Torent app speed boost advice/help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kick26, Sep 3, 2009.

1. kick26 macrumors newbie

kick26

i have used vuze and transmission but about half the time i get a upload rate of 0kb/s and a download rate of 0kb/s. this happens with popular torrents and less than popular torrents. ive reset my airport and my internet box thing but it has had no effect
    so does any one know a way to speed this up?
    or
    does anyone know of a faster app?

2. j_maddison macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

it will be a config issue with your firewall

If you're after speed, try newsgroups

3. j_maddison macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

This might be oversimplifying things, but go to help in Vuse and then click Nat/firewall test

Click test and see if the port is blocked

4. chrysrobyn macrumors member

Sometimes trackers go down. It'll be hard to get a connection, but you'll be able to see it if you look at the details of that particular torrent.

Make sure uPNP is turned on, or your ports are forwarded correctly, then try like j_maddison says, and give the nat test a shot. You should be good there.

If you're really looking for "speed boost", and not actually talking about 0 kb/s, then you might be dealing with a crappy firewall. I had an old Asante firewall that finally gave up the ghost. Because I use VOIP, I shopped around and went looking for a QOS router, settling on the DGL 4100. Using that box is like night and day. Suddenly, pings to my local firewall are .1ms, instead of 2-3 ms. Torrent throughput to the outside world went up 50%, and torrents can coexist with VOIP without interruption or quality degradation. With my old Asante, I couldn't upload a torrent more than 30KBps. With this D-Link, I can saturate my connection at 50KBps -- and it barely goes down when I place a Vonage call (which sounds as good as Vonage ever does).

5. kick26 thread starter macrumors newbie

kick26

6. kick26 thread starter macrumors newbie

kick26

i did the nat/firewall test it said it timed out after 20 seconds and it said "This means your port is probably closed."