Topic - Fortnightly Challenge - Oct 31 thru Nov 13

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by JohnMC, Oct 27, 2010.

1. JohnMC macrumors 6502

It is time to again look at the fortnightly challenge. We have had some trouble in the last couple rounds get topics up on time, which is almost completely my fault. I would like to also ask this time, if anyone has any opinions on how the challenge is going. Any topics or opinions?

John

2. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I think the challenge has been great. I get to learn from everyone else on composition, camera settings, getting constructive feed back. Doing what you are, i.e., setting up the topic ahead of time, is a good idea. Maybe 1 day to suggest topics, one day to vote-setting time limits.

Topics suggestions: I's/Eye(s)/Ayes Have It (the "I" shape, eyes, ayes-yes, nautical you get the idea); Fluid; Sports; Exertion, Autumn.

3. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I think the Challenge has suffered (?) from an increase in the quality of images posted. This all started as a thread for folks relatively unskilled in photography to post on a topic and get feedback. For quite a while it was mostly a three dude show, but has expanded to attract photos from some of the better shooters on the Digital Photo forum. The higher quality of photos has reduced the c&c posts. I think.

I have cut back on my laundry list of ideas to give others more of a voice in the topic. I like the idea of debating for topics and felt that users were going with my suggestions too easily. Dreaming up outlandish ideas is one of the great parts of the creative process.

Overall, I still believe it has it's place here. Sometimes the Contest bogs down, sometimes POTD bogs down. Why should the Challenge be any different?

Fall/Autumn has been proposed, so how about Orange?

Dale

4. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I like it. I was going to include that in my list.

5. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

The last time we had an open discussion someone was interested in the following:

Kitchen

And someone always seems to go for:

Food

Dale

6. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

I agree Dale, sometimes the quality of the pics makes it difficult to c&c. Even perfect pics could use some sort of comment even if it's just to say they are perfect. I think it's been proposed before to make it a rule/suggestion for the challenge that if you post a pic you have to comment on at least one other photo. Not sure if that's necessary. Overall I think the challenge is going fine. It draws lots of participation sometimes and other times it doesn't. I know some weeks I don't have any time to participate.

I suggested kitchen last time and I'll second it. The idea being that anything goes as long as the image somehow conveys that is was physically taken in the kitchen. I tend to like the challenges that make me take new shots.

7. mtnbikemama macrumors member

I like Kitchen. It will force me to do something new & different, and I will have to take something specifically for this challenge rather than finding something I have already taken. And, being a stay at home mom, I spend A LOT of time in the kitchen!

8. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

So far we have the following topic suggestions. Cool symbols indicate interest by more than one common tater...

I's/Eye(s)/Ayes Have It

Orange :cool:

Kitchen :cool: :cool:

Food

Keep it up, folks.

Dale