top ten major issues to avoid/look for with the new pros?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maker, May 12, 2010.

1. maker macrumors newbie

hey guys, awesome forum. been poking around. just about to order a pro, and thinking 15 i7. i see freeze issues, etc going on with these new ones.

what are the major issues to look for with the new books, and are there any solves, or hardware/software/firmware switches that can address these things?

thanks for all your help in advance!

2. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Crap battery life caused by graphics switching issues. There are workarounds, although not very elegant.

Other than that, you've pretty much got your bases covered. Heat and battery seem to be the major complaints. Poor LCDs also seem to be an issue in the 15 and 17 inchers. All the i5 & i7 machines also come with a crap underclocked GPU, but that's probably for the best considering the heat issues that the machines are already facing.

They're not a bad machine overall, but Apple could do (and has done in the past) much better.

3. ZTuned macrumors member

1. Right-side speaker bias because of the subwoofer. (unfixable)
    2. Metallic/Glassy "tink" sound occurring from an unknown source at the slightest movements (Not the sudden motion sensor!)

4. maker thread starter macrumors newbie

are these issues deal breakers, and not fixable at some point by apple?
    should i stick with the safer core duo in the 13 incher?

i mean, jeez! speakers, screen, heat, speed, noises? wow.

i mean, are there any positives??

5. silencer88 macrumors member

Sure there are. They dont all have these problems. Mine runs cool, no crashes. My lcd looks great.

The only issue I have is the graphics switching technology, and that's something that will be addressed with software updates. My system gets stuck on the Nvidia GPU when using certain programs that don't really need it, which can hurt battery life.

But you asked for the top 10 major issues, and you got a list of issues. What did you expect? A few people on the forums have a screen issue and it becomes a "known issue".

6. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Not necessarily deal breakers, and some people will claim that these issues don't effect them at all, or only very slightly. However, there's no denying that the issues exist.

Honestly, the 13" is the safer bet, but when you play it safe, you can never win big. In exchange for a more tried and tested design, you're getting older processors and an even slower video card.

Still, the 13" has a lot less complaints than the i5 & i7 MBPs so I'd tend to lean towards that one.

7. shadygrove macrumors regular

You kidding me? My machine run 50-60 degrees C on average. It hasn't froze a single time. And it boots up in less than 20 seconds and apps are launched instantly. Only issue I have is not with the machine or hardware, just the GPU switching which is so completely minor and only effects battery life to a small degree (at least in my machine regarding the apps I use).

8. maker thread starter macrumors newbie

oh good, thank god. lol

so what do the percentages seem to be for getting a jacked up one? do most folks here have issues, or do most not?

9. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

People here are not representative of anything at all. Like I literally mean nothing. When a problem exists, a few people here will acknowledge it, a few will bash Apple for it, and a few will praise Apple, saying it's a feature (save money on oil with your new macbook heater!)

Watch the tech blogs and other (semi) impartial sources. The heat and battery issues 'seem' widespread, but not much else has been discussed outside these forums.

10. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

I think these issues are blown way out of proportion. My 15" is perfectly fine absolutely no issues. I picked this thing apart the day it came in looking for the slightest flaw and have found none. If you want a 15 order one and don't look back.

11. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I'd tend to agree . . . I'm so pleased with my 2010 13" MBP, 2.66, 256ssd, 8gb ram that's future proof enough for me :D

12. matttung macrumors member

I had that tinking sound as well when I first received it!

But it doesn't seem to 'tink' anymore, after using it for almost a month.