Tor Browser on 10.11.6

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by simon lefisch, Apr 2, 2017.

1. simon lefisch macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

Hey everyone,

Since our browsing data here in the states can now be sold without our consent, I wanted to install Tor Browser. However after installing it I try to run it and get the error message shown in the pic below. Had anyone had this problem and know of a way to get Tor Browser to work? I do have Little Snitch installed and tried turning off the network filter and still the same message. Even turned off my firewall and same problem. Can anyone help?

[​IMG]

2. Kingmanarts macrumors newbie

Kingmanarts

3. simon lefisch thread starter macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

I have a VPN and I use it when I'm at home or out and about. The problem is that when I'm at work I can't use my VPN since they don't have the correct ports open. I can't even use the Blow Fish protocol so I'm hoping that I could use Tor Browser, but I keep getting the error I posted above.

4. cobracnvt macrumors member

cobracnvt

Your work maybe blocking access to TOR in addition to blocking VPN connections.

5. HenryAZ macrumors 6502

HenryAZ

This has always been the case. The new rules prohibiting/restricting the practice were due to go into effect at the end of 2017. What Congress just did is to kill the new rules taking effect, so, nothing has changed and now won't change.

6. Skoal macrumors 65816

....And from what I understand this only affects the ability of your ISP to do what Google, Facebook, et al. have been legally doing all along.

7. HenryAZ macrumors 6502

HenryAZ

*Would have affected* is more like it. There were new rules due to go into effect at the end of 2017, which would have affected what your ISP could do with your data. What Congress just did was to kill those planned rules. So nothing has changed. Your ISP can collect and sell your data now and in the future, the same as they have been able to ever since there was a world wide web.