Tore the battery connection, possible to boot up without battery?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Lightss, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Lightss macrumors newbie

When I was removing my battery this morning I made the mistake of pulling a bit too hard and the connection from the battery ripped. This is not to be confused with not unscrewing it then tearing the unit you plug the battery into the phone out of the phone itself though. The little attachment is torn from the battery. I ordered a new one online but obviously with a shift based work schedule not having a phone for a few days can be very troublesome for both me and people trying to contact me.

When I plug it into a wall to boot up (no battery inside) it brings me to the set up screen and asks me to plug it into itunes. But when I plug it into my USB it just cycles through the apple logo then turning off. Is there any way for me to access my phone while I wait for the battery to come in? I've even thought about DIY repairing the old battery but It seems this doesn't really happen to many people so I couldn't find any guidelines :|

I was considering looking for a local place to pick up a battery but I'm pretty sure apple charges ~70 and AT&T would probably charge something similar. Seems kinda ridiculous when you can get one just as good for ~10 online. Being reliant on phones can really **** you over -__-

Thanks for any input!

2. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

That's like trying to use your car without gas. Don't think it's possible.

3. LT1FirebirdSLP macrumors newbie

If you are willing to risk damaging the unit (because I have never done it before) but if you plug it in and jumper the positive and negative pins on the battery connector, you might be able to get the unit to power on.

I would also try creatively taping the connector back together. Use sandpaper to rub off the insulator and get down to the conductor. Just make sure you don't reverse polarity, I think that would be a death blow for the device.

Good luck.

4. GalvaJ macrumors regular

GalvaJ

That's exactly the same thing that came to my mind when I read the title lol.