which where made with Apple's API like the default OS X ones or the iStat menus by holding command and dragging them. the other Menu Bar icons have to opened in the order you want them to appear.

3. MattGarner thread starter macrumors regular

Thank You! =]

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Something Apple needs to work on for the next release. How hard can it be to allow any and all menu bar icons to be rearranged?

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

its more the Developers themselves. all they have to do is use Apple's API which iSlayer does, the Developers of iStat Menus.

6. rev316 macrumors regular

Actually,

Apple doesn't support applications to have movable menu bar icons. It's a private, and undocumented API. Many developers discourage it (how I found out); as it's subject to breakage (the "hacks" involved to get the behavior).

But it's great to have with some apps, isn't it? :)

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

8. rev316 macrumors regular

They use community-documented technique of reverse-engineering one of the private APIs. Figuring out how they work so one could "plug" their code into it. Of course its more involved then that, but thats the gist of it. For why that behavior doesn't come out of the box is sorta baffling.