Topic -- Fortnightly Challenge -- April 30 thru May 14

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by JohnMC, Apr 28, 2010.

1. JohnMC macrumors 6502

It seems I need learn to read a calendar better, I just realized our current challenge ends tomorrow at midnight. We need to discuss a new topic, but I will keep this thread open until we reach a consensus. Topics away...

John

2. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Metal, plastic, water, glass, fire. One of these or all of them

3. JohnMC thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I didn't want to go with pure elements - although we could, so I expanded it a little but couldn't think of a good word.

Maybe "Materials" ...... I've been studying biochemistry for several days non-stop and couldn't think of a scientific word for the topic I want .......:eek:

5. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

6. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

OK - "Elemental" is a good word - my brain is scrambled.

7. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I like Elements. How about defining it as the natural elements? Earth, Wind, Fire & Water?

Since it's Spring, I can still kick my old buddy Colorful in here...

Dale

8. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

9. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

It's nearly closing time, folks. So far we have this to work with:

Elemental (No definition)

Elements: Earth, Air, Fire & Water (singular or in combination)

We have a general consensus, but we need to define it better.

The clock is ticking [__==:eek:==__]

Dale

10. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

would old musical groups count for earth, wind and fire?

There was one subject I used for a weekly contest, but it was a bit of a bust because the concept wasn't explained too clearly... but I still like it, 'environmental portraits."
    I like the other topics, too, especially for this week... but maybe one day we can revisit this topic, because it's got a lot of room for creativity...and storytelling. Think of it as an assignment to shoot a cover for a magazine, or a two-page inside picture heading up a feature article. Maybe it would take a lot of us out of our usual comfort zone, and produce some great images...

Here's the wiki definition...

11. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

Ok, just for the heck of it I'll throw in one more towards the end. I'm going to be spending a few days out in the woods by myself with nothing to do at night. (this is for fun, not hiding from the law). So I was thinking of Nightlife. Could be interepreted a few ways but mostly shots after sunset with articial light or no light, low shutter speeds.

Other than that I'm cool with elements I just wish we could refine it a bit. I think we might get a ton of landscapes and waterfall pics. Unfortunately, I don't have any brilliant ideas on how to focus it a little bit.

12. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

You seem to do this often. I don't believe you on the latter part...:cool:

This is what the Mac OS dictionary has to say for Element.

element |ˈeləmənt|
    noun
    1 a part or aspect of something abstract, esp. one that is essential or characteristic : the death had all the elements of a great tabloid story | there are four elements to the proposal.
    • a small but significant presence of a feeling or abstract quality : it was the element of danger he loved in flying.
    • ( elements) the rudiments of a branch of knowledge : legal training may include the elements of economics and political science.
    • [usu. with adj. ] (often elements) a group of people of a particular kind within a larger group or organization : extreme right-wing elements in the army.
    • Mathematics & Logic an entity that is a single member of a set.
    2 (also chemical element) each of more than one hundred substances that cannot be chemically interconverted or broken down into simpler substances and are primary constituents of matter. Each element is distinguished by its atomic number, i.e., the number of protons in the nuclei of its atoms.
    • any of the four substances (earth, water, air, and fire) regarded as the fundamental constituents of the world in ancient and medieval philosophy.
    • one of these substances considered as a person's or animal's natural environment (in his/her/it's element) : for the islanders, the sea is their kingdom, water their element | figurative she was in her element with doctors and hospitals.
    • ( the elements) the weather, esp. strong winds, heavy rain, and other kinds of bad weather : there was no barrier against the elements.
    • ( elements) (in church use) the bread and wine of the Eucharist.
    3 a part in an electric teapot, heater, or stove that contains a wire through which an electric current is passed to provide heat.
    • on some electric typewriters, a ball with raised letters that print when the keys are pressed

I see children learning; people at a rally; landscapes, seascapes, fire and such; swimmers,bikers, climbers, fisher folk and such; storms and a bunch of other possibilities.

Plenty of latitude for creativity as long as we remind people to think out of the box. That's part of the Challenge, right?

Dale

13. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

OK - shall we take a risk and go with "Element(s)" and and hope for not too many sunsets:)

14. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Okay, let's agree on no sunsets... it'll make me have to get creative... ;)

15. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Agreed - no sunsets.

16. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

LOL...I can neither confirm nor deny my own whereabouts.;)

Elements works. I plan on being in my element out in the elements. I suggest you post the definitions and examples you gathered with the new challenge. It will give folks more ideas.

No sunsets? What if I capture the world's greatest "kitten playing with flower during sunset" shot?:rolleyes:

17. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

This is what the Mac OS dictionary has to say for Element (edited).

element |ˈeləmənt|
    noun

• ( elements) the rudiments of a branch of knowledge
    • a group of people of a particular kind within a larger group or organization
    • any of the four substances (earth, water, air, and fire) regarded as the fundamental constituents of the world in ancient and medieval philosophy.
    • A person's or animal's natural environment (in his/her/it's element)
    • ( the elements) the weather, esp. strong winds, heavy rain, and other kinds of bad weather

Examples: children learning; people at a rally; landscapes, seascapes, fire and such; swimmers,bikers, climbers, fisher folk and such; storms and a bunch of other possibilities.

Plenty of latitude for creativity. Think out of the box. That's part of the Challenge.

I edited the definition. How about this?

Dale

18. JohnMC thread starter macrumors 6502

Since there has been no more discussion on this, I will post a new challenge tomorrow morning.

John